x0x Turkish News for the week ending 30 October 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2010
      Turkish News for the week ending 30 October 2010

      {20101030trh.txt}

      x0x Turkish News for the week ending 30 October 2010
      [This is a transcript of the news broadcast on 30 October 2010]

      Courtesy of Turkish Radio Hour, producer of the
      TURKISH CULTURAL PROGRAM, every Saturday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
      on KUSF FM 90.3, San Francisco

      You can also listen live from a link on the web site: http://turkradio.us/

      Also tune to KKUP FM 91.5, Cupertino to hear the
      ORIENT EXPRESS every Tuesday at 10 P.M.

      Audio archives of our radio broadcasts are at: http://www.TurkRadio.us/ar/

      Also available as podcasts for your MP3 players at: http://turkradio.podomatic.com/

      Ahmet Toprak is the editor-in-chief. Your broadcast host is Fuad Tokad.

      If you wish to subscribe to the Internet edition of this news, send a blank email to:
      TurkC-L-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      [Uzun Internet adreslerini radyoda okumayin, $u duyuruyu yapin "Look at the news section of our website for more details. www.Turkradio.us".]

      NEWS

      Edited by Fuad Tokad

      * The 87th anniversary of the Republic Day is being celebrated across the nation as well as in foreign representations and Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus on Friday.
        Anatolia News Agency reported that the first ceremony was held in Anitkabir, Turkish independence war hero and first president Mustafa Kemal Ataturk's Mausoleum. Senior state officials led by Turkish President Abdullah Gul visited Anitkabir early in the morning. President Gul laid a wreath on the Mausoleum. Gul also signed special register of Anitkabir.
        State officials and military personnel as well as students paid respects before Ataturk's mausoleum.
        Following the ceremony in Anitkabir, President Gul proceeded to Turkish Parliament and received state protocol and foreign mission chiefs.
        On October 29, 1923, the Turkish Grand National Assembly officially made the declaration that Turkey is a Republic and unanimously voted Mustafa Kemal Ataturk as its first President. As President, Ataturk quickly began to make sweeping political, economic, and social reforms.

      * The Turkish daily Cumhuriyet reported that the 87th Anniversary of the Turkish Republic, Great Leader Mustafa Kemal Ataturk's master piece, is being celebrated with a series of ceremonies, while the tension between politicians could be easily understood from their faces. Unlike previous years, political party leaders did not shake hands and there was hardly any dialog between officials apart from the short conversation between Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and General Staff Chief Isik Kosaner.
        Commanders did not attend President Abdullah Gul's reception at the Presidential Palace in which all guests participated with their spouses. Head of Turkey's General Staff held another reception at the Central Officers' Club in Ankara during the very same hours. Prime Minister Erdogan, who attended the reception at Cankaya Presidential Palace without his wife, said "Turkish Armed Forces should have come to the gathering".
        Meanwhile, President Gul said "Turkey's reality is here tonight", reported the daily Cumhuriyet.

      * Turkish army chiefs boycotted an official ceremony at the presidential palace because the president's wife wore an Islamic headscarf, the press reported Saturday.
        The army's top brass were conspicuous by their absence late Friday at a banquet thrown by President Abdullah Gul to commemorate the creation of the modern, secular Turkey in 1923.
        The military organized a separate reception at the same time to give the generals an excuse not to accept the president's invitation, the reports said.
        The secularist main opposition Republican People's Party also declined Gul's invitation.
        Turkey's First Lady has worn the hijab, which covers the head and neck, since adolescence.
        The boycott was criticized by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, whose wife also wears the headscarf.
        The army's generals, who see themselves as custodians of the Turkish republic, regard the headscarf as a threat to the state's secular traditions and are against any relaxation of the ban on wearing them in schools and government buildings.
        Hayrunnisa Gul and Emine Erdogan, as well as a number of other wives of leaders of the ruling Justice and Development Party, all wear headscarves tied tightly over bonnets which completely conceal their neck and hair.
        In the past, generals have attended the banquet to celebrate the founding of the Turkish republic but this year the president extended the invitation to wives, meaning that women wearing the veil would be present.
        President Gul, a former Justice and Development Party cadre, has been pressing for a lifting of the ban on veils since he took office.
        The ban on headscarves on university campuses was recently eased by the Higher Education Board, which used to be a bastion of secularism but is now headed by an Erdogan supporter.

