3Devlet Dirik, a breath of fresh air

  • TurkC-L
    Aug 14, 1998
      Devlet Dirik, a breath of fresh air

      'My aim in life is to maintain a perfect
      balance, and I feel I can maintain that
      through my paintings. My only reference point
      is to examine if I can maintain diversity
      within wholeness or wholeness within
      diversity'
      Devlet Dirik does not wish to categorize her
      work into any style because she believes
      that the aim of an artist should be to develop
      his or her own style

      Nelleke M.v.d.Schoor-Basar

      Even though it is a long way until the gallery
      season opens in Ankara, it is still possible to find
      some small showrooms presenting the work of
      up-and-coming artists. One of these is the OM-MAR
      showroom, which is currently presenting some of
      the works of Devlet Dirik.

      Dirik, who lives in Malaga, Spain, was born in 1968
      in Menemen, Izmir. After graduating from Ankara
      College (TED) she entered Middle East Technical
      University (METU), where she graduated in 1993
      from the Physics Faculty.

      Even as a child Dirik was interested in painting and
      during her university years she took drawing
      classes at the State Fine Arts Museum and attended
      classes given at METU by Yalcin Gokcebag. In
      addition, she studied with Nusret Karaca, and upon
      her graduation from METU spent one year studying
      at the Restoration Department of Ankara
      University.

      In 1993 she opened her own workshop, where she
      continued to work until 1996, the year she went to
      Spain.

      Dirik explained that she does not wish to
      categorize her work into any style because she
      believes that the aim of an artist should be to
      develop his or her own style.

      "What is my style? In summary, it's a style that
      studies the object-environment relationship --
      despite having a figurative appearance --
      emphasizes the color scheme and takes equal
      advantage from both the texture and the shape,"
      Dirvat explains.

      "Usually, there are visual objects available in the
      environment in which artists live that give them
      inspiration -- you may also call them the items
      that interest the artist. They are usually the kind
      of items and objects that most people do not take
      any notice of. My aim is to capture these items that
      are left on the side and interpret their physical
      relationship with one another, and, while doing
      that, try to accent a unique approach and
      expression. The mission I try to accomplish is to
      discover certain items and values using a creative,
      artistic approach which I believe has been
      neglected," she continues.

      "My aim in life is to maintain a perfect balance, and
      I feel I can maintain that through my paintings. My
      only reference point is to examine if I can maintain
      diversity within wholeness or wholeness within
      diversity."

      A great admirer of Pablo Picasso, Dirik finally had
      her fondest wish come true when she was able to
      move to and live in Malaga, Spain, the birthplace of
      Picasso. She is in her fourth year of a five-year
      course at the State San Telmo Plastic Arts School.

      Dirik has exhibited on an international level on two
      occasions, sharing the exhibitions with three other
      painters. Her current works can be viewed at
      OM-Mar Showroom, Farabi Sk. 3/1 in Cankaya.

      Copyright 1997, Turkish Daily News. This article is redistributed with
      permission for personal use of TRKNWS-L readers. No part of this article
      may be reproduced, further distributed or archived without the prior
      permission of the publisher. Contact: Turkish Daily News Online on the
      Internet World Wide Web.

      For information on other matters please contact hk11 at tdn1.com