1726x0x Turkish News for the week ending 02 October 2010

    Oct 8, 2010
      Turkish News for the week ending 02 October 2010

      {20101002trh.txt}

      x0x Turkish News for the week ending 02 October 2010
      [This is a transcript of the news broadcast on 02 October 2010]

      Courtesy of Turkish Radio Hour, producer of the
      TURKISH CULTURAL PROGRAM, every Saturday from 6 PM to 8 PM
      on KUSF FM 90.3, San Francisco

      You can also listen live from a link on the web site: http://turkradio.us/

      Also tune to KKUP FM 91.5, Cupertino to hear the
      ORIENT EXPRESS every Tuesday at 10 PM

      Audio archives of our radio broadcasts are at: http://www.TurkRadio.us/ar/

      Also available as podcasts for your MP3 players at: http://turkradio.podomatic.com/

      Ahmet Toprak is the editor-in-chief. Your broadcast host is Ahmet Toprak.

      If you wish to subscribe to the Internet edition of this news, send a blank email to:
      TurkC-L-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      [Uzun Internet adreslerini radyoda okumayin, $u duyuruyu yapin "Look at the news section of our website for more details. www.Turkradio.us".]

      NEWS

      Edited by Bilgin Atalay

      * A new constitution will be among the key focuses of Turkish Parliament's new legislative year, the September 12 referendum, judicial reform and the human right's issue, reports the Hurriyet Daily News. The new year began Friday with an opening speech by President Abdullah Gul that talked about democracy.
        As we reported to you in the previous weeks, the goverment's proposal for amendments to the constitution was accepted by 58% of the votes on the September 12 nation-wide referandum.
        A new constitution has to be prepared that is "plural, democratic and civil," while meeting the needs and demands of every segment of society, the president said, adding that he hoped the new term would lay the ground "for the new constitution discussions."
        Mr. Gul said Turkey's aim to become a European Union member is a "strategic choice based on history," adding that he will not repeat his criticism of the European Union since he has voiced it before on several occasions.
        "I want to focus on what we should do," the president told lawmakers. "We must continue to work toward our target without pessimism or fatigue and to realize all the reforms that will benefit our country and our nation."
         "You are the best to know how the many reforms we have made so far have created advantages for our country," Gul told the deputies.

      * According to the Hurriyet Daily News, amid worsening U.S.-Turkish relations, mainly over rifts from Iran and Israel, the United States has not had an ambassador in the Turkish capital Ankara since late July, and this situation will remain for at least another seven weeks. The last stumbling block is in the peculiarities in the rules under which the U.S. Congress works.
        The last U.S. ambassador to Ankara, James Jeffrey, has been appointed to Baghdad, but his planned successor Frank Ricciardone still has not won confirmation by the Senate, Congress' upper chamber. Under U.S. law, all senior administration officials, including ambassadors, have to be approved by the Senate.

      * The United States on Friday signaled for the first time that Nabucco is its preferred planned natural gas pipeline among the project's other rivals, reports the Hurriyet Daily News.
        "We made it clear that we support the Southern Corridor. We also made it clear that the Nabucco pipeline is preferable strategically and politically. It will be hard to answer whether these projects will be complementary or competitive since the initial gas is coming from the Caspian," Richard Morningstar, special envoy of the United States Secretary of State for Eurasian Energy, told a small of journalists in Istanbul.
        The U.S. has been a strong supporter of the Nabucco pipeline project, planned to be built from Turkey to Austria and to transport 31 billion cubic meters of natural gas. The U.S. goal is to take away the Russian monopoly on gas delivered to Western Europe.
        See more at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabucco_pipeline

      * While Turkey's European Union negotiator praised the country's economy as "one of the world's biggest," experts and academics urged Turkey to also focus on promoting human rights and free expression at a panel marking the fifth anniversary of Turkey's European Union bid, reports the Hurriyet Daily News.
        Mr. Egemen BaGI$, the state minister and chief negotiator for Turkey's European Union accession, said that Europe was interested in Turkey economically as the country provided a large market for European goods, played an important role as a bridge for energy transportation from the Middle East and had an ever-increasing role in the regional and international political arena.
        However Nathalie Tocci, the European Union and neighborhood director at the Istituto Affari Internazionali, said that Turkey's European Union perspectives lay not only in interest-based logic such as foreign policy, economic and energy affairs where both parties' benefits outweigh the costs for Turkey to join the European Union. "The European Union is also a rights-based entity, which aims not only to protect human rights and freedoms within its borders but also extend respect for them to its neighboring countries as well," Tocci said.