      * The Turkish daily Milliyet reported that Turkey ranked 80th in the National Prosperity Index prepared by the Britain's Legatum Institute which is the world's only global assessment of wealth and wellbeing.
        The Index analyzes 110 nations covering more than 90 percent of the world's population. Turkey ranked 108th in the social capital while it ranked 83rd in individual and national security and 95th in individual freedoms.

      * Torrential rains paralyzed daily life and traffic in the cities of Istanbul, Kocaeli, Ankara, Bursa and Kayseri. Hundreds of dwellings and business places were inundated by flood waters. In the northwestern province of Kocaeli, five-year-old twin sisters fell into a stream when a wooden bridge collapsed.
        Their mother jumped instantly into the stream, but she could save only one of them. One of the twins was carried away by flood waters. Her body could not be found yet, reported The Turkish daily Vatan.

      * The Turkish daily Vatan also reported today that the daylight saving practice will end at 4:00 a.m. Sunday on October 31 as the clocks will be set back by one hour. The summer-time which was adopted together with the European countries, started at 3:00 a.m. on March 28, 2010.

      * In his televised address to nation, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that Turkish defense industry could meet only 25 percent of needs of Turkish Armed Forces in 2002. However, he said, it broke through a level at 46 percent in 2009, reported the Anatolia News Agency.
        "Our goal is to make it 50 percent by the end of this year," Erdogan said. In 2002, sales of national defense industry was $1 billion. It rose to $2.5 billion in 2009.
        "I hope we will see $3 billion this year. Also, exports of our defense industry companies climbed to $832 million from $240 million. Our target for 2011 is $1 billion," he said.
        Erdogan added that Turkey had designed its first national infantry rifle. "We will start serial production of that rifle in 2011. Turkish troops will carry weapons produced by our own means. We have also started production of our own tanks with all integrated systems. Prototypes of this tank, which we named "Altay", are being built now.
        Moreover, prototype production of "Anka", our unmanned aerial vehicle, has started. Test flights of "Atak", our first national helicopter, will be made this year as well. Turkish engineers are also working on a project to build our first intelligence satellite "Gokturk". We plan to launch it in 2012," Erdogan said.
        "This great progress of our defense industry is of vital importance for the future of our country," he said.

      * Serbian President Boris Tadic said that Turkey had a big influence on Western Balkan countries in traditional aspect. Thus, the European Union should take this reality into consideration while considering Turkey's joining the Union, added Tadic who received executives from the Association of the Balkan News Agencies-Southeast Europe member news agencies, including the Anatolia News Agency too, on Friday.
        Replying questions of Anatolia News Agency regarding Turkey's European Union membership, Tadic said that Turkey's European Union membership was very complicated and also one of the most important strategic issues for the European Union.
        Noting that new political conditions were being shaped in parallel with the economic developments, Tadic said that Turkish economy significantly boosted in recent years which created a different atmosphere in its region.
        Tadic said that Serbia would not display any negative attitude towards Turkey's European Union membership.

      * Turkish Interior Minister Besir Atalay said, "the People's Republic of China is aware of Turkey's growing economy, international power and image as a raising country. And Turkey is aware of China's development."
        Mr. Atalay, who is currently in China on an official visit, told the Anatolia News Agency that there had been an intense cooperation between Turkish and Chinese police departments. "Any country cannot combat against cross-border crimes on its own. China, like Turkey, takes place in an important geography. Therefore, Turkey-China cooperation especially in fight against illicit drug trafficking is of great importance," he said.
        Atalay and the accompanying delegation will proceed to Shanghai on Sunday.

