x0x Turkish News for the week ending 17 August 2013

  • T.R.H.
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22 11:47 AM
      20130817trh
      {20130817trh.txt}

      x0x Turkish News for the week ending 17 August 2013

      [This is a transcript of the news broadcast on 17 August 2013]

      Courtesy of Turkish Radio Hour, producer of the

      TURKISH CULTURAL PROGRAM, every Saturday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.

      on KUSF-in-Exile: http://live365.com/play/kusfinexile

      Also tune to KKUP FM 91.5, Cupertino to hear the
      ORIENT EXPRESS every Tuesday at 10 P.M.

      Audio archives of our radio broadcasts are at: http://www.TurkRadio.us/ar/

      Also available as podcasts for your MP3 players at: http://turkradio.podomatic.com/

      Ahmet Toprak is the editor-in-chief. Your broadcast host is Murat Bayhan.

      If you wish to subscribe to the Internet edition of this news, send a blank email to:

      [To send a message to us please put the following code at the beginning of your subject "txuxrxk" AND remove the TurkC-L tag. Then use our trh at turkradio.us address. This is to prevent spam. Other e-mails may not be read.]

      [Uzun Internet adreslerini radyoda okumayin, $u duyuruyu yapin: "Look at the news section of our website for more details. www.Turkradio.us".]

      NEWS

      * According to Reuters correspondent Jonathon Burch, Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan on Thursday urged the U.N. Security Council to discuss what he called a massacre in Egypt and rounded on Western nations for failing to stop the bloodshed.
        Mr. Erdogan has been very critical of the Egyptian forces for using excessive force, and accusing the West for not interfering. However, some in Turkey find Mr. Erdogan hypocritical since he praised the Turkish police during June unrests in Turkey although they were documented using excessive force, and he also accused the West of encouraging the protestors.

      * According to the Lebanese paper Daily Star, Turkish nationals in Greater Beirut are reacting calmly to a threat made earlier this week that they are all targets for kidnapping, in the wake of the recent abduction of two Turkish Airlines pilots near Beirut Airport.
        A Lebanese group claim that Turkey is responsible for the abduction of their relatives by Syrian rebels, and are behind the abduction of the Turkish pilots.
        Washington Post reported that Lebanese authorities detained a man in connection with the abduction. Lebanese police and army troops also deployed in force outside Turkish businesses as well as diplomatic and cultural institutions in Beirut on Monday.
        Turkish Ambassador to Lebanon Inan Ozyildiz wondered how his country could be responsible for the abduction of the Lebanese pilgrims in Syria, saying that Turkey does not even have an embassy or consulate in the neighboring country, reported As Safir on Tuesday.
        Read more at >> here <<

      * Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan was misinformed during the Gezi Park protests and the redevelopment project was not handled in a democratic way, said a report prepared by the Eurasia Global Research Center (AGAM), chaired by Idris Bal, a Justice and Development Party deputy, reports the Hurriyet Daily News.
        The report, called "Taksim Incidents Analysis," said a small-scale local issue turned into a major crisis and chaos since the prime minister was misguided and became the principal side of the dispute. Mr. Bal's report defined the unrest's beginning as a "strategic mistake."
        The Gezi Park protests started May 31 when the Metropolitan Municipality bulldozers attempted to demolish central Istanbul's unique green area, Gezi Park. The Turkish police's heavy-handed intervention caused the protests to spread to 79 of 81 provinces.
        Four protesters were killed by police and some "anti-protest civilians," and a police officer fell off a bridge during an intervention and died. More than 10 protesters have lost their sight, and nearly 7,000 protesters were injured in almost 40 days of unrest, according to the Turkish Medical Association's toll.
        This could have been avoided by early interventions by the local Beyoglu Municipality or Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality, and Erdogan would be the actor to resolve the conflict.
        The report said the Taksim incidents started with the environmentalist sensitivity of a small group, but the police's intervention and the lack of dialogue caused the protests to transform to anger at first the prime minister and second at the government.
        The report also criticized "ballot box democracy," saying that winning elections did not mean that governments assumed omnipotent powers and claimed "the luxury to act as they desired until the next election."
        Read more at >> here <<

