The Balkan Night, Sunday 2 May 1999, Stanford Univ., CA USA

  • trh
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 1999
      Dear friends,

      I hope you have already heard about our Balkan music and dance night.
      This morning, we received a pleasantly surprising endorsement from
      Stanford's Dance Division. While they do not announce dance events other
      than their official or semiofficial dance classes or activities, they
      decided to make an exception, and announced the Balkan Night through their
      official list. This means that we will have a larger and more interested
      audience than expected.

      Among others, we will teach and do dances of Turkey, including Delilo,
      Oguzlu, Cepikli, Coskun Coruh, Uzundere, etc. I believe your presence will
      add to our efforts to promote the Balkan and neighboring cultures at
      Stanford and this area. We would also benefit from your feedback for our
      similar future activities.

      I'm sending similar messages to other Balkan student organizations and/or
      groups. Please feel free to let your local communities know about this
      activity.

      Thank you very much,

      Eser Ayanoglu,
      APRINT

      PS: Food such as borek, kofte, pilav, coban salatasi, etc, will also be
      served during this event.

      Art for Peace and Human Rights Int'l (APRINT), and United Nations
      Association present:

      Peace and Friendship in the Balkans

      A night of Balkan music and dance with the renown:

      VOLUTA VOX
      Balkan Music Ensemble

      Prior to the live music
      common Balkan dance steps for beginners by:

      Eser Ayanoglu
      APRINT Director

      Sunday, May 2, 1999
      Stanford University, Bechtel Int'l Center Assembly Room
      Dance lesson: 7 PM, Live music: 8 PM
      followed by recreational/request dancing

      Thanks to support from Achilles Foundation, Bechtel Int'l Center, and
      Graduate Student Council this event is free for all students. A nominal
      donation will be requested for adults. United Nations Association will
      bring international costumes and other items from its Palo Alto Gift Store
      for exhibition and sale.

      For more information on APRINT, please visit: http://aprint.cjb.net