x0x Finding a bargain in Istanbul, Turkey

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2012
      Finding a bargain in Istanbul, Turkey

      x0x Finding a bargain in Istanbul, Turkey

      The airfare and hotels were inexpensive. But the city's sights, sounds, tastes and history were priceless.
      http://www.TurkRadio.us

      Boats pass beneath Istanbul's Galata Bridge, which crosses the Golden Horn to connect the city's older and newer sections. (Mary Forgione / For The Times / February 21, 2012)

      Istanbul, Turkey — For months I had been pining for a trip to Europe, willing to go anywhere a cheap flight would take me. But the elusive bargain I sought didn't materialize until February, and it wasn't completely Europe.

      The airfare of my dreams was a Valentine's Day special open to anyone: $599 round-trip from L.A. to continent-straddling Istanbul, including tax and fees. It required a companion fare (which meant I had to find someone to go with) and traveling in February. (This was Turkish airlines, and although this fare is not available now—some fares this month are as low as $758 on American, so keep an eye out for specials.)

      With little time to plan, I found a willing accomplice (my friend Sonia), and packed a carry-on bag for the week. I scanned a few guidebooks during the 13-hour flight that said Istanbul wasn't the super bargain it once was. But traveling off-season in a country outside the euro zone worked in my favor. After just one day, I found the Turkish city easy to get to know — and easy to explore without spending a fortune.