x0x Turkish News for the week ending 30 January 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2010

      {20100130trh.txt}

      x0x Turkish News for the week ending 30 January 2010

      Courtesy of Turkish Radio Hour, producer of the
      TURKISH CULTURAL PROGRAM, every Saturday from 6 PM to 8 PM on
      KUSF FM 90.3, San Francisco

      You can also listen live from a link on the web site: http://turkradio.us/

      Also tune to KKUP FM 91.5, Cupertino to hear the
      ORIENT EXPRESS every Tuesday at 10 PM

      Audio archives of our radio broadcasts are at: http://www.TurkRadio.us/ar/archives.html

      Also available as podcasts for your MP3 players at:
      http://turkradio.podomatic.com/

      Ahmet Toprak edited today's news. Your host today is Murat Temeltas.

      If you wish to subscribe to the Internet edition of this news,
      send a blank email to: TurkC-L-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      NEWS

      Edited by Murat Temeltas

      * Turkey needs to stick with implementing reforms to secure further employment opportunities and productivity, economic guru Nouriel Roubini says writes the Hurriyet Daily News.
        The first economist to foresee that a period of global economic crisis was in fact approaching has said that he has a warm optimism regarding Turkey's economy.
        Though the country will see growth this year, the speed of that recovery will depend on the reforms adopted and on the global rally, according to Mr. Nouriel Roubini, a professor of economics at New York University's Stern School of Business and the chairman of Roubini Global Economics, an economic consultancy firm.
        "Turkey's economy has started its recovery period," said Mr. Roubini. "However, the speed of that recovery will not depend only on internal affairs. Development in global platforms is also a key to Turkey's economic recovery. And the recovery of the global economy is not something Turkey can single-handedly do anything about."
        According to the economist, most of Turkey's trade relations involve European countries, so improvement in European markets would certainly help speed up the country's economic growth. What Turkey can control is its implementation of reforms to secure competitive power, increase employment and productivity, Mr. Roubini added.
        International rating agencies have a positive approach to Turkey, he said, noting that as long as the country continues to implement a strong, secure monetary and fiscal policy, these agencies may up its rating even further, to an investment grade.
        Bloomberg meanwhile cited Turker Hamzaogu, an emerging-markets economist at Bank of America Corp.-Merrill Lynch & Co., as saying that the Turkish Central Bank's monetary policy was "too loose."
        "Actions speak louder than words. We expect the Central Bank to start hiking rates in May," the London-based Hamzaogu wrote in an e-mailed report Friday, adding that the first half of the year "will be challenging for the bank to convince the market that higher inflation is temporary."
        In regards to precautionary measures, Mr. Roubini said a deal with the International Monetary Fund could be a determining element for the speed of growth experienced in Turkey.
        In the meantime, International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn also commented in an interview with Bloomberg in Davos, Switzerland, late Thursday on how talks with Turkey on a loan accord were progressing. The International Monetary Fund has held negotiations with the government on a new program since a previous agreement expired in May 2008. Turkey's prime minister Mr. Recep Tayyip Erdogan said last month that the two sides were near an accord.
        "When a country is doing rather well they may need our advice, they may need our technical assistance, they may need our loans sometimes," said Strauss-Kahn. "We've been discussing with the Turkish government now for a long time, but it appears more and more obvious that Turkey's economy is doing rather well.
        "We still have some differences in forecasts we have in terms of growth, but not that much. I think that on maybe 80 to 85 percent we agree with what the government is saying," she added. "The standby agreement will be helpful for the Turkish economy but is not absolutely necessary so there's no rush."

      * Isil Egrikavuk of Hurriyet Daily News reports that as organic food and products gain more popularity among Turkish consumers, the number of shops and supermarkets targeting "health-conscious" customers increase. Some producers, however, have concerns that the popularity of organic products might result in problems in standardization of quality and price
        A third Istanbul market selling organic food has opened this week in KadIkoy, providing further evidence that consumer demand for such produce shows no signs of diminishing.
        But while citizens concerned about the use of pesticides in food production welcomed the new market, confusion reigns as to what, precisely, constitutes "organic" food and how such products should be regulated.
        The new market, a collaborative effort between the KadIkoy municipality and the Ecologic Producers Association, will be held every Wednesday in the Selamice$me neighborhood's Ozgurluk Park.
        On the heels of the new KadIkoy location, there are also plans to open organic markets in the Maltepe and Beylikduzu districts.

