Announcements/Duyurular -- Sun, 21 Feb 99

  • trh@xxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 1999
      x0x Announcements/Duyurular -- Sun, 21 Feb 99

      * Talk Show on Turkey, 21 Feb. 99, Miami, Florida, USA
      * Dr. Soli Ozel on Turkey's next elections, 22 Feb. 99, Medford, MA, USA
      * Mr. A. Akyuz on Turkey and the U.S., 23 Feb. 99, Medford, MA, USA
      * "Political and Economic Agenda of Turkey", 22 Feb. 99, Boston, USA
      * Documentary on Ataturk, 21 Feb. 99, Long Beach, CA, USA
      * Turkish film: "Cholera Street", 27 Feb 99, San Jose, CA, USA
      * Competition: "Child and the Play", 01 Mar. 99, Istanbul, Turkey

      * Talk Show on Turkey, 21 Feb. 99, Miami, Florida, USA

      Dear Friends live in Miami area:

      There will be a talkshow on Turkey aired in Miami AM Radio (AM 790) between
      1:00 and 2:00 p.m. this coming Sunday. As the Vice-President of Assembly
      of Turkish American Association, I will be the guest of the program.

      If you would like to listen to the program or ask any questions, please
      tune your radios to AM channel 790 meters this coming Sunday.

      I will be joining two other meetings in Miami on Friday and Monday as the
      speaker.

      If you need more info, please contact Florida Turkish American Assocation
      board member Mrs. Gomez at (561)347-9734.

      Saglicakla,

      Vural Cengiz
      V.P., A.T.A.A.

      * Dr. Soli Ozel on Turkey's next elections, 22 Feb. 99, Medford, MA, USA

      THE FLETCHER SCHOOL OF LAW & DIPLOMACY
      Program on Southwest Asia and Islamic Studies
      in conjunction with the Program on
      Contemporary Turkish Studies present:

      "Taking the Pulse of a Fragile Democracy: What to Expect
      from Turkey's Next Elections"

      by Prof. Soli Ozel
      (Special Advisor to the Chairman, TUSIAD, USA)

      Monday, February 22, 1999
      12:00 noon
      Cabot 703-The Fletcher School
      160 Packard Avenue, Medford, MA
      Limited spaces for lecture/lunch

      Please call Gonca Sonmez-Poole at
      (978) 266-2937 for more information

      SOLI OZEL studied economics at Bennington College,
      international relations/middle east politics at
      SAIS (School of Advanced International Studies
      at John Hopkins University), and political
      sciences at UC Berkeley (University of California
      at Berkeley). He currently teaches at Istanbul's
      Bilgi University and is the special advisor to the
      chairman of TUSIAD (Turkish Industrialists' and
      Businessmen's Association). He is also the editor
      of the association's quarterly international
      journal, Private View, as well as that of the
      Turkish version of Foreign Policy. Soli also
      writes columns for various Turkish dailies,
      including the Sunday paper "Gazete Pazar".
      His article "Of Not Being A Lone Wolf" was
      published in a collection edited by Geoffrey
      Kemp and Gross Stein.

      * Mr. A. Akyuz on Turkey and the U.S., 23 Feb. 99, Medford, MA, USA

      THE FLETCHER SCHOOL OF LAW & DIPLOMACY
      Program on Southwest Asia and Islamic Studies
      in conjunction with the Program on
      Contemporary Turkish Studies present:

      "Not just another emerging market: The Crucial
      Alliance Between Turkey and the United States"

      by Mr. Abdullah Akyuz
      (Representative, TUSIAD, USA)

      Tuesday, February 23, 1999
      5:00 p.m.
      Murrow Room at the Fletcher School
      Reception to follow lecture

      Please call Gonca Sonmez-Poole at
      (978) 266-2937 for more information

      ABDULLAH AKYUZ is the first head of the Washington, DC
      office of the Turkish Industrialists' and Businessmen's
      Association (TUSIAD). Before joining TUSIAD, Mr. Akyuz
      served as Vice Chairman of the Istanbul Stock Exchange
      where he was in charge of the equity market, bonds and
      bills market, derivatives market and membership. He also
      supervised the international market and foreign
      relations. He has held numerous oteher posts, including
      the Capital Markets Board representative to the
      Financial Markets Committee of the OECD. Mr. Akyuz
      holds a MA in Economics from the University of California,
      Davis. He completed the "Functioning of International
      Capital Markets" program at the OECD and the London
      Institute of Public Administration. He is also a
      graduate of the International Securities Industry
      General Certification Program in Paris in 1992 and
      most recently of the Whartont School's "Advanced
      Management Program" at the University of Pennsylvania.

