Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

x0x Ani: the forgotten city

Expand Messages
  • trh@xxxxxx.xxx
    x0x Ani: the forgotten city Nelleke M. v.d. Schoor-Basar Ankara - Turkish Daily News Since coming to Turkey many, many years ago, I have had the opportunity to
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 1999
      x0x Ani: the forgotten city

      Nelleke M. v.d. Schoor-Basar

      Ankara - Turkish Daily News

      Since coming to Turkey many, many years ago, I have had the
      opportunity to visit not only the usual touristic places but also
      historic sites that are off the beaten path. The most recent such
      excursion I made was to the ruins of Ani, an ancient city which was
      established on the Silk Road.

      All one can see today of what was once a great city are the remains of
      churches, mosques and caravansaries, although one is still able to see
      part of the Silk Road and the walls that protected the inhabitants of
      Ani from the Mongols, the Georgians and the Turkish armies.

      It took an earthquake, however, to bring the city to its knees.
      Architectural remains include the remnants of the city's double wall;
      an 11th century Byzantine cathedral; churches from the 11th, 12th and
      13th centuries; and the Menucehr Mosque.

      The remains of Ani are located in an area situated approximately 48
      kilometers from Kars. While Europe was lost in the Dark Ages, Ani's
      rulers knew that its fortune depended on their control of the
      shortest, safest trade route to the East; its rulers understood the
      relationship between political stability and economic prosperity.

      The city was constructed on a triangular bluff that was about two
      kilometers long and one kilometer wide and was defined on two sides by
      deep gorges. Established in 350 to 300 B.C. along the Arpacay River
      near the Turkish-Russian border and situated close to the currently
      occupied village of Ocakli, it was a city of 100,000 inhabitants, and
      at that time its only other rivals in terms of culture and elegance
      were Constantinople, Cairo and Baghdad.

      The city was founded by Karampart, who descended from the Kemserekanli
      lineage of the Arsakli tribe. Ani, located on the ancient caravan road
      and protected by its own castle, was one of the most significant trade
      centers of the time. The most radiant period of the city was during
      the late 10th and 11th centuries, when the Armenian Bagratids used it
      as their capital. But it also served as the capital of the regional
      Christian community and was the home of many churches and civilian
      buildings. Ani was fabled as the city of 1,001 churches, a story that
      lingers in spite of the earthquakes, fires and mass exodus of its
      residents during the 14th century.

      Visitors can still see some of the old structures, although many are
      in ruins and beyond repair, having been left to the elements and the
      ravages of time.

      Owing to its geopolitical location, Ani was a very popular city with
      invading armies and was therefore subjected to invasion and
      destruction by many other civilizations, sharing a similar fate to
      that of its neighbor, Kars. In 1064, Ani was conquered by Selcuk
      Sultan Alparslan, after which it was renovated and given to the
      Sedatogulari tribe, a people of Selcuk lineage. Under the rule of the
      Sedatogulari, there was a flurry of construction and renovation
      activities in the city. Many mosques, baths, palaces, residential
      buildings and marketplaces, all unique examples of Selcuk
      architecture, were built during this period, contributing to the
      blossoming of Ani into one of the most beautiful cities in the East
      and an important center of commerce and culture.

      Due to fate's capricious influence on nature, an earthquake shook the
      entire area in the 14th century, and much of the city was destroyed.
      In the wake of this catastrophe, the route followed by the trade
      caravans was diverted, and the city never again returned to its former

      Excavation and inventory activities have been ongoing in the ruins of
      Ani since 1890. During the course of these projects, many of the
      structures that were almost completely destroyed have been saved, and
      numerous artifacts have been unearthed. Although Ani is in great need
      of restoration, it is one of Turkey's greatest tourism treasures and
      is regularly frequented by touristic visitors, particularly during the
      summer season.

      Organized tours are being arranged for the convenience of those
      wishing to see Ani, and buses from Kars make two return trips each day
      carrying visitors to and from Ani. Tickets for visiting the ruins can
      be obtained from the Kars Museum. Since no tickets are available in
      Ani itself, many visitors who drive to the area in their own vehicles
      have to go back to Kars to buy the tickets, which is a great source of
      discouragement. Other discouraging factors are a lack of toilet
      facilities, guards and tourist guides, indicators of the current
      status of the tourism industry in Turkey.

      Walls and gates

      The outer walls of the city were built by Sembat II between 987 and
      997. In later years, in an effort to strengthen the walls around the
      flat areas, the Seddats built a second row of walls for reinforcement,
      decorating them with Selcuk motifs.

      There are seven entry gates to the city, with the Acemoglu and Migmig
      river gates opening to the east, toward the Arpacay River. The middle
      one of the three gates that open toward the north is the most
      frequently used gate and is called Ortakapi. The one on the right is
      called Cifte Beden, and the one on the left is called Hidrellez. The
      gate opening to the east is called Suyolu Kapisi (The Waterway Gate).