      * Turkey's state railways company plans to start test-run on the 306-km high-speed railway between the Turkish capital Ankara and the central province of Konya in December, officials said on Friday.
        Last part of the rail will be laid next week at a ceremony which will be attended by Turkish officials including Transportation Minister Binali Yildirim.
        Turkish state-run rail operator TCDD plans to start full operation of the railway in March 2011. The Ankara-Konya railway project commenced in July 2009. Superstructure works of the project are expected to be completed very soon, officials said.
        TCDD launched its first high-speed train services in March 2009 to connect Ankara and Eskisehir on a 245-kilometer electrified and signaled double line that reduced travel time to one and a half hours from nearly three hours. Ankara-Eskisehir line is part of the Ankara-Istanbul high-speed rail project which is still underway.
        The 805-million lira rail project between Ankara and Konya will reduce 10 hours travel time to 75 minutes. Current travel time takes so long as there is no direct line between two cities.

      * Anatolia News Agency reported that U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton released a statement on Thursday and congratulated Turkey on the 87th anniversary of the foundation of the Republic of Turkey. "On behalf of President Obama and the people of the United States, I congratulate the people of Turkey on the anniversary of your founding this October 29," Clinton said.
        "In the 87 years since Mustafa Kemal Ataturk set out a new vision for the Turkish people, Turkey has risen to become a leading economic power and an important presence on the world stage. The opportunities for Turkey to lead in the 21st century are even greater.
        The relationship between Turkey and the United States is broader and more dynamic today than ever before. Both President Obama and I made visiting Turkey a priority last year because we recognize the importance of a strong partnership between our nations – a partnership based on mutual respect, mutual interests, and mutual responsibility. The Framework for Strategic Economic and Commercial Cooperation to boost trade and investment is just one example of how we are strengthening ties between our counties. As NATO allies, we also stand shoulder to shoulder to help create a safer and more secure environment for future generations, in Afghanistan and around the world.
        I wish the people of Turkey a safe and happy holiday as you celebrate this special anniversary and all you have accomplished. We look forward to continuing to work closely with Turkey toward our shared goals and aspirations," Clinton said.

      * The Turkish daily Radikal reported that Kurdistan Workers Party's no.1 figure on Mount Qandil, Murat Karayilan, said the terrorist organization had no contacts with the Turkish government. However, he said, "we held talks with United States in 2004."
        Here are some important parts of Karayilan's interview with Radikal. "All talks are indirect. Governments keeps itself far away. We do not have any negotiations yet."
        "United States and European Union can resolve the issue if they want. They are using it as a card against Turkey."
        "The picture showing Kurdistan Workers Party members together with U.S. officials was photoshopped. But we had contacts."
        "Israel is putting out feelers on us. This is Middle East. People are bought and sold here. Kurdistan Workers Party does not give credence to such things."

      * In related news the Turkish daily Vatan claimed that on Tuesday, Turkish officials restarted talks with Abdullah Ocalan, head of the Kurdistan Workers Party who is serving a lifetime sentence in Imrali island.
        Ocalan had earlier announced that he would not be involved as of October 31 unless there are steps taken for solution of Kurdish problem.
        According to claims, officials asked Ocalan to stay involved and Kurdistan Workers Party to extend its ceasefire for another year. Kurdistan Workers Party is said to extend the ceasefire for a month starting October 31 due to the upcoming feast of sacrifice in November.
        Kurdistan Workers Party is on lists of terrorist organizations around the world including  the US, European Union and Turkey.

      * The Turkish daily Cumhuriyet reported on Tuesday that twenty-six students at the Yildiz Technical University have been suspended pending an investigation into a protest last week against the use of headscarf in universities and violent incidents that followed.
        The suspended student reacted to the decision, saying, "we were the ones that came under an attack and we are the ones who are suspended. This is their understanding of freedom."

