Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

x0x Art nouveau style architecture

Expand Messages
  • Turkish Culture List
    x0x Art nouveau style architecture Saturday, May 31, 2008 ISTANBUL - Turkish Daily News Art nouveau is a style of architecture that emerged in the second half
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      x0x Art nouveau style architecture

      Saturday, May 31, 2008

      ISTANBUL - Turkish Daily News

      Art nouveau is a style of architecture that
      emerged in the second half of the 19th century. It
      is characterized by the use of organic motifs,
      especially floral and other plant-inspired
      designs, as well as its highly stylized and
      flowing curvilinear forms.

      Upon its arrival in Istanbul, art nouveau was
      viewed by most as a Western tradition. Raimondo
      D'Aronco, the early 20th century Italian architect
      renowned for his art-nouveau-style building
      designs, introduced the famous European style to
      the city. In the many buildings he designed,
      D'Aronco beautifully mixed the characteristics of
      Turkish Ottoman architecture with those of art
      nouveau. This week, a jury from daily Hurriyet has
      highlighted the most beautiful examples of art
      nouveau architecture in Istanbul. Though some have
      already been restored, the rest are almost totally
      neglected, including the Vlora Han in Sirkeci and
      the Botter Apartments in Beyoglu.


      D'Aronco's masterpiece

      The first structure, located in Yildiz district in
      BesIktas, is found atop Serencebey hill. It was
      built for Sazeli Sheikh Mohammed Zafir Efendi
      during the reign of Ottoman Sultan Albulhamid II.
      The building, one of the earliest art nouveau
      works in Istanbul, is larger than the other two
      similar dervish lodges in Unkapani and Alibeykoy.
      The complex includes a mosque, a selamlik -- the
      section of a Turkish palace or house reserved for
      men, a harem -- the section of a Turkish palace or
      house reserved for women, and guest houses. The
      building's construction was completed in 1886.

      After Sheikh Zafir Efendi's death, a fountain and
      a library were added. The tomb is built in a
      square shape and has a dome and beautiful, heavily
      ornamented doors. The upper part of the towers is
      ornamented with rose patterns, as seen in
      D'Aranco's other art nouveau pieces.

      The Foundation's General Directorate restored the
      tomb in 2000.


      Once a luxurious fashion house

      The next building is a seven-storey apartment
      built in the 1890s by a foe of D'Aranco, the Dutch
      fashion designer Jean Botter, on Cadde-i Kebir, or
      Istiklal Street, in the Pera district. Its front
      is ornamented with plant motif borders and
      flowers, and with stained glass. D'Aranco designed
      all of the lighting accessories in the structure,
      which includes Botter's fashion house and the
      family's residence. Today, the Botter Apartment
      stands ruined and empty.


      Villa in Tarabya

      The summer estate of the Italian Consulate,
      located in Tarabya, is known as the Villa Tarabya,
      and is one of the magnificent waterfront mansions
      on the Bosporus. The former building on the lot
      was presented by Ottoman Sultan Abdulhamid II as a
      gift to the Princess of Montenegro, whose hand in
      marriage was sought by Italian King Vittorio
      Emanuele. In 1950, the Italian Consulate asked
      D'Aronco to build a new villa as a replacement.

      This newer mansion, with 53 rooms and halls,
      features an asymmetrical roof. The exterior walls
      are stone and brick, but the interior walls are
      wooden. The building was used by Italian diplomats
      until the 1960s. Restoration work continues
      today, as a result of extensive corrosion to the
      building's surfaces.


      Valide Pasa's waterfront mansion

      The next building, located in Bebek, was once the
      Egyptian Consulate. Though rumor has it that
      D'Aronco built the structure in 1920, Professor
      Afife Batur instead claims that it was built by an
      Austrian architect.

      Three different buildings were constructed on the
      same lot. The first was owned by Durrizade Arif
      Efendi and the second by Rauf Pasa. During the
      Tanzimat period, the Grand Vizier Ali Pasa
      purchased the premises, and the Egypt Governor
      (Hidiv), then Abbas Hilmi Pasa's mother Princess
      Emine, bought it, which is why it still bears her
      name. At the front of the building, which faces
      the shore, there are three stories, while there
      are two stories at the rear of the structure. On
      the first floor, plenty of bay windows have been
      installed. Rich in floral ornaments and rigs,
      today the building is empty and neglected.