      * Turkey is a key player in the United States' continued military withdrawal from Iraq and its push for Israeli-Palestinian negotiations, a former U.S. national security adviser has said, calling for close cooperation with Turkey.
        "We need Turkey as the withdrawal process [from Iraq] continues," Brent Scowcroft, the national security adviser for U.S. presidents Gerald Ford and George W. Bush, told the Hurriyet Daily News & Economic Review on Thursday. "I think we need to stay, hopefully until the Iraqis can agree on a government."
        Despite Iraq's political deadlock, Barack Obama's administration has withdrawn most U.S. troops from that country.
        "We need to work together to try to make Iraq an important stable element in a very difficult region," Mr. Scowcroft, told the Daily News on the sidelines of the Atlantic Council's Black Sea Energy and Economic Forum in Istanbul.

      * A minor infected with AIDS from a blood transfusion has won a record amount of compensation following a ruling by the European Court of Human Rights, Turkish daily Sabah reported Friday.
        Y.O., who was born prematurely in the Aegean province of Izmir in 1996, needed a blood transfusion shortly after his birth.
        The blood provided to Y.O. from the Red Crescent was HIV positive, and infected the newborn with AIDS.
        The family sued the Red Crescent, and won $24,500 in compensation, which increased to $42,000 with interest by 1998.
        When Y.O. reached the age of 12, the European court sentenced Turkey for delaying the domestic legal process, and ruled that 378,000 euros be given in compensation, totaling $665,000 with interest.

      * A rooted tradition in which two families exchange daughters to be brides for their sons, called "berdel," caused a young girl to hang herself in the southeastern province of Gaziantep, Turkish daily Star reported Friday.
        Emine A., 22, had been promised to marry Fethi T. while her brother was to marry Fethi T.'s sister, Naime T.
        During the wedding preparations, the families of the couples had an argument and decided to break the "berdel" deal. Emine A. was allegedly depressed over the tension between two families and hanged herself from a rope from the ceiling of her family's home.

      * Construction machinery en route to Tunceli's Munzur province was stopped by hundreds of protesters, daily Radikal reported Thursday.
        The drilling machinery was planning to be used to construct a dam in an area located on both a national park for housing endemic plant life, and a sacred ground for Alevis, a moslem religious sect.
        The Munzur Mountains, home to 1,518 species of plants, 50 of which are endemic, are considered a "special plant zone."

      * According to the Hurriyet Daily News, SabancI Holding's Chairperson Guler SabancI ranked 7th in the "50 Most Powerful Women of the World" list published by Fortune magazine.
        The magazine pointed out that SabancI managed over 30 companies with revenues of nearly $12.2 billion. SabancI was ranked fifth in the Financial Times' list of the same title.

      ARTS AND CULTURE

      Edited by Anita Dobohoe

      * The 8th Turkish Festival will take place in Washington, DC, according to the Anatolia News Agency. The festival is scheduled for Sunday, October 3, 2010 on Pennsylvania Ave NW, between 12th and 14th St.
        The Turkish Festival is organized by the American-Turkish Association of Washington, DC, and is expected to host 20,000 visitors.
        In addition to Turkish music and dance shows, Turkish culture and cuisine will be introduced during the festival.
        Turks will try to enter the Guinness Book of Records with the longest shish kebab in the world. A six-meter-long shish kebab will be cooked during the festival.
        Full story: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * The Hurriyet Daily News announces the musical "Chicago," one of the world's most famous musicals, is coming to Turkey. There will be 13 shows at Istanbul's TiM Maslak Show Center between Oct. 1 and 10.
        Istanbul's TiM Show Center, which opened in November 2005, has been working to bring the musical to Turkey since then.
        Full story: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * Beginning this month, the Antalya State Opera and Ballet will perform for students attending 31 schools in the Mediterranean city of Antalya and surrounding villages. The students will hear classical music compositions, operas and arias.
        Antalya State Opera and Ballet Director Nilay Genc said in previous years they had hosted students from different schools in their hall. "Unfortunately, there are still students who were not able to come to our shows, and even those who do not know about the existence of this art.
        "The main purpose of this project is to reach children who are living and studying in the remote parts of the city and do not have the social and economic opportunities to experience the art of opera and ballet. The first stage of the project is to reach out to these schools and let them experience this visual feast. And later on, we will host them in our hall."
        Full story: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * Turkish Daily Radikal reports that the children of Haciahmet neighborhood are a striking example of the education in the mother-tongue problem. Haciahmet is next to Istanbul Bilgi University's Dolapdere campus. The families have migrated from Southeast Turkey.
        The Haciahmet neighborhood, extending toward Istanbul's OkmeydanI district, was established due to forced migration after the 1990s "village burning" events in the Southeast. The population, mainly composed of Kurdish families migrated from Mardin, Batman, Siirt and DiyarbakIr, lives in poverty. People living in this neighborhood have mingled with each other and speak Kurdish as "the neighborhood language" in the markets, the bazaars and among themselves.
        The discussion of education in one's mother tongue has brought hope to these families. Families point to the grief that their children experience due to the gap between the two worlds and say their children would be more successful with access to Kurdish-language education.
        Full story: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * Back for a 21st year, Turkey's longest running blues event, the Efes Pilsen Blues Festival, will be on tour throughout the country from Oct. 1 to Nov. 6, featuring some legendary names from the genre. Performers including Kenny Neal, Mitch Woods & his Rocket and Samuel James will cook up a storm of blues with 24 concerts across 20 provinces.
        Further information is available at www.efesblues.com and http://twitter.com/efesbluesfest.
        Full story: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

      * Sotheby's of London will have a Turkish and Islamic Art auction on Tuesday 5 and Wednesday 6 October 2010.