      ARTS AND CULTURE

      * According to the Hurriyet Daily News, TAV Gallery at Istanbul Ataturk Airport's International Terminal is hosting a display of butterflies for the first time ever in Turkey.
        The "Return of the Cocoon" exhibition has been organized by lepidopterist Dr. Oktay Onaran to draw attention to the possibility of extinction for different types of butterflies.
        Mr. Onaran hopes to support efforts to bring butterflies back to nature once more.

      Butterflies

      * The "Anatolian Enlightenment of Art," a series of exhibitions sponsored by the Istanbul 2010 European Capital of Culture Agency's Visual Arts Directorate, is taking place in Istanbul. The exhibitions display artifacts of Anatolian culture collected from all over Turkey.
        The latest exhibition in the series, showing works from seven university groups, will open at Gallery I$Ik, I$Ik University, on Nov. 3 to show work from artists either teaching or studying at fine arts departments in 15 universities throughout Anatolia.
        The exhibition series will close with a finale more than 800 pieces of artworks by the lecturers and students.
        More at: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * Photographer Ismail Akta$, who lives in Turkey's northwestern city of Canakkale's Gelibolu township, reveals the history of the historical and natural beauty of Gelibolu in thousands of photos that he has gathered over 70 years, shining a light on the lives of many people from grandfathers to grandchildren.
        Speaking to the Anatolia news agency, Mr. Akta$ said he started taking photos in 1960 as an apprentice to his father in his spare time while attending school.
        Speaking about his archive Mr. Aktas said: "Among these photos, there are old sailing boats, sails, the customs house, port and many other things that make up Gelibolu's cultural heritage. These things do not exist today, but we keep them alive in photos. I have processed these photos over many years and made necessary arrangements for them. Now many places in Gelibolu are decorated with these photos. I plan to prepare a catalog in the future."
        More at: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * Istanbul's Goethe Institute has announced that this year's Tarabya Translation Prize, annually awarded to the best translations between Turkish and German, will go to a multicultural project promoting dialog and understanding.
        The famed prize has been awarded to Ingrid Iren and Ahmet Cemal for their work in fostering cultural exchange between Turkey and Germany and highlighting the role played by literary translators as cultural bridge-builders.
        Michael Hess and Cemal Ener will also receive recognition for their work in translation at a ceremony scheduled to take place at the historical summer residence of the German Ambassador in Istanbul's Tarabya district on Nov. 3.

      * Daily Hurriyet: 7EDi, the last of seven demonstrations prepared for Istanbul as part of the "7 Regions to 7 Hills" project developed by the Istanbul 2010 European Capital of Culture Agency Theater and the Performing Arts Directorate with the Shaman Dance Theater, will open for audiences next week.
        The show, which was inspired by spaces and themes of Istanbul such as the Bosporus, the Grand Bazaar, seagulls, the Maiden's Tower, TopkapI Palace, Selimiye and Galata and represents scenes from different periods of the city, will be on stage on Nov. 3 to 6 at the Harbiye Muhsin Ertugrul Stage.
        The Shaman Dance Group and Semes Karmiel Dance Team will perform the show together. In the show, as a theme depicting the forced migration of Sephardic Jews from Spain to Istanbul, Sephardic songs and dances and examples of the ethnic dances of Anatolians living in Istanbul will be staged. The beauty of living together in Istanbul is described by the show's language of dance.
        More at: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * Speaking of Sephardic Jews, Yasmin Levy, a Jerusalem-born singer of Sephardic music in Ladino, the language of an ancient Spanish Jewish culture, is set to take to stage in a concert in Istanbul.
        The concert, scheduled for November 3, will be at Istanbul's Turker Inanoglu Maslak Show Center.
        Levy was born in 1975 into a musical family to a composer and a cantor parents. Her father, Yitzhak Levy was born in Turkey in 1919.

