x0x Turkish News for the week ending 13 February 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2010
      SF Turkish Radio Hour News

      {20100213trh.txt}

      x0x Turkish News for the week ending 13 February 2010

      [This is a transcript of the news broadcast on 13 February 2010]

      Courtesy of Turkish Radio Hour, producer of the
      TURKISH CULTURAL PROGRAM, every Saturday from 6 PM to 8 PM on
      KUSF FM 90.3, San Francisco

      You can also listen live from a link on the web site: http://turkradio.us/

      Also tune to KKUP FM 91.5, Cupertino to hear the
      ORIENT EXPRESS every Tuesday at 10 PM

      Audio archives of our radio broadcasts are at: http://www.TurkRadio.us/ar/archives.html

      Also available as podcasts for your MP3 players at:
      http://turkradio.podomatic.com/

      Ahmet Toprak is the editor-in-chief. Your broadcast host is Melis Atalay.

      If you wish to subscribe to the Internet edition of this news,
      send a blank email to: TurkC-L-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      NEWS

      * The Turkish president Mr. Abdullah Gul visited India this week. While in Mumbai, Mr. Gul addressed the Turkish-Indian Business Council, calling on entrepreneurs from the two countries to make mutual investments.
        He also attended the opening ceremony for Turkish consulate there.
        Mr. Gul also attended a banquet hosted in his honor by Turkish companies doing business in India, and enjoyed performances by traditional Indian dancers and a group of Bollywood stars.
        On Wednesday Mr. Gul visited Taj Mahal, the 17th century shrine dedicated to Emperor Shah Jihan's wife Erjumend Banu Begum.
        In related news, OneIndia News quoted Turkey's ministers states Mehmet Aydin as saying that the volume of trade between India and Turkey is expected to double by 2012. Currently Mr. Aydin says that the trade between the two countries is around $3.5 billion.

      * According to the Hurriyet daily News, the Turkish prime minister Mr. Erdogan criticized the European Parliament's recent progress report on Turkey.
        The Turkish prime minister called the report biased and rebuked the European Union over its policies towards Turkey.
        The report was written by Dutch Christian Democrat Ria Oomen-Ruijten, called on Turkey to hand over a Turkish Cypriot town to Greek Cypriots and immediately begin the withdrawal of Turkish troops.
        According to the UPI, Erdogan said: "Although all member states signed the agreement to kick off accession negotiations with Turkey, it is discouraging and unrealistic to question its European identity,"
        "It is always the Greek Cypriot party which hampered the negotiation process. As we said on numerous occasions before, 65 percent of Turkish Cypriot people voted in favor of the Annan plan in the twin referenda while 75 percent of Greek Cypriots voted against it. I cannot understand how European Union can still blame Turkey and Turkish Cypriots for the failure to reach a solution. I want members of the European Parliament to open their eyes and see the facts. The function of the European Parliament should not be acting as a spokesman for the Greek Cypriot party. We regret that the European parliament failed in its first test about Turkey in its new legislative year," he said.

      * According to the Anatolia News Agency, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus prime minister Mr. Dervis Eroglu said on Friday even if the Cyprus problem is resolved, there is no guarantee that Turkey will be admitted to the European Union.
        In 1974, after Turkey's military intervention to protect the Cypriot Turks from hostile Greeks, the island has been divided into two ethnic zones. Turkey maintains about 30,000 troops in the Turkish sector. The European Union has been implicitly making the reunification of the island a condition for Turkey's admission to the European Union.
        As the Turkish Prime Minister said and we quoted in the previous news item, although in 2004 Turkish Cypriots approved the reunification of the island in a referendum, Cypriot Greeks voted against the unification. The same year European Union admitted the Greek Cyprus as a member.
        The Turkish Cypriot prime minister says that there is a political blackmail against Turkey over Cyprus.

      * According to the Turkish daily Turkiye, foreign affairs minister Mr. Ahmet Davutoglu met on Tuesday with his Bosnia-Herzegovinian counterpart Sven Alkalaj and Serbian counterpart Vuk Jeremic.
        Afterwards, Mr. Davutoglu told a joint press conference that they are working to transform the Balkans from a region of conflict and tension to one of stability and welfare. He said that they are working to leave behind prejudices and solve problems through diplomatic means.
        Lamenting the lack of diplomatic contacts between Bosnia-Herzegovina and Serbia, Mr. Davutoglu said, "There wasn't a Bosnian representative in Serbia. We overcame that crisis. A Bosnia-Herzegovinian ambassador will serve in Belgrade in the days to come."
        In related news, along with Mr. Davutoglu, Alkalaj and Jeremic were received by Turkey's prime minister Mr. Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

      * The Turkish daily Cumhuriyet, Turkey's natural resources minister Mr. Taney Yildiz met with a delegation led by South Korea's power company head Kim Sang Su.
        During the meeting, the two sides talked about a nuclear power plant in Turkey's Black Sea Province of Sinop.