      * According to the Hurriyet Daily News Proposals to close Turkey's shopping centers on Sundays have drawn opposition from the Turkish Shopping Center Investors Association which says such a move would have an impact equivalent to closing the shops all together.
        "Even in Europe, where there has been a tradition of keeping shops closed on Sundays, there are moves to relax opening times," said Hakan Kodal, chairman of the association. "Such a move would have a negative impact on shopping center turnover and visitors."
        According to a survey by the association, 42.6 percent of all visitors to shopping centers visit them on Sundays. Of the 1,2000 people surveyed, 73.8 percent visit shopping centers on Saturdays or Sundays.

      * Turkey's trade deficit widened in December from a year earlier, the second consecutive expansion as the recovering economy draws in raw materials from abroad, reports the Hurriyet Daily News.
        The trade gap expanded to $4.9 billion from $3.7 billion in the year-earlier period, the statistics agency in Ankara said on its Web site today.
        Exports rose 30 percent to $10.1 billion in December from a year earlier, the statistics agency said today.
        Imports increased 31 percent to $15 billion, the agency said.

      * Arcelik, Turkey's biggest maker of home appliances, expects sales to increase 10 percent this year, driven by local and overseas demand for products such as televisions, reports Bloomberg.
        Sales volumes will rise 6 percent in Turkey, with exports set to climb 10 percent, according to an e-mailed presentation on Wednesday by the Istanbul-based company. TV sets will account for a larger proportion of 2010 sales and Arcelik also forecasts lower financing costs.
        The maker of fridges and washing machines predicts a minimum 11 percent margin, based on earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization against sales. Overall, the Turkish white goods market will grow about 6 percent this year, according to Arcelik estimates.

      * The foreign affairs ministers of neighboring Turkey and Greece are entering a new era in their once-troubled relationship following Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou's ascent to power in 2009 elections, writes the Hurriyet Daily News.
        Turkish foreign affairs minister Ahmet Davutogu held a more than three-hour-long meeting with Greece's acting foreign affairs minister Dimitri Droutsas during a dinner Thursday after the international London conference on Afghanistan.
        "We [..] discussed the details of the letters between the two prime ministers and the steps to be taken in the upcoming period," Mr. Davutogu told a group of journalists Friday. "We have similar perspectives on many issues and agreed disagreements should not harm cooperation."
        The Turkish foreign affairs minister signaled an increase in the number of high-level visits between the two neighbors. Diplomatic sources said Droutsas would fly to Ankara in February while Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan would travel to Athens in the spring.
        In his letter to the Turkish prime minister last week, Papandreou invited Erdogan to make an official visit to Greece. The Greek premier's letter was in response to one sent by Erdogan in November. The Turkish prime minister had earlier said that the letter promises hope for a solution to the two countries' problems.
        "I believe there will be a positive approach in our relations with Greece," Davutogu said in London. Referring to his meeting with Droutsas, he added: "We both believe Turkish-Greek relations should enter a new era. The pattern in ties should change in a positive direction."

      * The Turkish and Bulgarian Joint Committee on Transportation signed a protocol and a memorandum of understanding in the Turkish capital Ankara on Thursday reports the Anatolia news agency.
        With the new memorandum of understanding, the number of existing transportation points with Bulgaria has risen to four from two and the frequency number went up to 35 from 14.
        The protocol signed Thursday will enhance relations between Turkey and Bulgaria, Bulgarian Minister of Transportation Alexander Tsvetkov said, adding that existing commercial relations with Turkey do not reflect the actual available potential.
        Trade volume between Turkey and Bulgaria was around $2.3 billion last year.

      * The Turkish contingent commanding a NATO-led peacekeeping force in the Afghan capital of Kabul has started to train local military and police forces on using night-vision goggles and related equipment, the U.S. European Command said Friday, reports the Hurriyet Daily News reporter Umit Enginsoy.
        Turkey took command of the International Security Assistance Force Kabul contingency for six months starting in November.

      * Turkish Parliament late Thursday began discussing a draft law on the establishment of a new undersecretariat for public order and security that will run under the Interior Ministry.
        A draft law on the establishment of an independent human rights institution was also sent to Parliament. The draft law on the new undersecretariat is expected to pass next week
        Two draft laws prepared by the Interior Ministry came to Parliament's agenda as part of the government's efforts to speed up its Kurdish initiative to end the country's long-standing terror problem.