      * Vercihan Ziflioglu of Hurriyet Daily News reports from the Armenian capital YEREVAN that a part of the Armenian Music and Science Library, home to the some of the world's most priceless musical notes, documents, manuscripts and gramophone recordings, is dedicated to maintaining a Turkish and Azeri music archive.
        Museum director Gulo Nahadakyan has called on Turkey to help maintain the archive. 'The language of music is universal. We want to meet with you in the universal denominator,' she says.
        Ms Ziflioglu says that it is almost impossible to find such a comprehensive archive in Turkey.
        Unfortunately, the library, which accommodates hundreds of years' worth of world music history, has been severely neglected and some of the documents in the archive are kept in dust and dirt because of a lack of funds. Director Nahadakyan said the archive is deprived of financial support and has severe economic problems.
        More at: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * According to the Anatolia news agency, Iran's renowned ethnic jazz musician Azam Ali and her Niyaz Band will perform a concert at Dicle University in Turkey's southeastern province of Diyarbakir on Nov. 27.
        Ali was the perfect embodiment of the founding purpose of the Diyarbakir Foundation for Culture and Arts which is organizing the concert, and what the group is trying to do in the southeastern city, said foundation member Fidel Balta.
        Ali was born in Tehran to a Kurdish mother and Persian father, raised in India and currently lives in the U.S. She is internationally recognized for her work with Vas, the critically acclaimed, best selling, world music duo she co-founded in 1996 with percussionist Greg Ellis. From 1997 - 2004 Vas has released four albums on the Narada music label.
        Singing in Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic and Persian, Ali is known as one of the best ethnic jazz musicians in the world.

      * Anatolia News Agency reports that, keeping alive a long tradition, the Turkish Embassy in Washington D.C. is continuing to host jazz concerts.
        in 1930's, late ambassador Munir Ertegun opened the residence of the Turkish Embassy in Washington DC to African-American jazz musicians during some of the darkest periods of racism in America, and the tradition is still continuing today with new jazz concerts.
        The Davey Yarborough Jazz Ensemble gave the first concert within this context at the residence of the Turkish Embassy on Tuesday night. Two hundred guests attended the concert.
        A series of six concerts will be hosted at the embassy, giving prominence to young and promising musicians. Turkish jazz musicians will also participate in the series of concerts, which will reinforce the Turkish embassy's stance against racism.
        Mica Ertegun, the wife of the late Ahmet Ertegun, a founder of Atlantic Records, which also extended support to African-American jazz musicians, also attended the concert.
        "At the time, Munir Ertegun was Turkey's ambassador in Washington and had two sons: Ahmet and Nesuhi Ertegun," said present Turkish Ambassador NamIk Tan. "In those days there was serious discrimination and segregation against blacks. Ertegun's sons were really into jazz in those days and established good friendships with musicians. In time they convinced their father to take an interest in jazz. He liked the idea and started to host jazz concerts at our residence.
        "In those days nobody accepted black Americans, especially white musicians. A southern senator at the time wrote a letter to the Turkish ambassador saying: ‘Everybody knows the way to treat blacks but you keep allowing them in through your front door. Don't you think this is a little bizarre?'" Tan said.
        "Mr. Ertegun in his reply said: ‘Yes we always take in our friends through the front door. If you like, you are welcome too, but we will take you in through the back door.' This letter earned the sympathy of black Americans. To this day, there are people who tell this story," the present ambassador said.
        Ambassador Tan said they would host a concert once every two months and were currently looking for sponsors.

