x0x All Turk and all play

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2010
      x0x All Turk and all play

      Sarah Nicole Prickett, Weekend Post Friday, Jul. 23, 2010

      Crazy, maybe, to trust the taxi drivers in strange half-eastern lands.
      Crazier still to trust government tourism inducements saying that everyone
      is coming to the dream city formerly known as Constantinople. But then
      Bairuq the cabbie says, mid-careen through some byzantine byway, that
      tourism is up by half this summer. And sure. Why not?

      Its a banner year for Istanbul. A banner over the gilded citys gates
      proclaims its status as 2010 European Capital of Culture. Surely, I ask
      Bairuq, the intelligentsia come for all the galleries sprouting along the
      Bosphorus? The street music festivals in Beyoglu?

      His facial expression translates roughly to you must be kidding me,
      blondie. He throws an arm out the window, or tries, forgetting it is
      rolled up against the late-day blaze. Look! The most beautiful city!

      Theres an old shadow play in Turkey, featuring two puppets, the illiterate
      but witty labourer Karagoz and Hacivat, the poetic ruling-class man. The
      poet has all the learning, but the simple unschooled man gets the last
      laugh every time. Thats Bairuq.

      Read the rest at: http://turkradio.us/k/20100724akul.html