      * According to the Hurriyet Daily News, Netafim, an Israeli firm in smart water solutions for agriculture, opened a new factory Thursday in Turkey's southern city of Adana.
        Netafim, the world's largest and leading provider of drip and micro irrigation solutions, established the plant over an area of around 15 acres in the Adana HacI SabancI Organized Industrial Zone, with a cost of around $10 million.
        "Netafim's plant investment is a peaceful and perfect incident between Israel and Turkey," Gabby Levy, the Israeli ambassador in Turkey, said during his speech at the opening ceremony.
        Noting that the relations between the two countries have been developing, Levy said: "This investment is excellent in terms of economy as well as for our individual relations. This can be used as a trump for our economic and commercial relations. Just like siblings, friends and relatives sometimes have conflicts, this occurs also among countries at times, but not all the time. We are siblings. Our being here is proof that the two countries are siblings."

      * Best known as the mayor of $i$li, Mustafa SarIgul is currently in his third term, although he is also actively engaged in establishing a new political party, the Turkey Movement for Change, reports the Hurriyet Daily News reporters Gul Demil and Niki Gamm.
        Mr. SarIgul has suggested that he will resign from his position as mayor to spend more time organizing the new party.
        Mr. SarIgul's goal is to contest the 2011 general election, something denied of him when he was still a member of the Republican People's Party. His running fight with Republican People's Party leader Deniz Baykal has lasted several years, with the latter managing to keep his position as the political party's general chairman in spite of Mr. SarIgul's efforts and those of others who felt that Mr. Baykal was bad for the party.
        The situation in which Mr. SarIgul was voted out of the party by Baykal supporters, only to be reinstated by a court decision, continued until April of last year. At that point, Mr. SarIgul resigned from the Republican People's Party, vowing to set up a rival party.
        A former member of Parliament representing Istanbul, Mr. SarIgul has served on numerous parliamentary committees, including the Presidential Board, the Turkish-German Parliamentary Friendship Group Administrative Board and the Turkish National Olympics Committee. Winning a third term as mayor of $i$li was no mean feat, especially since the ruling Justice and Development Party has a strong hold on the popular vote throughout the city. As mayor, he represents 350,000 constituents and manages a budget of $2 billion. His administration has been noted for its progressive policies with regard to education, environment, European Union accession, religious representation and minority rights.
        The new party is not stopping at organizing within Turkey. It is in the process of opening bureaus in Brussels and in Washington, D.C.