      * Vercihan Ziflioglu of Hurriyet Daily News reports that The TuYAP Istanbul Book Fair, which will take place from Oct 30 to Nov 7, is 29 years old this year, with Spain as its guest of honor and 'Writing Istanbul' as its main theme.
        'In the past, the fair has been attacked, stands were raided, books were confiscated and writers were arrested,' its coordinator says. 'But thanks to our determination, we have turned our fair into a democratic platform'.
        More at: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * According to the Anatolia NA, A Turkish documentary film won "the best documentary film" award in Thanet International Film Festival in Britain.
        "Ifakat", directed by Orhan Tekeoglu, won the award in documentary film category in the Festival which took place in Kent between October 25 and 28.
        The film tells the difficult lives of women in Turkey's Black Sea region.
        A total of 404 long, short and documentary movies competed in the festival.
        Another Turkish film, "Majority", directed by Turkish filmmaker Seren Yuce, won both the Golden Gateway Award for best film, as well as the best actor for Bartu Kucukcaglayan, at the 12th edition of the Mumbai Film Festival.
        Majority made its world premiere at the 67th Venice Film Festival where it won the "Lion of the Year" award. The film also won the "Golden Orange" at the 47th Antalya Film Festival.
        Majority is set on a young middle-class man who rebels against his father's brutal authority and seeks a rough romance with a woman of an ethnic minority.
        The director's tale draws on the example of today's Turkish youth and the timeless shadow of fathers over sons.

      * According to Anatolia News Agency, British capital will host another Turkish film festival.
        The 16th London Turkish Film Festival will start with the world premier of Turkish movie-maker Cagan Irmak's "Sleeping Princess".
        The festival will begin with the opening gala night at the Empire Leicester Square on November 4.
        During the gala, famous actor Sener Sen will be presented with the Golden Wings Lifetime Achievement Award.
        Winner of the Golden Wings Digiturk Digital Distribution Award will also be announced during the event. The winner to be chosen by an international jury will be awarded with a prize of 30,000 pound. "Honey" by Semih Kaplanoglu, "In Darkness" by Cagan Irmak, "Cosmos" by Reha Erdem, "The Crossing" by Selim Demirdelen and "Majority" by Seren Yuce are the nominees for this year's award.
        During the 15-day festival, a number of films including "Egg" and "Milk" by Kaplanoglu, "Loose Cannons" by Ferzan Ozpetek, "Turquaze" by Kadir Balci and "Resurrecting the Street Walker" by Ozgur Uyanik will be screened.
        Festival venues are Empire Leicester Square, Apollo Piccadilly Circus and Rio Cinema.

      * Turkey will be the "honorary guest" of the 18th Damascus International Film Festival in Syrian capital. The film festival will take place from November 7 to 13. Turkan Soray, one of the leading actresses of Turkish cinema, will attend the festival.

      * Safranbolu in Turkey's northwestern province of Karabuk hosted a concert by Japanese musician Hideki Togi on Monday.
        Officials said that concert was part of celebrating Japanese culture in 2010.
        Hideki Togi, known as the prince of traditional performing arts, the gagaku musician reinterprets classical Japanese court music.
        Nearly 20,000 Japanese tourists visit Safranbolu every year.

      * Turkey's Bursa province and Hessen state of Germany signed a sister city protocol.
        The protocol was signed by Bursa governor Sahabettin Harput and Hessen Deputy Premier Jorg-Uwe Hahn at a ceremony in Istanbul on Thursday also attended by German President Christian Wulff.
        Governor Harput said Bursa, ranking 2nd in exports among Turkish cities, was one of the fastest growing engines of Turkey's economy. He said the 6,500 year old city was also the major center of textiles, food and agricultural sectors. "We are looking forward to taking concrete steps to turn the protocol into bilateral cooperation," said Harput.

      Bursa

      * Turkey has been a popular travel destination for centuries, and nearly 25 million foreigners visited in 2009 alone.
        The American Turkish Society and the Turkish Cultural Foundation on November 3 for a conversation with travel specialist Serif Yenen, author and Chairman of the Federation of Turkish Tour Guides.
        For online reservations : https://www.z2systems.com/
        For questions, please call 212.583.7614 or email info@....
        The American Turkish Society
      305 E. 47th Street (between 1st
      and 2nd Avenues), 8th Floor, New York.

