x0x Turkish Chicken and Okra Casserole

  • T.R.H.
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2013
      x0x Turkish Chicken and Okra Casserole

      Turkish Chicken and Okra Casserole

      By MARTHA ROSE SHULMAN

      http://www.TurkRadio.us

      Andrew Scrivani for The New York Times

      In Turkey, okra is often stewed with lamb or chicken. I liked this dish so much that I made it twice in one week, the second time for a big dinner party. It's adapted from Ghillie Basan’s recipe in "Classic Turkish Cooking"...

      * 1 pound okra
      * Salt
      * 1/2 cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
      * 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
      * 1 small chicken, cut up into 8 pieces, skinned if desired
      * 1 large or 2 smaller onions, cut in half lengthwise then thinly sliced across the grain
      * 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
      * 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper, mild chili powder or smoked paprika
      * 4 garlic cloves, puréed with a pinch of salt
      * 1 pound tomatoes, seeded and grated; or peeled, seeded and chopper
      * 1/2 teaspoon sugar
      * 1 tablespoon tomato paste diluted in 2/3 cup water
      * Juice of 1 lemon
      * Freshly ground pepper
      * 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
      * Plain thick yogurt for serving (optional)

      Read the rest at http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/health/nutrition/14recipehealth.html