      * "Political and Economic Agenda of Turkey", 22 Feb. 99, Boston, USA

      The Turkish American Cultural Society
      of New England, Inc. (TACS)

      invites you to

      LECTURE & DISCUSSION:

      "Political & Economic Agenda of Turkey
      on the Verge of Elections"

      by

      Mr. ABDULLAH AKYUZ,
      Representative, TUSIAD, USA

      and

      Prof. SOLI OZEL,
      Special Advisor to the Chairman, TUSIAD, USA

      ***

      MONDAY, FEBRUARY 22

      6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

      Raytheon Amphitheater
      Egan Research Center
      Northeastern University, Boston
      (See below for directions)

      ***

      Special thanks to Ms.Gonca Sonmez-Poole

      ***

      For more information please send
      e-mail to tacs@...

      DIRECTIONS TO NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY:

      >From the north (via Route I-93 or Route 1)

      Take the Storrow Drive exit, and proceed to the Fenway
      exit. Follow signs for Boylston Street inbound, and bear
      right onto Westland Avenue. Turn right onto
      Massachusetts Avenue, proceed to the third traffic light,
      and turn right onto Columbus Avenue. The Northeastern
      University Parking Garage is approximately one-half mile
      ahead on your right, at 795 Columbus Avenue.

      >From the west (via Route 90, Massachusetts
      Turnpike)
      Take Exit 22 (Copley Square), and bear right. Proceed to
      the first traffic light, and turn right onto Dartmouth
      Street. Take the next right onto Columbus Avenue. The
      Northeastern University Parking Garage is approximately
      one mile ahead on your right, at 795 Columbus Avenue.

      >From the west (via Route 9)
      Proceed east on Route 9; it will become Huntington
      Avenue. Turn right onto Ruggles Street. At the third
      traffic light, turn left onto Tremont Street, take the next
      left, and then turn right onto Columbus Avenue. The
      Northeastern University Parking Garage is two blocks
      ahead on your left, at 795 Columbus Avenue.

      >From the south (via Route 3, Southeast Expressway)
      Take Exit 18 (Massachusetts Avenue), and proceed onto
      Melnea Cass Boulevard. Continue for approximately two
      miles, and turn right onto Columbus Avenue. The
      Northeastern University Parking Garage is two blocks
      ahead on your left, at 795 Columbus Avenue.

      Via public transportation
      Northeastern is accessible by subway via the Green Line
      of the MBTA. From downtown Boston, take an E train
      outbound to the Northeastern stop, the first stop above
      ground. The campus can also be reached from downtown
      via the Orange Line by taking any train going outbound to
      Forest Hills and getting off at Ruggles Station. Commuter
      rail lines connect with the Orange Line at Back Bay
      Station and North Station.

      * Documentary on Ataturk, 21 Feb. 99, Long Beach, CA, USA

      There will be a documentary film on Ataturk at Turkish School
      tomorrow February 21, 1999. Time: 11:00 AM-1:00PM by Tolga Ornek
      (Writer, Director, Co-producer). The film is 81 minutes long. Mr. Ornek
      himself will be present at the event.

      Address: School for Adults
      3701 E. Willow St.
      Long Beach, CA.

      Directions: Take 405, exit at Lakewood Blvd., turn right on Willow, pass
      one light. The school is on the right hand side after the light.

      * Turkish film: "Cholera Street", 27 Feb 99, San Jose, CA, USA

      The San Jose Film Festival 9 will feature the Turkish film "Agir Roman"
      (the title in English "Cholera Street") by director Mustafa Altioklar.

      The first screening of the film will be on 27 Feb. 99 at 12:15 P.M.
      A second screening will be held on 02 Mar. 99 at 7:15 P.M.
      Both will be at UA Pavillion Theater 201 South 2nd Street.

      For more information see http://www.cinequest.org/99/guide/cholera.html

      * Competition: "Child and the Play", 01 Mar. 99, Istanbul, Turkey

      The Istanbul Photography and Film Amateurs' Associaton (IFSAK) will have the
      winner of its "Child and the Play" black-and-white competition selected
      on 01 March 1999 at 19:30. For more information visit:

      http://www.visitweb.com/IFSAK

      A competition on the same topic involving slides will be conluded on
      03 Mar. 99

      IFSAK is located at
      Istiklal Caddesi
      Ayhan isik Sokak