      * American Turkish Society has organized also a lecture. Mr. Mesut Ilgim will speak on the "Heimatlos" professors, academics who were exiled by the Nazi Germany.
        Mostly Jewish, these German scholars sought refuge in Turkey and contributed to the education of the young Turkish republic.
        It all started with a letter from Albert Einstein. In 1933, Albert Einstein wrote a letter to then President Mustafa Kemal Ataturk offering the assistance of a group of recently expelled German intellectuals in modernizing the higher education system of the newly established republic. Nearly two hundred academics subsequently emigrated to Turkey to work with academic and governmental institutions.
        On Friday, November 5, 2010 at 6:30 P.M. Mr. Ilgim will talk about the story of these German scholars in detail.

      EXCHANGE RATE

      EXCHANGE RATE for the U.S. dollar in New Turkish Liras: 1.42

      WEATHER

      High and Low Temperatures in Degrees F, Weather

      Ankara, in central Turkey:57/37 Foggy

      Antalya, on the Mediterranean:79/57 Mostly Sunny

      Istanbul, in northwestern Turkey:64/52 Foggy

      Izmir, on the Aegean:72/52 Mostly Sunny

      Van, in Eastern Turkey50/37 Mostly Cloudy

      Trabzon, on the Black Sea:59/46 Mostly Cloudy

      Seawater temperatures

      Black Sea measured at Trabzon64

      Marmara Sea measured at Tekirdag63

      Aegean Sea measured at Izmir68

      Mediterranean Sea measured at Antalya75

      SPORTS

      Soccer

      Premiere League

      * Results for week:9
      Karabuk Sp.-Eski$ehir Sp1 - 2
      Sivas Sp-Buca Sp.1 - 1
      B. $ehir Bld. Sp-G. Antep Sp1 - 0
      Antalya Sp.-Konya Sp.1 - 0
      Trabzon Sp-G. Birligi3 - 1
      Ankaragucu-Bursa Sp1 - 5
      Manisa Sp-Kasimpa$a2 - 1
      Fenerbahce-G. Saray0 - 0
      Kayseri Sp-Be$ikta$1 - 0

      In games played so far this weekend:10

      Bursa Sp-Fenerbahce1 - 1
      Eski$ehir Sp-Ankaragucu0 - 0
      G. Antep Sp-Karabuk Sp.0 - 0
      G. Saray-Antalya Sp.2 - 1
      Trabzon Sp-G. Birligi3 - 1

      Standing in the league as of week ending 9

      1 -Bursa Sp23

      2 -Trabzon Sp20

      3 -Kayseri Sp20

      4 -Fenerbahce17

      5 -Antalya Sp.17

      6 -Karabuk Sp.14

      7 -Be$ikta$13

      8 -Ankaragucu13

      9 -G. Saray13

      10 -B. $ehir Bld. Sp13

      11 -Manisa Sp12

      12 -G. Antep Sp10

      13 -Eski$ehir Sp9

      14 -G. Birligi8

      15 -Buca Sp.7

      16 -Sivas Sp7

      17 -Konya Sp.6

      18 -Kasimpa$a2

      * The 21st International Yacht Races Week began in Marmaris town of the western province of Mugla on Monday. The event is organized by Marmaris International Yacht Club at Marmaris Gulf.

      * Allen Iverson has agreed in principle to a two-year contract with the Beko Basketball League side Be$ikta$.
        Iverson is expected to officially sign with the club this weekend and will begin his overseas career the week of Nov. 8. His management team put out a release Thursday, the Associated Press reported.
        According to earlier reports, the agreement is for a year with the option of extending it by another year. Iverson will receive $1.5 million for the first year, to which will be added a bonus of $300,000 on his passing a medical after arriving in Istanbul.
        Iverson was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1996 draft and spent his first 10 seasons in Philadelphia. He was a four-time scoring champion, averaged 26.7 points and never won a championship.