      ARTS AND CULTURE

      Edited by Anita Donohoe

      * Anatolia News Agency reports that a female entrepreneur from Izmir is the first to turn the water color marbling art into a decorative product by applying it into Turkish natural stone and marble. Water color marbling is very important in traditional Turkish handicrafts.
        As part of the Istanbul 2010 European Capital of Culture events, artisan Saadet Erciyas is preparing to display her products and sell them in museum stores. Her next goal is to market them around the world.
        The idea is to "make natural stone dance with marbling," Ms. Erciyas, the project manager for Aesthetic Marble, told the Anatolia news agency.
        "Our marble and natural stone is an underground richness that draws much attention in the world. We have 40 percent of the world reserves,' she said. "In fairs I have visited abroad, I have seen artifacts made of natural stone. 'Made in Italy' was written on these products. I thought we could sell our own natural stone with a 'Made in Turkey' label."
        "There is women's labor in every stage of our work. This is an innovative product that creates value [with] women's labor," she said. "We make it in the traditional handicraft format using earth dye. The art of marbling has been applied to paper, cloth and felt for years. I am sure stone has been tried, too, but what we do is a first as a cultural product."
        "We create frames, paintings, coat hangers and plaques," she said. "We apply the traditonal flower designs such as tulips, daisies, violets and roses to the stone. We also pay attention so that the colors do not hide the texture of the natural stone."
        See more: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * Gul Demir and Niki Gamm of Hurriyet Daily News reprot that within the framework of the Istanbul's Beyoglu Municipality Intercultural Art Dialogues, an exhibition in cooperation with the Hellenic Culture Foundation has opened at the municipality's art gallery on I.stiklal Avenue. The exhibition dubbed "Lights and Shadows in the Balkans' includes some 80 works by eight photographers from Balkan countries.
        Perhaps it is fitting that Istanbul is one of the stops for this traveling exhibition. People tend to forget that Ottoman Turks played a part in the history of the Balkans from 1354 when they first began to establish themselves in southeastern Europe until 1804 as more and more of the Balkan countries began to declare their independence thanks to the winds of the French Revolution. Either the Ottomans subjected the lands to direct rule or allowed the people to be subject to their own rulers although that often resulted in revolts and war.
        Scholars point to population movements that occurred under the Ottomans for a number of today's disagreements over territory. Two such issues that are still festering today are Kosovo and Macedonia. Under the Ottomans some groups expanded or were moved beyond their original homelands and since the Ottomans were quite accustomed to ethnically mixed populations, there was little conflict. However, with the end of Ottoman rule, some ethnic groups wanted to retain their ethnic identity and return to their original homelands that had come to be occupied by others. That conflict is still with us today, although often portrayed as religious in nature.
        Under the Ottomans, minorities such as the Greek Orthodox, the Armenians and the Jews were granted their own leaders and allowed to conduct their business by themselves unless a Muslim was involved. Following the conquest of Istanbul by the Ottomans in 1453, some of the Byzantine churches were converted into mosques. At the same time, the Christian minorities and Jews worked to repair many of their places of worship out of concern that they would be confiscated. The Ottomans, however, restricted these to repairs and did not permit the building of new churches.
        The exhibition is open from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and from noon to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Sismanoglio Megaro (Istiklal Cad. No.60). The exhibition ends Feb. 21.
        See more: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * Last week we told you about a new book titled "Istanbul Map's 1422-1922," which presents 500 years of maps of Istanbul was released this week.
        We received the news that the book will now take part in the Miami International Map Fair on Jan. 31 as a featured book.
        The book, written by art historian Ayse Yeti$kin Kubilay with the support of Topkap' Museum Director Professor Ilber Ortayli, features 100 maps chosen from 580 documents by Nick Adjemoglu, a former Istanbul resident living in Greece. It includes the first map of the Turkish metropolis, dated 1422, hidden beauties of the city and texts by travelers, in addition to maps of Istanbul through five centuries.
        Turgay Erol, president of the executive board of Denizler Publishing House, said that an exhibition would also be opened in Miami with some special maps selected from the book. Erol added that they were also planning to attend the map fairs in Dublin, London and Paris in the coming months.
        Meanwhile, original maps will be on display at Istanbul's Rahmi Koc Museum through Feb. 14.