      * Turkish businesswoman Umran Beba has been named the new head of PepsiCo's Asia Pacific region, reports the Turkish daily Aksam.
        Ms. Beba, formerly the company's southeastern European region head, will be based in Hong Kong and will take over strategy and business development responsibilities for the entire Asia Pacific region but India and China .
        Ms. Beba will also be responsible for merging and buying processes in the region, which covers 18 countries and includes more than 6,000 employees.

      * Reuters reports that Turkey plans to invest about $12 billion over the next decade to build a high-speed railway network and shift more traffic to trains, a Turkish State Railways official said on Wednesday.

      * One of Turkey's wealthiest people, Mehmet Emin Karamehmet, has received a prison sentence of 11 years and eight months for embezzlement, the Dogan news agency reported.
        Mr Karamehmet is the chairman of the board of directors at Cukurova Holding, one of Turkey's biggest conglomerates.
        The tycoon, who is also the chairman of Turkcell, the country's biggest mobile-phone operator, was being tried at the 8th Istanbul Criminal Court over the hefty loans made by the now-bankrupt Pamukbank to some businesspeople. The 12 accused include Dinc Bilgin and Cavit caglar.
        Karamehmet was sentenced for his alleged role in distributing credits while he was the chairman of Pamukbank.

      * According to the Dow Jones News Agency, Toyota will recall approximately 57,000 vehicles in Turkey.

      * According to the Hurriyet daily News, the top NATO commander in Afghanistan restated his request for combat troops and praised Turkey's role when he met with Turkish journalists visiting a Turkish military camp in the war-torn country.
        "Turkish forces are exactly where I think they should be. I think all coalition forces have learned a lot by emulating the way they operate in this environment," U.S. Gen. Stanley McChrystal says.

      ARTS AND CULTURE

      Edited by Serkan Hatipoglu

      * The world's only full-panoramic museum, the Panorama 1453 History Museum, which opened Jan. 31, 2009, broke a visitors record in a year.
        Panorama 1453, which the only full-panoramic museum in the world, enables guests to witness the conquest of Istanbul with 3-D visuals. The museum is located at the Topkapi Cultural Park, where Istanbul's conqueror, Sultan Mehmed II, set up his tent. Panorama 1453 acts as a bridge between history and today and presents nearly 10,000 human figures and objects on a total area of 3,000 square meters.
        Surprising visitors and stirring emotions, the museum was visited by a total of 721,116 people since the opening on Jan. 31, 2009, which included the participation of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
        Painter and cartoon director Hasim Vatandas, the director of the eight-person team that created the Panorama 1453 museum's visual images, said they completed the museum as a result of three years of work.
        Vatandas said painting Sultan Mehmed II was the most difficult. He said they used painter Gentile Bellini's "Sultan Mehmed II" painting as an example, adding: "Bellini made the painting one year before his death. It showed the old sultan, but we needed the younger times of the sultan because he was 21 in 1453. We tried to make the painting younger. This is why this was the most difficult part for us. In my opinion, he does not seem like 21 but younger than 30."
        Vatandas said they had planned to create a cipher for the museum. "The idea of making the painting of Sultan Mehmed in the cloud came up. He is looking toward the city. We wanted it to be hardly seen, be a kind of cipher," he said.
        He added "You can discover new things each time you see a very good Hollywood film. This is because of the details. Here, everything has many details. One cannot perceive everything at one time because of too many details."
        For further information about the museum, visit http://www.panoramikmuze.com