      ANNOUNCEMENTS

      [Saat 18:30 and 19:30 'da iki kez okuyun]

      *** Stanford University Comparative Literature Department invites you to:

      A weekly meeting for an hour and talk about anything and everything in Turkish.

      If you would like to be a part of the conversation or if you know someone who wants to
      practice Turkish, we are meeting on Mondays at 1pm at Coupa, in front of the
      Green Library.

      The meetings are organized by Burcu Karahan, Turkish Language & Literature Lecturer
      Department of Comparative Literature

      For more info contact her at:  <bkarahan@...>

      ***  The Bay Area Turkish Community School is having a potluck tomorrow to celebrate the Republic Day of Turkey.

      *** September 12th, the new academic year at the Bay Area Turkish Community School started.

      You can still enroll your children!

      The Bay Area Turkish Community School (BATCS) was
      founded by the Turkish-American community living in the San Francisco Bay Area
      in 1989. The objectives of BATCS are:
      • To improve the Turkish speaking, reading, writing and comprehension skills of children ages between 5-12.
      • To teach Turkish culture, values, traditions and history.
      The classes are also mixed with fun activities for children such as meeting new
      friends, learning new games and songs, and going to field trips. Special
      programs, including audio-visual presentations and Bayram potlucks, celebrate
      national and religious holidays.

      LOCATION
      Hillview Community Center, Room 16
      97 Hillview Avenue Los Altos, CA 94022
      TIME 10:30 A.M. - 12:30 P.M.

      If you would like to volunteer as a teacher send an email to: batc-abc@yahoogroups.com

      *** On line Turkish classes:

      TurkishCampus.com

      *** This program is partially underwritten by CHIC FRENCH.

      Point your browsers to

      www.ChicFrench.com

      for fine European goods.

      *** Visit our eStore for your gifts:

      turkradio.us/estore

      for items from Turkey.

      Click HERE to search our eStore!

      We now have Turkish films that you can download

      *** Turkish American Association of California

      is a non-profit
      charitable organization established to promote better
      understanding between Americans and Turks.

      If you have any questions about Turks and Turkey,
      e-mail them at taac@...

      *** Planning to go to Turkey?

      Take a look at our Web pages
      that are full of articles and information furnished by
      travelers like yourselves:

      travel.to/sunholiday

      *** For more music from Turkey and the Middle East tune to

      International Cultural Program.

      San Francisco World TV Channel 29
      Sundays at 9-10 A.M.

      *** Yore dance invites you to:

      Free Turkish Folkdance Classes.

      Thursdays, 7:30 P.M. at Stanford,
      Sundays 2 P.M. at San Francisco

      Please contact with Yore Folk Ensemble for the details.

      Sundays 2 P.M. Regular Practice Location:

      Alonzo King LINES Dance Center;
      26 Seventh Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103

      Program:

      2:00 P.M. Warm up
      2:20 P.M. Teke
      4:00 P.M. Trakya
      4:30 P.M. Black Sea
      5:00-P.M. Stretch

      TELL YOUR FRIENDS who might be interested joining our group.

      Yore Folk Ensemble

      *** Azerbaijan Culture Night

      Committed to our cultural mission in promoting Azerbaijani rich cultural and literary heritage, Azerbaijan Cultural Society of Northern California is honored to host two celebrated Azerbaijani poets, Mr. Muzaffar Derafshi and Mr. Ismail Jamili’s poetry recital on Friday, November 5th, 2010 from 7:30 P.M. to 10 P.M..

      Honorable guests to our community, Mr. Derafshi and Mr. Jamili will read from their poetry and will share some pieces of their exquisite arts with us.

      *** Azerbaijani Turkish language classes

      Check wıth the ACSNC center web pages for dates and tımes: http://acsnc.org/
      All are welcome to attend and learn more about the rich and beautiful Azeri tongue.

      Address:

      16400 Lark Ave. Ste # 260
      Los Gatos, CA 95032

      {20101030trh.txt}