x0x Soul Of A City

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29 6:05 PM
      x0x Soul Of A City

      by Anya Von Bremzen

      Gritty and glamorous, secular and devout, antique and up to the minute,
      Istanbul is flooded with pleasure seekers these days, and no wonder. A
      former capital of Christian and Ottoman empires, this sprawling metropolis
      has it all: history to give Rome a run for its churches and statues, water
      panoramas to rival Hong Kong's, and a many splendored cuisine all its own.
      At times, I'm swept along with everyone else into the jet-setting
      restaurants and boutiques of some newly gentrified enclave. But I also
      have my own, private Istanbul. Having fallen in love with the city over
      years of visits, I recently bought an apartment overlooking the Bosporus,
      the strait that separates Europe from Asia. I do much of my hanging out
      now in my leafy neighborhood of Cihangir, famous for its sidewalk cafs and
      fin-de-sicle apartment buildings. And off the tourist trail, I delight in
      watching the city's new gloss dissolve into a black-and-white cityscape
      veiled in hzn, a feeling defined by the novelist Orhan Pamuk as a kind of
      collective nostalgia for the vanishing, crumbling past.

      Read the full article at:

      http://www.saveur.com/article/Saveur%20Travels/Soul-Of-A-City