      * Dogan News Agency reporta that scaffolding erected as part of various renovation projects at the Hagia Sophia over the past 17 years has now been removed.
        Listed as a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site and one of Istanbul's most important historical structures, the Hagia Sophia has undergone a comprehensive renovation process with a $2.2 million allocation from the Istanbul 2010 European Capital of Culture agency. As part of the project, the 165-ft-high scaffolding that obscured views of the main dome for more than 15 years has been dismantled.
        A press conference featuring the agency's Executive Board Chairman $ekip Avdagic and Hagia Sophia museum director Haluk Dursun was held to mark the removal of the scaffolding. Avdagic said the six-winged angel figure that was uncovered in the northeastern dome during the restoration has again attracted the world's attention to the museum and revealed the grand history of the Hagia Sophia.
        The chairman added that visitors would now be able to see the 700-year-old angel face without visual interference from the scaffolding. "The Hagia Sophia Museum, which is visited by 2.5 million foreigners every year, will continue to inspire people with its new face from now on,' he said.
        The second stage of the work includes the restoration of the museum's gallery floor, the fountain of Sultan Mahmut I and a school library (mekteb-i sibyen). There are further plans to restore eight famous panels of caligraphy. On the circular panels the names of the Prophet Mohammed; his grandsons Hasan and Huseyin; and caliphs Ebubekir, Omer, Osman and Ali are written.
        The six-winged angel mosaic, which measures 4.5 feet by 3 feet, was last seen by Swiss architect Gaspare Fossati, who headed restoration efforts at the museum between 1847 and 1849, and Ottoman Sultan Abdulmecid. Experts were surprised to see the mosaic, believed to date from the 14th century, was so well preserved. The six-winged figure is thought to depict a seraph, an angel described in the biblical book of Isaiah.
        See more: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * Vercihan Ziflioglu of the Hurriyet Daily News writes that Istanbul cannot rescue itself from being at the center of a new controversy. Europe's most melancholic capital of culture, Istanbul, is now the target of discussions over the poster designed by the Istanbul 2010 European Capital of Culture Agency to promote the city in Western countries.
        The oriental visuals in the poster with the slogan, "Meet the Roots of Fun ' In Istanbul 2010' has become a hot debate among intellectuals. The figures in the poster that have been heavily criticized through e-mails and social networking site Facebook, caricaturize the Ottoman past rather than the city's historic richness and modern face. Among the figures there is a flute player, a janissary, harem women, sultans and oil wrestlers.
        Speaking to the Hurriyet Daily News & Economic Review about the issue, Theater Critics founding member and executive board chairman, and International Interpreters Federation member, Hasan Anamur, said: "I condemn this attitude that promotes Turkey to the West with such images. I am not surprised by this poster, because they organize Turkish Days abroad and send the Ottoman Janissary Band."
        Anamur, speaking about the importance of expressing the modern face of Istanbul in the poster, replied to the question of how he would design a poster for the city, saying: "For example, I would depict a ballerina flying over the city in her tutu skirt. This ballerina would fly over the Hagia Sophia Museum, but unfortunately, such a poster would be against the conception of the world of the Justice and Development Party [or AKP] government."
        Just like Anamur, researcher Huseyin Irmak is reacting against the poster. He said Istanbul was a modern city of the world, adding: "This poster will trigger the oriental view on Turkey in the Western world."
        Irmak also criticized the AKP and said: "In a period in which the AKP is the ruling party, we could not expect a different poster. Unfortunately, the subconscious of the AKP members collides with the modern world."
        Ahmet Umit, one of Turkey's best-known detective novel writers, said it was totally meaningless to him that Istanbul is the European Capital of Culture for one year. He explained the reason, saying: "We rape this city everyday, plunder its history and natural beauties. So what if we become the culture capital of Europe?"
        Harshly criticizing the European Capital of Culture agency, Umit said, "Unfortunately, they make a hash of everything." When asked what he would want to see on a poster promoting Istanbul, Umit said: "Of course it should refer to the history, not only the Ottoman but also the Byzantine. The city's historic and modern face could have been presented together with a different concept."
        See more: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * The ninth !f Istanbul AFM International Independent Film Festival is coming to Istanbul and Ankara in February.
        The event, organized with contributions from the Istanbul 2010 European Capital of Culture Agency, will be held from Feb. 11 to 21 in Istanbul and from Feb. 25 to 28 in Ankara.
        The five most popular films of !f Istanbul will be screened in 15 locations throughout Anatolia and four other places in neighboring countries at the same time as the Istanbul screenings.
        Among the films to be shown are "Fantastic Mr. Fox," "Precious," "The Maid," "An Education" and "Crazy Heart." Other films, meanwhile, such as "The Lovely Bones" and "Un Prophet," will be shown only once.
        The festival jury will be composed by important cinema figures, including producer Daniel Birman Ripstein, Sundance Film Festival manager Caroline Libresco, NISI MASA (European Network of Young Cinema) founder Matthieu Darras, Icelandic director Dagur Kari and famous Turkish director and screenwriter Umit Unal.
        Kari will also be present during the gala of his latest film, "The Good Heart."

      * The Ankara International Jazz Festival, which plays an important role in promoting jazz music as well as supporting young jazz artists in Turkey, will meet audiences for the 13th time this year.
        Organized by the Ankara Jazz Association in collaboration with the Leo Organization, the festival will present a new theme as in previous years. Many Turkish and foreign jazz bands will meet art lovers around the theme of "Jazz and Piano" this year from Feb. 4 to 20.
        Speaking to the Anatolia news agency, the Ankara Jazz Festival director, Ozlem Oktar Varoglu, said the 13th year was meaningful for them as the festival reached a new age. She said concerts used to be organized at the Middle East Technical University, or ODTU, every year, but this year there was disagreement about the hall. "We pushed the limits to organize the festival. We felt sorry when the university said it would not give us a hall. Bilkent University received us with open arms, and all concerts will be held at Bilkent," she said.
        Recalling the theme of the festival, "Piano and Jazz," Varoglu said they chose various themes in previous years and wanted each instrument to be played at the festival. She said mostly pianists would perform in this year's festival. "There are world-renowned pianists in Turkey. We were not able to bring all the pianists we desired, but many famous pianists will be with us. Names like Fahir Atakoglu, Kerem Gorsev, Ay$e Tutunce and Burcin Buke will perform during the festival," Varoglu said.
        Varoglu also said the opening concert would be dedicated to Tuna Otenel, who can skillfully play many music instruments, including piano, bass, drum and saxophone.
        The Ankara International Jazz Festival's award ceremony was held Jan. 17 with the participation of one the world's most important jazz pianists, Jacky Terrasson. In addition to world-renowned piano artists like Michiel Borstlap and Antoine Herve, the festival will host Turkish names like Aydin Esen, Nilufer Verdi and A$k'n Arsunan. The soloist of the concert will be pianist I.lham Gencer. There will also be music workshops during the festival along with concerts.
        One of Turkey's biggest orchestras and a highlight of the festival, the Air Force Command Eagles of Jazz Orchestra will perform the protocol concert. The concert is open to the public, but attendance requires a free invitation, which is available from the Ankara Jazz Association