      ARTS AND CULTURE

      www.TurkRadio.us
      Bellini's portrait of Mehmet the Conqueror

      * One of the most famous sultans in Ottoman history, Mehmet the Conqueror, and Venetian painter Gentile Bellini "got together" in the Robert Moss Theater's play "Bellini and the Sultan," written and directed by Ed Stevens and produced by New York-based Turkish actress Ayse Eldek Richardson, according to a report by the Anatolia News Agency.
        The play, in which Eliud Kauffman portrayed Mehmet the Conqueror and Alan Smith portrayed Bellini, was staged as part of the 17th Annual New York International Fringe Festival, one of the largest and most important multi-arts events in North America. "Bellini and the Sultan" takes place in 1479, after the first Ottoman-Venetian war, and is about the adventures of Renaissance painter Bellini in the Ottoman palace, who was sent to Istanbul to keep the peace by painting a portrait demanded by Mehmet the Conqueror. The focus of the play is the clash of Eastern and Western values in Istanbul, the capital of one of the greatest powers of the era.
        The only Turkish performer in the play, Temi Hason, portrays a concubine in the Harem. Hason, also a cellist, who completed her education at the New York Film Academy Musical Theater Conservatory, also appeared in the semifinals of the Turkish talent show "Yetenek Sizsiniz" in 2012.
        The idea of the play originated when Stevens first saw the famous painting of Mehmet the Conqueror by Bellini at the 2007 exhibition "Venice and the Islamic World, 828-1797" at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Noting that he was greatly affected by the painting, Stevens said, "It enabled me to understand the connection between the East and the West and inspired me to write this play."
        Stevens, who afterward visited Istanbul and took Turkish lessons, decided to put the play on stage when he met Richardson. Richardson said that they formed The TurkishAmerican Repertory Theater (TARTE) in 2010 for cultural exchange between Turkish and foreign actors and that TARTE participates every year in the Fringe NYC.
        Asked about the challenges of staging a play on cultural differences, Richardson said: "When we talk about the cultures of the East and the West, we see that clothing, traditions, values and religions are all different. Yet, when we consider the essence of the person, those differences become negligible. When you watch this play, you realize this. You discover the basic nature of humanity, away from everything."
        Richardson also said TARTE had a number of upcoming projects. "In September we will stage an extended version of 'Bellini and the Sultan.' We will participate in the Third Annual Turkish American One-Act Plays Festival with this play. Then we are planning a Keloglan [a fictional character in Turkish culture] project with original score and screenplay. We hope to stage this production according to Broadway standards."
        Read more at >> here <<

      * This year, the International Performance Association's festival is returning to Istanbul with more artists for 13 days of workshops and events.
        The festival, undertaken with the support of the Koza Visual Culture and Arts Association, aims to attract more young artists to Istanbul and spread the popularity of performance art in Turkey.
        The workshop teachers and the festival artists will include Agnes Verena Stenke and Jurgen Fritz, both of Germany. The festival, which will be held at a number of different venues, will run from Aug. 12 until Aug. 24.
        The festival team offered limited places for 40 participants. Last year, more than 150 young artists applied, and there are expectations that a similar number will apply again this year.
        Many experienced teachers, as well as performance artists, are at the festival to teach participants. The workshops started Aug. 11 and will continue until the end of the festival on Aug. 22.
        The IPA strives to provide a platform for such artists from all over the globe to exchange ideas and initiate progress in the world of performance art. Founded as IPAH e.V. in 2006, the organization formed a series of workshops, performance festivals and meetings that encourage the development of participants' artistic endeavors.
        Read more at >> here <<

      www.TurkRadio.us
      The Fire of Anatolia

      * Turkey's northwestern province of Canakkale once again hosted the annual International Troia Festival in its 50th year. The festival hosed renowned Turkish musicians and folk dancers from abroad until Aug 16, reports the Anatolia News Agency.
        The artists and teams that performed at the festival started paraded in front of the Canakkale Municipality. Among the participants were Canakkale Mayor Ulgur Gokhan, the Republican People's Party deputies Ali Saribas and Serdar Soydan and Party's provincial chairman Amza Karagoz, along with many citizens.
        The Homeros Science, Culture and Arts Award, which has been given since 2002 to those who contribute to world peace, was presented to the people of Canakkale this year.
        Mayor Gokhan presented the Homeros Award to a group of children representing the people of the city. Declaring "Peace is children," the children accepted the award and were cheered by the audience at the ceremony.
        The first event of the festival was a performance by Turkey's internationally acclaimed dance troupe Fire of Anatolia in Cumhuriyet Square. The performance was viewed by thousands of Canakkale locals.
        For the five-day festival, folk dance teams from countries including Croatia, Hungary and Moldova will come to the city. The festival will also host the German Duisburg Philharmonic Orchestra, which was founded in 1877. Other performers at the festival will include Grup Ezgi, Julide Ozcelik, Volkan Konak, Incesaz, Gripin, Yorem Saz Grubu and Erdal Akkaya.
        Read more at >> here <<

      www.TurkRadio.us

      * Turkey's first lighthouse-library is in the Sivrice Lighthouse in the northwestern province of Canakkale's Ayvacik township, reports the Anatolia News Agency. The library offers every known book in the world about lighthouses.
        Professor Yucel Sayman, a member of Istanbul Medipol University's Law Department, rented the Sivrice Lighthouse approximately five years ago from the General Directorate of Coastal Safety for 10 years after the directorate opened a tender as part of a privatization drive. Sayman, who has collected books, stamps and postcards about lighthouses from around the world, converted the lodging site into a library on lighthouses.
        Sayman said he did not have any initial plans to convert the lighthouse into a library.
        "They usually convert such places into taverns, clubs or restaurants, which harms the environment," Sayman said. "I applied to the auction to protect this place. When they asked me what I was going to do in this place, I replied: a library.
        "This turned out to be a place where every book in the world about lighthouses is collected. Now we have approximately 900 books. I find these online or by visiting bookstores abroad. Actually, it is not an easy task. You cannot find an organized library anywhere. The books are limited and hard to find.
        "It also requires much investment. My wife and I did all these things by challenging our own economic resources. I collected every country's stamps about lighthouses; only a couple of stamps are missing.
        "We even have postcards and collect various objects. Also we are publishing books; so far we have published three books, one of which is a children's book, under the title of Sivrice Lighthouse Publishing."
        Read more at >> here <<

