x0x Postcard from Laura: Istanbul trip worth wait

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11 11:17 AM
      The full article is at: http://turkradio.us/k/laura.html

      x0x Postcard from Laura: Istanbul trip worth wait

      By Laura C. Johnson

      Special to the Register Star

      Ever so slowly, I pulled back the curtain covering my cabin porthole to
      peer out into the harbor.

      Since my undergraduate days at NIU in the mid-1980s, I had dreamed of
      arriving here. A thick fog and a steady, fine mist impeded my view, and I
      would need to go out on deck. Still in my pajamas, I dressed for the days
      tour without rushing since it was only about 5 a.m.

      I figured another few minutes after years of anticipation would not make a
      difference.

      In fact, I was savoring the thought of seeing this long-awaited city. My
      thoughts were focused on what the city must have been like centuries ago
      and not on its present look.

      I was almost scared, thinking perhaps it was best to leave it on a list of
      unvisited sites and simply go on imagining what it would be like. But
      instead, I flittered off to the top deck of the MV Discovery for the
      panoramic view.

      As I squinted into the distance, it was possible to see the outline of
      structures viewed only until this point in art history books. The port was
      hectic and full of all types of boats: old tugs, luxury cruise ships,
      ferries and what seemed like hundreds of others. We were told that this
      was just an average day.

      I leaned for a moment against the ships wooden railing and let my mind
      wander to the 1st century A.D. when this city was known as Byzantium and
      famed for its trade, exotic markets and spices. Then, fast-forwarding
      three centuries later, the great Emperor Constantine claimed this
      strategic location on the Bosporus as literally his city naming it
      Constantinople (city of Constantine).

      The full article is at: http://turkradio.us/k/laura.html