2004x0x We Dined Like Sultans Inside An Ottoman Palace In Istanbul

  • T.R.H.
    Mar 27, 2013
      x0x We Dined Like Sultans Inside An Ottoman Palace In Istanbul

      We Dined Like Sultans Inside An Ottoman Palace In Istanbul

      By Jennifer Polland

      http://www.TurkRadio.us

      We opted to start with the mezze platter Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/dinner-at-tugra-at-the-ciragan-palace-in-istanbul-2012-10?op=1#ixzz2OhPq2RWP

      The Ciragan Palace, on the Bosphorus in Istanbul, has undergone many transformations. It was first built as a waterfront villa by Grand Vizier Ibrahim Pasha in 1719 as a way to escape the stifling summer heat of the city. Throughout the 1800s, several sultans built and rebuilt the palace to their own tastes. In 1909, the palace became the Turkish parliament building, but just one year later it was destroyed by fire.

      After that point, the Ciragan Palace sat neglected for years, mis-used as military barracks by the French and as a soccer field by the Besiktas Football team.

      But some time in the mid-1900s, the Turkish government began to take back and restore its historic sites, including the Ciragan Palace. Restoration work on the once-glorious palace began in the 1980s, and in 1991, the palace re-opened its doors as a luxurious hotel, the  Ciragan Palace Kempinski, managed by the high-end Kempinski hotel brand.

      Today, the hotel consists of the historic palace (home to 11 opulent suites and a fine-dining restaurant, Tugra) and an adjoining modern hotel. You can actually sleep in the old palace—if you can afford the price tag of several thousand euros per night. If not, though, you can still enjoy the palace by visiting for a meal in the award-winning Tugra restaurant.

      Read the rest at http://www.businessinsider.com/dinner-at-tugra-at-the-ciragan-palace-in-istanbul-2012-10