      www.TurkRadio.us

      * A museum named for Hamdi Yazir has recently opened in Turkey's Mediterranean province of Antalya's Elamali township, reports the Anatolia News Agency. His personal items are on display at the museum.
        Hamdi Yazir is one of the significant names of Turkish-Islamic art.
        Within the scope of the project, titled "Sehr-i Elmali," jointly carried out by the Elmali Township Governorate, Elmali Municipality, Akdeniz University, District National Education Directorate and Elmali Culture Tourism Solidarity Association to promote and preserve historical and cultural values, a two-story building has been turned into the Elmalili Muhammed Hamdi Yazir City Museum.
        The museum is home to Yazir's 16 original manuscripts, provided by his family, his books, a wall clock, mirror, pens that he used while translating the Quran, inkwell, writer, ruler, prayer beads, chess and copies of some documents.
        Hamdi Yazir, the grandson of Yazir, said his grandfather had been born in Elmali and was sent to his uncle in Istanbul for education as a child.
        He said his grandfather was only known for Quran translation but he had also been a calligrapher, lawyer, deputy and minister.
        Read more at >> here <<

      SPORTS

      SOCCER

      * Premiere Soccer League

      * Results for week: 1

      Antalya Sp 	-	Erciyes Sp	0 - 0
      Karabuk Sp	-	Kasimpa$a	2 - 0
      Rize Sp 	-	G. Birligi	1 - 0
      Konya Sp	-	Fenerbahce	3 - 2
      Akhisar Sp	-	Elazig Sp	3 - 1
      Eski$ehir Sp	-	Bursa Sp	2 - 0
      Be$iKta$ 	-	Trabzon Sp	2 - 0
      Kayseri Sp	-	Sivas Sp	1 - 0
      G. Saray	-	G. Antep Sp	2 - 1

      * We have been bringing to you the recent revelations of banned substance use among Turkish athletes in the past two weeks. Latest news indicates that wrestlers in the traditional oil wrestling were at it as well.
        According to associated press, at least 16 oil wrestlers have tested positive for banned performance enhancing substances, Turkish media reports said Monday.
        Oil wrestling champion Ali Gurbuz is among the wrestlers facing a two-year suspension from the traditional Turkish sport in which wrestlers are greased up with olive oil, according to Radikal newspaper.

      ANNOUNCEMENTS

      [Saat 18:30 and 19:30 'da iki kez okuyun]

      *** The 16th Annual Turkish Art and Culture Festival in Monterey

      Aug 24-25, Sat & Sun, 11 AM - 7 PM

      Free admission

      Monterey Depot Lot

      290 Figueroa St.

      Del Monte Ave & Figueroa St.
      Next to Municipality Wharf 2

      http://www.turkfesca.org, http://www.monterey.com

      The two-day festival will include:

      • Live Turkish music and folk dance performances
      • Turkish art, crafts exhibits and vendor booths
      • Food (Doner kebap, Adana kofte, and more)
      • Drinks (Turkish coffee/tea, soft drinks, Turkish Raki, beer, wine)
      • Many activities for children

      *** Businesses offering discounts to our listeners:

      New Kapadokia Restaurant, Burlingame, 15% off. Phone 650.368.5500
      Five Star Falafel & Kebab, Santa Clara, 10% off. Phone 408.241.1900
      Aspendos Restaurant, San Mateo, 10%  off.  Phone 650.344.3595

      *** On line Turkish classes:

      TurkishCampus.com

      *** Turkish American Association of California

      is a non-profit
      charitable organization established to promote better
      understanding between Americans and Turks.

      If you have any questions about Turks and Turkey,
      e-mail them at taac@...

      *** For more music from Turkey and the Middle East tune to

      International Cultural Program with host George Geevargis.

      San Francisco World TV Channel 29
      Sundays at 9-10 A.M.

      *** Yore dance invites you to:

      Free Turkish Folkdance Classes.

      Please contact with Yore Folk Ensemble for the details.

      TELL YOUR FRIENDS who might be interested joining our group.

      Yore Folk Ensemble

      *** Azerbaijan Cultural Society of Northern California

      The local Azeri community organizes many events throughout the year. Follow their activities through their web pages, or subscribed to their e-mail list:

      secretary@...

      http://acsnc.org/

      Location:
      Azerbaijan Cultural Society of Northern California
      16400 Lark Ave., Suite 260
      Los Gatos, CA 95032

      {20130817trh.txt}