x0x Travel: From Byzantium to Constantinople to Istanbul

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2011
      x0x Travel: From Byzantium to Constantinople to Istanbul

      By Denny Stein

      Travel Editor

      Tricity Voice

      Photos By Dr. Park

      They don't make magic carpets anymore, and if they did you'd probably have
      to pay a fee for each suitcase and extra legroom. It's a long flight from
      San Francisco to Istanbul, but it worth every minute of stale air and leg
      cramps. We left SFO on Monday afternoon, changed planes in Munich, and
      landed at Istanbul Airport on Tuesday night; our driver from the Sultanhan
      Hotel met us outside baggage pick-up. We had arrived on time and with all
      our bags, quite proud of ourselves and grateful to our travel agent, Anji
      Grainger of Panorama Travel.

      The Sultanhan Hotel sits at the corner of Pierre Loti Square, in the Old
      Town section of Istanbul, within walking distance to the main drag. Shown
      to our room, we thought it was a bit small and asked if there was a larger
      room available. "I will ask my friend," said the bellman, "please wait
      here." Off he went and came back with a new room key. "Let us see if you
      like this room better, then if you do, I will bring your bags." Room 206
      at the Sultanhan was perfect: spacious, airy, with French doors and a
      balcony overlooking a new plaza. We were in bed and asleep by midnight,
      Turkish time. The leafy trees just outside our balcony danced with the sun
      in the morning and guaranteed our privacy.

      [ Read the rest of the article at:

      http://www.tricityvoice.com/articlefiledisplay.php?issue=2011-06-24&file=story4.txt ]