        For further info, visit www.ankaracazfestivali.org or www.leo.com.tr
        See more: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * Turkey's Ottoman past is being rediscovered not only by Turks themselves, but by people around the world, according to one of the country's most prominent historians, according to Luca Brunello of the Hurriyet Daily News. While historian and Topkap' Museum Director I.lber Ortayl' has gained fame for his long career and efforts to popularize Ottoman history among the general public, he is not alone in his quest.
        Caroline Finkel, a Scottish historian based in Istanbul, is noted in her field for being both a conventional academic historian and for her less orthodox initiatives. Her masterpiece, "Osman's Dream," is a seminal work on the Ottomans, from their origins until their disappearance. While she has also dabbled in archaeology in Ukraine, Finkel's main focus in recent times has been Evliya Celebi, the Ottoman traveler extraordinaire.
        While in the library of the American Institute in Turkey, one of many research institutes in Istanbul, Finkel came up with the idea of basing her next book on following the path of some of the great Western travelers in Anatolia ' an appropriate subject given her love of hiking. As she discussed the matter with friends, however, the work's focus gradually shifted from a trip on foot to one on horseback and from Western travelers to local ones.
        Finkel subsequently struck upon the idea of following some of the voyages of Evliya Celebi ' a sort of Ottoman Marco Polo ' from Hersek, on the on the south coast of the I.zmit Gulf, to the Aegean settlement of Kutahya. Her project was a great success, leading her to develop an Evliya Celebi Route to be added to the UNESCO World Heritage List.
        "The first thing was to find the way! Then we had to find the sponsors, and starting from the top, we discovered how distant the world of professional riders is from that of rural Turkey," Finkel said, explaining the preparations that led up to her journey. "Arab horses used to go from the Ottoman Empire to Europe; now it is the opposite, so the interest in supporting this kind of project was small. Hence we looked for help from the 'bottom,' finally finding good help from local enterprises."
        The entire group, including seven horses and riders, along with a support vehicle, set off last September, finishing the route at the beginning of November.
        "We found an active tradition of popular games played by horses in our voyage: [One was] 'cirit,' a horse sport with a sort of javelin where the riders have to hit each other and often capture the other rider's javelin while galloping," she said. A representation of cirit can be found in the Orientalists' collection at the Pera Museum in Istanbul.
        The other sport they observed was "rahvan," which involved more racing. "However this culture is endangered. Many people there are poor," Finkel said. "By riding on non-beaten routes, thanks to the horses, we were able to discover some rural realities we thought to exist only in the eastern parts of Turkey. The ride is also meant to try and help these people."
        In addition to the Celebi project, the academic is also pursuing research on the border between Ukraine and Moldova about the Akkerman Fortress, an Ottoman complex used to guard the northern trade routes to the Black Sea. "The Ottomans [sent] away the Genoese, making the Black Sea an Ottoman lake: Hence the need to fortify and control the passage to these waters," she said.
        For one month every year, Finkel works at the abandoned fortress with a team of researchers in an effort to understand how Ottomans used the structure in past centuries.
        See more: http://turkradio.us/k/evliya/

      EXCHANGE RATE

      EXCHANGE RATE for the U.S. dollar in New Turkish Liras:  1.49

      WEATHER

      High and Low Temperatures in Degrees F, Weather
      Ankara, in central Turkey----------:39/32 Snow
      Antalya, on the Mediterranean------:59/50 Showers
      Istanbul, in northwestern Turkey---:36/32 Showers
      Izmir, on the Aegean---------------:41/39 Mostly Cloudy
      Trabzon, on the Black Sea----------:52/45 Showers

