x0x Turkish news for week ending 01 March 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2008
      *** Audio archives of our broadcasts are at:

      Also available for your MP3 players at:

      x0x Turkish news for week ending 01 March 2008

      [Best when viewed with the courier font.]

      A service of the TURKISH RADIO HOUR, producer of:

      Saturdays at 6:00 P.M.
      KUSF FM 90.3, San Francisco

      Also tune to

      Tuesdays at 10:00 P.M.

      Ahmet Toprak edited today's news. Your host is Merter Bozkurt

      For a subscription to the Internet edition of this news,
      send a blank email to:

      Edited by Gokce Gokalp

      * As you may have been followin on the news, the Turkish troops have
      pulled out of northern Iraq where they have been fighting the Turkish Kurd
      The underground organization of the insurgents, Kurdistan Workers Party,
      has numerous hideouts on the rugged mountains of the area. From these
      hideouts they have been carrying raids into Turkey, attacking military and
      civilian targets alike.
      Although Turkish military incursion received intelligence assistance
      from the U.S. and an initial sympathy, the U.S. administration has been
      asking the Turks to pull out from Iraqi territory.
      On Wednesday Secretary of Defense Robert Gates was in the Turkish
      capital Ankara, where he met with the Turkish officials and reiterated
      this message. However, the Turkish officials indicated that Turkey will
      not be pressured into an early withdrawal, and the troops will be brought
      back when the mission is accomplished.

      * While arguments on how long the Turkish incursion into northern Iraq
      should continue, Turkey was also on a diplomatic offensive. A foreign
      policy adviser to the Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu was
      dispatched to Baghdad.
      In Baghdad Mr. Davutoglu held meetings with Iraqi officials and told
      them that the Turkish military operations were not targeted against the
      Iraqi sovereignty.
      “US and Iraqi officials agree that the terrorist Kurdistan Workers
      Party is a common problem,” stated Mr. Davutoglu.

      * In related news, Gen. Carter Ham, director of operations for the Joint
      Chiefs of Staff, stated on Monday that the Turkish Army had no need for an
      US green light for its land operation into northern Iraq against the
      Kurdistan Workers Party.
      "The Turkish military does not ask ... nor does the United States
      military provide approval for these missions," General Ham told a Pentagon
      press briefing.
      "We have asked and the Turkish military has agreed to provide
      notification so that their operations do not come in conflict with the
      operations of the Multinational-Force Iraq inside Iraq." Gen. Ham added,
      reported the Turkish daily Hurriyet.

      * Turkey's president explained the Turkish position also. “Turkey has no
      intention of invading Iraq, as our only goal is to eliminate a threat to
      our country, stated President Abdullah Gul on Wednesday, the Turkish daily
      Star reported.
      "No country lets an illegal armed power in its territory or near its
      border," the Turkish president told a group of radio and TV reporters. "If
      the state allowed such an illegal force, then we cannot call it a state."
      He added, "Every fallen soldier we see hurts us deeply. But we would
      have seen even more if the ground operation (into northern Iraq) had been
      launched at a later date. Failure to act in a timely fashion leads to more
      Stating that Turkey will show it is determined to the very end, Mr. Gul
      stated that their intention is very clear.

      * As we have been covering in our news for the past two months, until last
      week, ladies wearing headscarves were banned from attending universities
      and colleges in Turkey.
      Although the Turkish parliament passed a constitutional amendment to
      liberalize headscarves, Turkish university presidents are resisting
      admitting students wearing headscarves. And the battle lines are drawn
      between the pro-government Board of Higher Education Chairman Yusuf Ziya
      Ozcan and the university presidents.
      The news we have been getting indicates that Mr. Ozcan is pressuring the
      university presidents, and they are fighting back. Here is the coverage of
      this from various sources:

      * Chairman Yusuf Ziya Ozcan declined an invitation to attend Thursday's
      Inter University Board meeting on Wednesday, adding that the group had no
      standing to discuss the headscarf issue.
      In a written statement, Mr. Ozcan stated that the board was meant only
      to deal with academic issues, not the headscarf issue. The Inter
      University Board, made up of all of Turkey's university presidents, held
      an extraordinary meeting in the Turkish capital Ankara Thursday morning to
      discuss constitutional changes related to the headscarf ban, according to
      the Turkish daily Cumhuriyet.

      * The Turkish daily Aksam in covering the meeting of the Inter University
      board wrote that the attending 90 university presidents called on Chairman
      Yusuf Ziya Ozcan to resign.
      A statement signed by 90 presidents and read out by board's chairman Mr.
      Mustafa Akaydin stated that Mr. Ozcan was incapable of representing
      Turkish universities.
      Instead of creating favorable conditions for university institutions to
      work cooperatively, Mr. Ozcan has erected an autocratic, centralist
      structure, the rectors indicated, and called on the Turkish president to
      remove him from office.
      In related news, the Ankara Prosecutor's Office launched a probe into
      Mr. Ozcan's statement that recent constitutional changes were sufficient
      to lift the headscarf ban at universities.
      The move by the prosecutor's office followed several official complaints
      filed against Mr. Ozcan, one by the main opposition Republican People's
      A probe can turn into an investigation only upon approval by Turkey's
      education minister Huseyin Celik.