      * Street animals have a special place in the city life of Istanbul. Cats, dogs and birds are the owners of the city as well as the locals. Considering this, photographer Arif Asci prepared a three-volume book featuring the birds, street cats and dogs of Istanbul. The books include photos that he has taken during the last 20 years.
        Books on Istanbul will be released and exhibitions and events will be organized in honor of Istanbul's status as the 2010 European Capital of Culture. Many of them have already begun to meet readers and art lovers, such as photographer Arif Asci's three-volume series.
        The series, which is made up of three photography albums named "The Street Dogs of Istanbul," "The Street Cats of Istanbul" and "The Birds of Istanbul," features a collection spanning 20 years.
        Talking about the books, Mr. Asci said none of the photos were taken to become a part of a book. He told that he continued taking photos on the city streets as he also found opportunities among other things like traveling the Silk Road.
        Mr. Asci wrote a detailed and impressive introduction for each book. He also has pets. "I had two dogs years ago, a terrier and an Italian hound dog. Their names were Asprin and Ester. Now I have a cat named Sari (yellow). It is a street animal, and I sometimes take it home. When she is away from home, I miss her. I told her story in my book."
        Following the Silk Road, Mr. Asci closely saw most parts of the Eastern world. When compared to those in other countries, Istanbul's cats, dogs and birds are luckier, according to Mr. Asci. He said there was no city in the world that sheltered as many street animals as the ones in Istanbul. "They are like the orphaned children of the city," he said, adding: "I did not make a special work on children, but I have a magnificent photo collection named 'Istanbul's Children.' I want to publish it if I can find a publisher."
        Mr. Asci said the street animals were very important to Istanbul as the city has been referred to as "the city with dogs" in Western tourists' travel books.
        Mr. Asci thinks that the three types of animals can symbolize different neighborhoods. "Seagulls can symbolize the coasts; cats, neighborhoods like Cihangir and Fatih; and cats and dogs together symbolize Moda. The three of them can symbolize Galata. Cormorants are for Kadikoy dock. For example, migrating cockatoos rule Gulhane Park and the courtyard of Topkapi Palace."
        It is possible to see the history of the streets in the background of Mr. Asci's photos. For example, the cobblestones of Istiklal Avenue have changed four times since he started taking the photos. It is possible to see this looking at the streets where cats and dogs are walking. One can see the quarter-century history of the city in the background of the photos.
        "When looking carefully," Mr. Asci said: "One can see that these animals have adventures and a hierarchy among themselves. I also mentioned it in the introductions of the books. They have their own republic in Istanbul. They have an unbelievable joy of living. The aestheticism that they add to the city cannot be explained but photographed. This is what I did. I cannot think of an Istanbul without cats, dogs and birds. Also, the people of the city greet them with love. I told stories about it in each of the books. For example, birdhouses in mosques and palaces are wonderful architectural details. There are homes and foundations for birds that cannot migrate, and there are even animal lovers who leave their inheritances to their butchers to feed the dogs. There is nothing like this in the other parts of the world."

      * The Museum of Broken Relationships, founded by two Croatian artists, is touring the world and displaying objects from failed love affairs. Istanbul's Istinye Park shopping mall is hosting the museum's exhibition until Feb 14 as part of Valentine's Day activities.
        The exhibition, which is traveling around the world, makes love stories immortal by collecting mementos of failed relationships in each country it visits.
        The Museum of Broken Relationships was founded in an old department store by Olinka Vistica, a Croatian artist based in Zagreb, and artist and co-curator Drazen Grubisic after consoling friends over their unsuccessful romances.
        "The pain caused by a breakup often produces a strong creative drive," said Vistica. "Some people turn to writing who had never written before, and it's this emotional experience that makes it possible."
        The exhibition displays many items that could initially be perceived as junk, though they often hold deep personal significance for the people who donated them. The collection includes everything from romantic and touching letters to different gifts given to lovers, such as teddy bears and photos.
        The first contributions to this unusual museum collection came from cities such as Zagreb, Split, Ljubljana, Maribor, Sarajevo, Skopje, Pula and Belgrade, which had not so long ago been in the same country, one that painfully fell apart in the '90s. They came from "a broken territory," often witnessing how a "breakup" of a country can influence even the most intimate part of lives, the curators say; they tell about "small" dramas happening in the shadow of "big" historical events. After the success of this first display, this unique museum is now touring the world.

      EXCHANGE RATE
      EXCHANGE RATE for the U.S. dollar in New Turkish Liras: 1.51

      WEATHER
      High and Low Temperatures in Degrees F, Weather
      Ankara, in central Turkey----------:
      55/41 Showers
      Antalya, on the Mediterranean------:
      61/54 Thunderstorms
      Istanbul, in northwestern Turkey---:
      54/48 Heavy Showers
      Izmir, on the Aegean---------------:
      61/55 Heavy Showers
      Trabzon, on the Black Sea----------:
      57/48 Mostly Cloudy

      Snow depths at skiing locations:
      Erciyes, in Kayseri, Central Turkey
      66 inches
      Ilgaz, in Kastamonu, North Central Turkey
      39 inches
      Kartalkaya, in Bolu, Western Turkey
      79 inches
      Palandoken, in Erzurum, Eastern Turkey
      63 inches
      Saklikent, in Antalya, Southern Turkey
      69 inches
      Sarikamis, in Kars, Eastern Turkey
      67 inches
      Uludag, in Bursa, Western Turkey
      100 inches

      SPORTS

      * Soccer

      * Premiere League

      * Results for week20

      BE$IKTA$-G. BIRLIGI4 - 1
      ESKI$EHIR Sp-B. $EHIR BLD. Sp2 - 1
      KAYSERI Sp-G. SARAY0 - 0
      SIVAS Sp-DENIZLI Sp2 - 0
      ANKARAGUCU-BURSA Sp0 - 0
      KASIMPA$A-ANTALYA Sp2 - 2
      TRABZON Sp-MANISA Sp3 - 0
      FENERBAHCE-DIYARBAKIR Sp1 - 1