      At the top right corner of the Ortakapi is the carving of a lion,
      which is the symbol of the Seddats. Beside the lion figure is an
      inscription executed at the command of Sultan Menucehr.

      Kecel Church (Saint Patrick's Church)

      The church was constructed from 1034-1036 by the grandson of Gregor
      and the son of Abugremrizents Daklavi and was renovated by a priest
      known as Tridat in 1173. In 1291, a bell tower was annexed to the
      building, and in 1342 the dome was repaired. At the present time,
      roughly half of the church stands destroyed as a result of being hit
      by lightning.

      Sirli Church (Saint Gregor's Church)

      This church was constructed by Tigron at the request of the minorities
      who were under the protection of the Seddanli kingdom. The church has
      been almost totally destroyed, but the engravings on the interior of
      its tomb are quite remarkable.

      Abughamrent Gregor Church

      This edifice was constructed by Gagik II, the Ani king, in the year
      998 on behalf of Gregor.

      The Church with Doves (The Young Girls' Church)

      This church, which is assumed to have been built in either the 12th or
      13th centuries, is located outside the walls of the city and is
      situated on top of the rocks by the Arpacay River. It has a circular
      foundation; a cylindrical, grooved tower and is equipped with a
      pointed roof. A stepping wall enclosing the main building, which is
      surrounded by the ruins of small annexes that could have been service
      facilities, suggests that this building was constructed to be used as
      a monastery.

      Kemserakanli Church

      Of this structure built in 922 only a single wall remains, decorated
      with crude images of people.

      Virgin Mary Cathedral (Fethiye Mosque)

      Construction of this cathedral was begun in central Ani in 1010 during
      the tenure of Sembat II and was completed by Gagik I. This magnificent
      building was built in basilica style, with a cylindrical body and a
      conical roof. It was used as a mosque following the conquest of Ani in
      1064 by Alparslan. The building sustained extensive damage during an
      earthquake in 1319 and was restored by the architect Tridat. This
      church is one of the best preserved structures that exists in Ani.

      The Senate Building

      This edifice with its round pillars was constructed in 1001 during the
      tenure of Agik I but is currently in great need of repair.

      The Selcuk Palace

      This three-storey structure, which is assumed to have been built in
      the 11th century, represents one of the unique examples of
      Turkish-Islamic monuments. The front part of the building is decorated
      with mosaics, and with its pointed archway it bears the same
      characteristics as the Hidrellez Gate. The building has a spiral
      staircase and is decorated with geometric figures. It is a large
      complex that includes many rooms, a gallery, storage areas and a

      The Caravan Palace (The Arak'eltos Church)

      This building was built as a patriarchate in 1031. Its architectural
      design resembles a four-leaf clover with a cylindrical tower in the
      middle and a pointed roof. Following the conquest of Ani in 1064, the
      edifice was transformed into a caravan palace by the Selcuks, who
      built an annex to the structure with two sections having a crossing
      archway. The ceiling of the building is embellished with colored
      stones. A building with a conical roof was added to the central part
      of the complex, but this structure is also in a state of disrepair,
      with many of its sections having been totally destroyed.

      Menucehr Mosque

      This mosque was constructed by Ebu-Suca Menucehr of the Seddatogullari
      lineage in 1072 and attracts significant attention for being the first
      mosque that the Selcuks built in Anatolia. With its ceilings decorated
      with colored stone mosaics arranged in geometric figures, it is one of
      the great examples of Selcuk architecture that can be found in
      Anatolia. Its minaret has 99 steps; however, the conical hat no longer
      exists. The word "Allah," spelled out with colored stones under the
      balcony, is still legible. The mosque's area for worship was destroyed
      by the Russians, and a stone wall was erected between the pillars.

      Ebul Muammeral Mosque and Boz (gray) Minaret

      This mosque, located in the center of Ani, was constructed by the last
      Seddanli sultan, Sahan Sah. The collapsed ruins of its minaret can
      still be seen beside the building proper.

      The Selcuk Bath

      This building, which is the larger one of the two baths that can be
      found in Ani, is located directly behind the cathedral. The building
      was built in the 12th century and was discovered during a partial
      excavation conducted in 1965. Currently, only the washing area is

      Although Ani is off the beaten path, it is a must-see for those who
      are interested in the history of Anatolia. In addition to being the
      site of Anatolia's first mosque, Tourism Minister Ahmet Tan has said
      that Turkey's year 2000 celebration will begin in this historic

      Copyright 1999, Turkish Daily News. This article is redistributed with
      permission for personal use of TRKNWS-L readers. No part of this article
      may be reproduced, further distributed or archived without the prior
      permission of the publisher. Contact: Turkish Daily News Online on the
      Internet World Wide Web. www.turkishdailynews.com

      For information on other matters please contact hk11@...
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.