x0x Carefree cruising in a sailboat off Turkey

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2012
      x0x Carefree cruising in a sailboat off Turkey

      Carefree cruising in a sailboat off Turkey

      By Elizabeth Warkentin, Fri Aug 24 2012

      http://www.TurkRadio.us

      Naviga I

      BODRUM, TURKEY The Naviga 1 sliced through the Popsicle blue water.

      Down the southwest coast of Turkey we sped, the sailboat riding the waves of the Mediterranean Sea, the wind rushing at our sun-kissed faces.

      Weeeeeeee! Whoa! Woooooooeeeeee!

      We girls up on the forward deck of the gulet (pronounced gou-lette), a traditional Turkish wooden ketch, whooped with pure joy.

      The moving carpet of water was heaving below us, the wind whipping the sails in a thrilling rhythm ff ff ff ff t, ff ff ff ff t, ff ff ff ff t, thwack!

      And down we careened again, the sea spraying us as though we rode a liquid roller-coaster.

      We had boarded the Naviga 1 on a sweltering afternoon in July in Ortakent, a seaside town on Turkeys Bodrum peninsula. Ahead of us was a one-week cruise aboard the gleaming teak and mahogany beauty. Thirteen strangers we were, a motley group of varying ages from the Netherlands, Germany, Canada and England. Strangers perhaps, but it wasnt long before we were bonding conversing over meals, playing rummy with the crew after dinner, and sipping wine or raki, the local drink, late into the night.

      The Naviga I is one of four boats owned by Sailing Cruises in Comfort, which offers friendly, impeccable service and serves succulent Mediterranean cuisine.

      Read the rest at http://www.therecord.com/living/travel/article/787012--travel-carefree-cruising-in-a-sailboat-off-turkey