x0x Istanbul: Exotic city of a thousand spells

    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2009
      Turkish Culture List has sent you the following story:

      Posted on Wednesday, May. 06, 2009

      x0x Istanbul: Exotic city of a thousand spells

      By PATTI NICKELL

      If I hadn't been there, I wouldn't have believed it. Over the course of an
      evening, I watched a woman catch her hair on fire (it was quickly doused),
      a group of angels abandoning any angelic traits to get down and dirty with
      a group of devils (they turned out to be members of a bachelorette party),
      and a transvestite belly dancer cavorting on a revolving stage.

      I was in Istanbul, watching as the city's predominantly Muslim populace
      carried on as they do most nights here at Al Jamal.

      Al Jamal, a restaurant/nightclub frequented by locals and visitors alike,
      is a microcosm for Istanbul itself, a city full of contradictions. The
      first lies in its identity crisis. It is the only city in the world that
      straddles two continents, with the main business and tourism sectors in
      Europe and most of the residential areas in Asia. The struggle over
      whether it's inherently European or Asian can be seen in its two major
      palaces. The Topkapi, once the residence of sultans, is straight from "The
      Arabian Nights," and the white marble Baroque Dolmabache Palace, with its
      4-ton chandelier and luxurious gardens, is a testament to those same
      sultans' desire to introduce European savoir-faire to their Middle Eastern
      domain.

      Read more at: http://www.kansas.com/living/travel/story/801475.html