      Snow depths at skiing locations:
      Erciyes, in Kayseri, Central Turkey41 inches
      Ilgaz, in Kastamonu, North Central Turkey20 inches
      Kartalkaya, in Bolu, Western Turkey59 inches
      Palandoken, in Erzurum, Eastern Turkey31 inches
      Saklikent, in Antalya, Southern Turkey- inches
      Sarikamis, in Kars, Eastern Turkey59 inches
      Uludag, in Bursa, Western Turkey43 inches

      SPORTS

      * Soccer

      * Premiere League

      * Results of the games played so far for week:
      19
      ANTALYA Sp -BE$IKTA$0 - 1
      B. $EHIR BLD. Sp-KASIMPA$A4 - 2
      DIYARBAKIR Sp-TRABZON Sp1 - 2

      * Results for week18

      FENERBAHCE -DENIZLI Sp3 - 1
      KASIMPA$A-BURSA Sp-
      ESKI$EHIR Sp- MANISA Sp1 - 0
      BE$IKTA$ -B. $EHIR BLD. Sp-
      KAYSERI Sp-G. BIRLIGI1 - 1
      ANKARAGUCU-DIYARBAKIR Sp0 - 0
      TRABZON Sp -SIVAS Sp3 - 1
      G. SARAY-G. ANTEP Sp1 - 0

      (Some games were not played due to weather)

      Standing in the league as of week ending18
      1 -FENERBAHCE40
      2 -G. SARAY39
      3 - BURSA Sp35
      4 -KAYSERI Sp 35
      5 -BE$IKTA$ 32
      6 -TRABZON Sp30
      7 -ESKI$EHIR Sp28
      8 - ANTALYA Sp27
      9 -G. BIRLIGI 27
      10 -B. $EHIR BLD. Sp26
      11 -G. ANTEP Sp24
      12 -KASIMPA$A20
      13 - DIYARBAKIR Sp19
      14 -ANKARAGUCU 18
      15 -MANISA Sp18
      16 -SIVAS Sp17
      17 - DENIZLI Sp7
      18 -ANKARA Sp 0

      ANNOUNCEMENTS

      [Saat 18:30 and 19:30 'da iki kez okuyun]

      *** The Turkish Coalition of America Summer Internship

      Application deadline has been extended to February 1, 2010.  This is a wonderful opportunity to experience Washington and its process.

      This program will provide an opportunity for Turkish American students to live and work in Washington D.C. and become exposed to U.S. governmental bodies and policy-making processes. Through this program, TCA intends to contribute to the preparation of future Turkish American political leaders and enhance the participation of the Turkish American community in American political life.

      Interns will work for 3 weeks or more between June-August 2010 in offices of Members of U.S. Congress or select governmental and non-governmental organizations. Accordingly, TCA will provide interns with a modest monthly stipend.

      Currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students in addition to recent graduates are eligible to apply for this program. Applicants must hold U.S. citizenship and submit completed application materials no later than February 1, 2010 via email to Beril Unver at bunver@.... Or go to the Turkish coalition of America web site at www.tc-america.com.

      *** On line Turkish classes:

      TurkishCampus.com

      *** This program is partially underwritten by CHIC FRENCH.

      Point your browsers to

      http://www.ChicFrench.com

      for fine European goods.

      *** Visit our eStore for your gifts:

      http://turkradio.us/estore

      Click HERE to search our eStore!

      *** Turkish American Association of California

      is a non-profit
      charitable organization established to promote better
      understanding between Americans and Turks.

      If you have any questions about Turks and Turkey,
      e-mail them from at taac@...

      *** Planning to go to Turkey?

      Take a look at our Web pages
      that are full of articles and information furnished by
      travelers like yourselves:

      http://travel.to/sunholiday

      *** For more music from Turkey and the Middle East tune to

      International Cultural Program.

      San Francisco World TV Channel 29
      Sundays at 9-10 A.M

      *** Yore dance invites you to:

      Free Turkish Folkdance Classes.

      Wednesdays, 7:30 PM at Stanford,
      Sundays 2 PM at San Francisco

      Please contact with Yore Folk Ensemble for the details.

      www.yoredance.org

      contact@...

      {20100130trh.txt}