x0x How Do You Dress a Turkish Wrestler? In Olive Oil and Leather Britches

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2011
      x0x How Do You Dress a Turkish Wrestler? In Olive Oil and Leather Britches

      Old Sport's New Rules Are Too Slick to Some; 'You Have to Know How to Grab
      the Kispet'

      By MARC CHAMPION

      The Wall Street Journal

      EDIRNE, Turkey.Turkish oil wrestling is all about the leather britches.

      For three days this weekend, some 1,500 men.from 11-year-old striplings to
      improbably muscled Goliaths.donned long, thick, black pants made of
      water-buffalo and cowhide. Then, they doused themselves in olive oil from
      head to toe and strode into a grassy gladiatorial arena.

      It's the annual Kirkpinar oil-wrestling tournament, which has been staged
      here for 650 years. To the uninitiated, it seems little more than an open
      field of oily mayhem. Not so to the appreciative crowd, which roars with
      excitement at sudden throws or clever holds."belly sees the sky" being a
      particular winner.as executed by their oil-wrestling favorites.

      "Oh my, I feel like I'll die of my excitement.the sweat-stained grass
      smells of oil," says the Kirkpinar anthem, sung in the procession to open
      the tournament. In the past, bouts between two men could last for hours
      and continue the next day.

      [Read the rest at:
      http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303812104576438232906791322.html%3Fmod%3Dgooglenews_wsj&ct=ga&cad=CAEQAhgAIAAoATAAOABA-YLq8ARIAVAAWABiAmVu&cd=Eu5hYhzWga4&usg=AFQjCNEAE373wlc2YOHnbtAS_21JlE87Tg
      ]