      * On another front in the headscarf wars, the Republican People's Party
      also submitted a petition to Turkey's constitutional court on Wednesday,
      asking it to annul constitutional amendments to Articles 10 and 42
      allowing headscarved women to attend universities reported the Turkish
      daily Turkiye.
      The 58-page petition was signed by 111 deputies from the Republican
      People's party as well as the Democratic Left Party and Tunceli
      independent Deputy Kamer Genc.

      * Communist Akel Party leader Dimitris Hristofyas' win in Tuesday's
      presidential election in Southern Cyprus is expected to strengthen hopes
      for a solution to the Cyprus issue, writes the Turkish daily Sabah.
      During his campaign, Mr. Hristofyas, known to have a softer stance on
      the issue than his predecessor Tassos Papadopoulos, pledged to meet with
      the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus President Mehmet Ali Talat with an
      eye to restarting talks.
      Mr. Talat telephoned Mr. Hristofyas to congratulate him, and both
      reiterated their willingness to meet as soon as possible.
      Mr. Hristofyas is set to be the first communist president in European
      Union history, reported Sabah.

      Edited by Hilal Koc

      * A new program through the Goethe Institute, “createurope: The Fashion
      Academy Awards,” aims to demonstrate the vitality of the European
      fashion scene and help young European designers get on their feet.
      “We wanted to give a summary of the fashion career of a man who has
      already been through it,” said talented and established Turkish fashion
      designer Ümit Ünal about the show he gave at the project's launch party
      in Istanbul Tuesday evening. Ünal is also Turkey 's designer sponsor of
      the project.
      The Fashion Academy Awards are especially geared toward design students
      in their last year in fashion schools or young professionals with less
      than one year in the trade, explained Dr. Ulrich Sacker, who initiated the
      project, of the Goethe Institute, a German cultural and language
      All 27 participating countries will have kick-off events, a press
      conference here, a fashion performance there, within the next two months,
      Sacker said. “The young fashion designers register [for the competition]
      online and send their portfolios by the end of June. A European jury will
      select 30 finalists,” said Sacker. A second jury, headed by Joop!'s
      Creative Director Dirk Schönberger, will choose the four top winners in
      Winners will be chosen in four categories: The overall best young
      designer, the best avant-garde designer, the best student designer, and
      the winner of a special Galeries Lafayette. “We do not know what the
      prize will be but the Galeries Lafayette will show works by the 30
      finalists in their shop in Berlin , and possibly in Paris and Lyon,”
      said Sacker.
      For more information on deadlines and application procedures:

      * Young swimmers in Mugla's Bodrum township and from the Greek island of
      Kos will swim a “Crawl for Peace” next April. The swimmers will meet
      in the Aegean Sea in international waters to hand each other flowers and
      The swimmers have begun training, supervised by Turkish National Swim
      Team Coach Cengiz Altayli. Six swimmers from the Bodrum Municipality
      Bodrumspor Swim Team and the swimmers from Istanköy Maritime Club on Kos
      Island , five miles from Bodrum, are training for the swim.
      The activity is very important for peace and friendship, said Bodrum
      Mayor Mazlum Agan of the Republican People's Party.
      “We are holding various events in the fields of tourism, art and
      sports to contribute to and promote friendship and peace with our neighbor
      Greece . We want the Aegean Sea to be a sea of friendship. We aim to turn
      this into a traditional activity," Agan said.
      The swimmers attend training practice two hours a day, swimming four
      miles, said Altayli. “Following this event, we aim to hold competitions
      and collective training programs between the swimmers of the two
      countries. Peace in the Aegean will set an example for the whole world,”
      Altayli said.
      See more at: http://www.bodrumpages.com/English/ferries_e.html

      * The 13th Annual German-Turkish Film Festival kicked off Friday, February
      29th and will last through March 9th in the German city of Nurnberg . The
      festival strives to bring together and educate the German and Turkish
      populations in the area on cultural issues and sensitivities.
      In the ceremony’s opening gala, famed Turkish singer Zülfü Livaneli
      was also awarded the Lifetime Honor award by German Green Party’s head
      Claudia Roth. Roth described Livaneli as a “big hearted, big-thinker”
      referring to his lifelong passion for music and performance, as well as
      his personal mission to unite the German and Turkish people.
      A film which Livaneli directed, “Iron Ground, Copper Sky" was shown,
      and another film for which he wrote the screenplay, “Happiness"
      participated in the festival.
      American jazz singer Jocelyn B. Smith, who lives in Berlin, will also
      hold a concert featuring many of Livaneli’s songs.
      The festival will show a total of 60 short and long documentaries.
      See Mr. Livaneli at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K_PezfCaZI