      Standing in the league as of week ending20
      1 -FENERBAHCE44
      2 -G. SARAY43
      3 -BURSA Sp39
      4 -KAYSERI Sp39
      5 -BE$IKTA$38
      6 -TRABZON Sp36
      7 -ESKI$EHIR Sp31
      8 -G. BIRLIGI30
      9 -B. $EHIR BLD. Sp29
      10 -ANTALYA Sp28
      11 -G. ANTEP Sp27
      12 -KASIMPA$A21
      13 -ANKARAGUCU20
      14 -DIYARBAKIR Sp20
      15 -SIVAS Sp20
      16 -MANISA Sp19
      17 -DENIZLI Sp7
      18 -ANKARA Sp0

      * Turkey will participate at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

       Alpine skiing at the 2010 Winter Olympics

      Tugba Dasdemir
      Erdinc Turksever

      CROSS-COUNTY SKIING

      Sebahattin Oglago
      Omer Yusufoglu
      Kelime Aydin cetinkaya

      Turkey has qualified 1 entrant in ladies singles

      Tugba Karademir

      ANNOUNCEMENTS

      [Saat 18:30 and 19:30 'da iki kez okuyun]

      *** TURKISH VIRTUOSO HUSNU SENLENDİRİCİ and GYPSY ALL-STARS

      Send us an email at: turkradio@... if you would like to win a pair of tickets! Write "Husnu Senlendirici" in the subject line.

      Turkish clarinet master Husnu Senlendirici for a celebration of Turkish and Balkan Music. Turkish-born Gypsy clarinet player Husnu Senlendirici is revered as a pop star in his native homeland. In the late 90s his Gypsy-funk outfit Laco Tayfa recorded and toured internationally with Brooklyn Funk Essentials. Since then Senlendirici has collaborated with Al Di Meola, tabla legend Zakir Hussain and Bulgarian clarinetist Ivo Paposov. Says the prolific New York trumpeter and bandleader Frank London, In Turkey, the clarinet is their saxophone and Husnu is Michael Brecker, Branford Marsalis and Maceo Parker all rolled into one. He is constantly pushing the envelope in any musical setting, raising the bar whether playing pop, improvisation, progressive folk or dance music. Expect heart wrenching melodies, lavish ornamentation and off-beat improvisation against complex drum rhythms an East-meets-West fusion of the highest order.
      Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 @ 9:00 PM
      Soma Art Center, San Francisco
      934 Brannan Street / San Francisco, CA 94103
      www.yoredance.org

      *** On line Turkish classes:

      TurkishCampus.com

      *** This program is partially underwritten by CHIC FRENCH.

      Point your browsers to

      http://www.ChicFrench.com

      for fine European goods.

      *** Visit our eStore for your gifts:

      http://turkradio.us/estore

      Click HERE to search our eStore!

      *** Turkish American Association of California

      is a non-profit
      charitable organization established to promote better
      understanding between Americans and Turks.

      If you have any questions about Turks and Turkey,
      e-mail them from at taac@...

      *** Planning to go to Turkey?

      Take a look at our Web pages
      that are full of articles and information furnished by
      travelers like yourselves:

      http://travel.to/sunholiday

      *** For more music from Turkey and the Middle East tune to

      International Cultural Program.

      San Francisco World TV Channel 29
      Sundays at 9-10 A.M

      *** Yore dance invites you to:

      Free Turkish Folkdance Classes.

      Wednesdays, 7:30 PM at Stanford,
      Sundays 2 PM at San Francisco

      Please contact with Yore Folk Ensemble for the details.

      www.yoredance.org
      contact@...

      Yore starts new session with a new region "Teke" on Sunday, January 31st.

      Location: 940 Grove Street, San Francisco

      Program:
      2:00 PM Warm up
      2:20 PM Teke
      4:00 PM Trakya
      4:30 PM Black Sea
      5:00-PM Stretch

      All Dancers: Don't forget your exercise outfits and shoes.

      Yore Folk Ensemble

      *** Azerbaijani Turkish language classes

      will start on February 20th, Saturday 11am- 1pm at the ACSNC center.
      All are welcome to attend and learn more about our rich and beautiful mother tongue.

      Address: 16400 Lark Ave. Ste # 260, Los Gatos, CA 95032

      *** Turkish Educational Foundation Presents

      Kuru Fasulye, Pilav (Beans and Rice)
      &
      Turkish Film

      Sunday Feb 28, 5:00 pm