      Once a high school, then a film set

      Located in Acibadem, at the corner of Faik Bey
      Mescidi and Genc streets, the building's first
      owner was Ahmet Ratip Pasa. Its architect was
      Kemaleddin Bey. Skilled Viennese woodcarvers have
      created beautiful engravings on all of the doors
      and windows and Bakara crystal was used on the
      handrails. The Education Ministry has owned the
      structure since the declaration of the Second
      Monarchy in 1908, and, on Dec. 13, 1914, the
      building became the Acibadem Girl's Boarding
      School. In 1922, it was a made into a secondary
      school for girls, and in 1938 it became the
      Camlica Girl's High School.

      Now the school resides next to the manor, which
      once was a film set for Hababam Sinifi.


      Immediate attention required

      The Vlora Han, or inn, is located at the corner of
      Vasif Cinar and Fincancilar Street in Sirkeci,
      right across the Big Post Office. It has lots of
      bay windows and balconies at the front. The sides
      have no balconies, but simply elegant guardrails.
      The rosebuds and floral motifs are very
      attractive. What makes this building different
      from other art nouveau works is the attention that
      has been paid to every detail.

      However, the structure is currently in very bad
      shape and needs immediate maintenance. Today
      almost all of the ornaments are covered by
      billboards and signs.


      President's summer residence

      With the look of a small palace, the Huber Corner
      is located between Tarabya and Yenikoy Street. It
      was built in the 19th century for the Huber
      brothers, representatives of the German company
      Mauser and Krupp's. After they returned to
      Germany, ownership passed to the Egyptian Princess
      Kadriye and her husband Mahmut Hayri Pasa, who
      owned it until 1932.

      The building was then donated to Notre Dame de
      Sion Girls' High School. The structure and the
      field were sold in 1973 to Bogazici Construction
      and Tourism. Publicized and assigned to the
      presidency in 1985, the premises consist of two
      connected buildings. There is no information about
      the date of construction and the architect of the
      first building, but it is said that several
      additions to the main buildings were made by
      D'aronco. Traces of the unique styles of
      different countries can be found in the building's


      Art and entertainment center

      The apartment is on one's left-hand side when one
      walks down Istiklal Street, passing from
      Galatasaray to Tunel. The building was designed by
      architect Hosvep Aznavurian in the early 1900s for
      an Egyptian, Abbas Halim Pasa. Though it was
      originally designed as a six-storey building, two
      more stories have since been added. In the past,
      the famous late Turkish poet Mehmet Akif Ersoy
      lived in the apartment. In the 1940s, it was sold
      by Halim Pasa's two daughters to Hayri Ipar.

      Today, art nouveau motifs catch the eye in this
      popular building, which includes the famous
      restaurant 360 and five art galleries.


      Famous for its historic elevator

      Sitting on the Cubuklu prairie on the Anatolian
      side of Istanbul, the Hidiv Pavilion can be found
      in a small wood. Built in 1903 by the Italian
      architect Delfo Seminati for an Egyptian, Abbas
      Hilmi Pasa, the premise is surrounded by marble
      terraces. A unique feature of the building is its
      high tower, which also boasts a historic steam
      elevator. The building is covered from floor to
      ceiling in stained glass. Neglected for a long
      time, the pavilion was restored in the 1980s by
      the Touring Automobile Association under the
      supervision of the late Celik Gulersoy. It is now
      run by the Istanbul Municipality as a restaurant
      and social facility.


      Twin waterfront mansions on the Bosporus

      Right next to the Yenikoy Pier sit the Twin
      Mansions. The southern section of the property was
      bought by Faik Kurtoglu and the northern part by
      Bekir Sitki Oyal. As a result, the property is
      known as the Faik and Bekir Bey Mansion. In the
      1960s, the new owner became Ismet Okur. These twin
      waterside mansions, consisting of a rectangular
      three-storey building, are now owned by engineer
      Adnan Unluturk and Lutfiye Kurtoglu.


      Copyright 2008, Turkish Daily News. This article
      is redistributed with permission for personal use
      of TurkC-L readers. No part of this article may be
      reproduced, further distributed or archived
      without the prior permission of the publisher.
      Contact: Turkish Daily News Online on the Internet
      World Wide Web. www.turkishdailynews.com . For
      information on other matters please contact

    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.