      * Speaking of film festivals, Bay Area's own Tiburon International Film
      Festival is featuring several Turkish films this year.
      Among them are:
      Hakan Tokyay's film titled "Iran: Behind Walls", describing the role
      of the Iranian women in transforming their society. (March 16)
      Sirri Süreyya Önder and Muharrem Gülmez's "International", about a
      group of local musicians in eastern Turkey. The martial law commander of
      the region tries to create a "modern orchestra" with these street
      musicians and a set of tragicomic events start. (March 17)
      Abdullah Oguz's film titled "Bliss" about a 17-year-old girls conflicts with local traditions, and a professor's involvement in it. (March 20)
      The festival will start on Thursday March 13th.
      For detailed information about these films checked the Web pages of the
      festival at: HTTP://www.TiburonFilmFestival.com
      As we did in the past years, we will be giving away tickets to these
      films. Stay tuned.

      EXCHANGE RATE for the U.S. dollar in Turkish Liras: 1.2

      High and Low Temperatures in Degrees F, Weather

      Ankara, in central Turkey----------: 61/32 Foggy
      Antalya, on the Mediterranean------: 64/48 Decreasing Cloudiness
      Istanbul, in northwestern Turkey---: 63/45 Mostly Cloudy
      Izmir, on the Aegean---------------: 66/48 Partly cloudy
      Trabzon, on the Black Sea----------: 59/43 Partly cloudy

      Snow depths at skiing locations:

      Davraz, in Isparta , South Central Turkey 47 inches
      Erciyes, in Kayseri, Central Turkey 41 inches
      Ilgaz, in Kastamonu, North Central Turkey 91 inches
      Kartalkaya, in Bolu, Western Turkey 108 inches
      Palandoken, in Erzurum, Eastern Turkey 14 inches
      Sarikamis, in Kars, Eastern Turkey 26 inches
      Uludag, in Bursa, Western Turkey 65 inches

      By Mark Nowak

      * Turkish Premiere League

      P Mx Tie * G W D L F A
      1 Galatasaray 51 84 * 23 15 6 2 46 18
      2 Fenerbahçe 50 83 * 23 15 5 3 48 25
      3 Beþiktaþ 49 82 * 23 15 4 4 36 23
      4 Sivasspor 48 81 * 23 15 3 5 34 17
      5 Kayseri 44 77 * 23 12 8 3 38 18
      6 Trabzonspor 32 62 * 24 9 5 10 33 30
      7 Denizlispor 29 62 * 23 8 5 10 29 30
      8 Konyaspor 28 58 6 2-0 * 24 8 4 12 27 44
      9 Gençlerbirliði OFTAÞ 28 61 3 2-2 * 23 7 7 9 24 25
      10 MKE Ankaragücü 28 61 0 1-3 * 23 7 7 9 23 31
      11 Bursaspor 27 60 6 5-2 * 23 6 9 8 24 26
      12 Gençlerbirliði 27 60 0 2-5 * 23 7 6 10 34 33
      13 Gaziantepspor 26 59 * 23 7 5 11 26 36
      14 Ýstanbul BB 25 58 * 23 6 7 10 29 32
      15 Ankaraspor 23 56 * 23 5 8 10 23 29
      16 ÇAYKUR Rize 22 55 * 23 6 4 13 24 46
      17 VESTEL Manisa 21 54 * 23 5 6 12 32 43
      18 Kasýmpaþa 15 48 * 23 4 3 16 17 41

      Week 23 results

      Denizlispor 1-2 Beþiktaþ
      Gaziantepspor 1-1 Gençlerbirliði OFTAÞ
      Gençlerbirliði 6-1 Konyaspor
      Fenerbahçe 0-2 Bursaspor
      Ankaraspor 0-3 Kayseri
      Ýstanbul BB 1-2 MKE Ankaragücü
      Sivasspor 0-0 ÇAYKUR Rize
      Trabzonspor 2-2 VESTEL Manisa
      Galatasaray 0-1 Kasýmpaþa

      * Turkish Mens'Basketball

      1. Besiktas 16-5
      2. Efes P. 16-5
      3. Galatasaray 15-6
      4. Antalya 14-7
      5. Fenerbahce 14-7
      6. T.Telekom 14-7
      7. Karsiyaka 13-8
      8. Kepez Bld 10-11
      9. Mersin 9-12
      10. Banvitspor 9-12
      11. Alpella 8-13
      12. Selcuk Uni. 7-14
      13. TED Koleji 7-14
      14. Oyak Renault 6-15
      15. Beykoz 6-15
      16. Darussafaka 4-17

      *** Turkish American Association of California is a non-profit
      charitable organization established to promote better
      understanding between Americans and Turks.

      If you have any questions about Turks and Turkey,
      e-mail them at taac@...

      *** Planning to go to Turkey? Take a look at our Web pages
      that are full of articles and information furnished by
      travelers like yourselves:

      *** For more music from Turkey and the Middle East tune to
      International Cultural Program.

      San Francisco World TV Channel 29
      Sundays at 9-10 A.M.