x0x RESTORATION OF NEMRUT, THE 8TH WONDER OF THE WORLD

  • trh@xxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27 7:57 AM
      x0x RESTORATION OF NEMRUT, THE 8TH WONDER OF THE WORLD

      GAZIANTEP, May 25 (AA) - Restoration of the Ruins of Nemrut in the Kahta
      country of the southeastern Adiyaman province has started with the
      cooperation of the Ministry of Culture, the Foundation for the Protection
      and Improvement of Cultural and Natural Heritage, the Turkish Democracy
      Foundation, and the Nemrut Foundation.

      The Ruins of Nemrut have been described by archaeological circles as 'The
      Eighth Wonder of the World'' and are included on the UNESCO World Cultural
      Heritage List.

      Under the restoration program giant statues and the monumental tomb which
      were built by King Antiochos I of Commagene in 30 B.C., will be restored
      over a five year period.

      The capital Samosata of the Commagene Kingdom that ruled Adiyaman and its
      surroundings from 162 B.C to 72 B.C., was flooded by the waters of the
      Ataturk Dam.

      Meanwhile, the tumulus which is assumed to be the tomb of King Antiochos I,
      has remained a secret for centuries because it was buried under rocks and
      soil.

      The opening of the monumental tomb is considered to the most important
      step of the restoration project.