      EXCHANGE RATE

      EXCHANGE RATE for the U.S. dollar in New Turkish Liras: 1.44

      WEATHER

      High and Low Temperatures in Degrees F, Weather

      Ankara, in central Turkey:75/52 Partly Cloudy

      Antalya, on the Mediterranean:84/68 Mostly Sunny

      Istanbul, in northwestern Turkey:72/61 Partly Cloudy

      Izmir, on the Aegean:81/63 Partly Cloudy

      Van, in Eastern Turkey68/48 Thunderstorms

      Trabzon, on the Black Sea:68/48 Partly Cloudy

      Seawater temperatures

      Black Sea measured at Trabzon 75

      Marmara Sea measured at Tekirdag 72

      Aegean Sea measured at Izmir 77

      Mediterranean Sea measured at Antalya 81

      SOCCER

      Premiere League

      * Results for week:5
      Bursa Sp-Buca Sp.1 - 0
      G. Birligi-Ankaragucu1 - 0
      Be$iKta$-Antalya Sp.2 - 1
      Eski$ehir Sp-G. Antep Sp0 - 1
      Kayseri Sp-Trabzon Sp0 - 0
      Konya Sp.-Karabuk Sp.2 - 2
      Manisa Sp-Sivas Sp3 - 0
      G. Saray-B. $ehir Bld. Sp3 - 1
      Kasimpa$a-Fenerbahce2 - 6

      In games played so far this weekend:6

      Karabuk Sp.-G. Saray2 - 1
      Buca Sp.-Eski$ehir Sp0 - 0
      Manisa Sp-Kayseri Sp0 - 2
      Fenerbahce-G. Birligi3 - 0
      Ankaragucu-Konya Sp.4 - 1

      [Saat 18:30 and 19:30 'da iki kez okuyun]

      *** San Francisco international flute festival is featuring
      Turkish flautist B├╝lent Evcil this year

      We will be giving away of tickets to the gala with a drawing. Call us when we are at the studio and leave your name, number and email.

      When:  October 10, 2010  8 AM - 7:30 P.M. (gala concert begins at 4:30)
      Price:   Concert only $35   Full Day pass $60
      Where:  Bach Dancing and Dynamite Society, 311 Mirada Road, Half Moon Bay, CA
      Web sitewww.SFFluteFestival.com     www.bulentevcil.com

      *** September 12th, the new academic year at the Bay Area Turkish Community School started.

      You can still enroll your children!

      The Bay Area Turkish Community School (BATCS) was
      founded by the Turkish-American community living in the San Francisco Bay Area
      in 1989. The objectives of BATCS are:

      • To improve the Turkish speaking, reading, writing and comprehension skills of children ages between 5-12.
      • To teach Turkish culture, values, traditions and history.
      The classes are also mixed with fun activities for children such as meeting new
      friends, learning new games and songs, and going to field trips. Special
      programs, including audio-visual presentations and Bayram potlucks, celebrate
      national and religious holidays.

      LOCATION

      Hillview Community Center, Room 16
      97 Hillview Avenue
      Los Altos, CA 94022

      TIME

      10:30am-12:30pm

      If you would like to volunteer as a teacher send an email to:  batc-abc@yahoogroups.com

      *** On line Turkish classes:

      TurkishCampus.com

      *** This program is partially underwritten by CHIC FRENCH.

      Point your browsers to

      www.ChicFrench.com

      for fine European goods.

      *** Visit our eStore for your gifts:

      turkradio.us/estore

      for items from Turkey.

      Click HERE to search our eStore!

      We now have Turkish films that you can download

      *** Turkish American Association of California

      is a non-profit
      charitable organization established to promote better
      understanding between Americans and Turks.

      If you have any questions about Turks and Turkey,
      e-mail them at taac@...

      *** Planning to go to Turkey?

      Take a look at our Web pages
      that are full of articles and information furnished by
      travelers like yourselves:

      travel.to/sunholiday

      *** For more music from Turkey and the Middle East tune to

      International Cultural Program.

      San Francisco World TV Channel 29
      Sundays at 9-10 A.M

      *** Yore dance invites you to:

      Free Turkish Folkdance Classes.

      Thursdays, 7:30 PM at Stanford,
      Sundays 2 PM at San Francisco

      Please contact with Yore Folk Ensemble for the details.

      Sundays 2 PM Regular Practice Location:
      Alonzo King LINES Dance Center;
      26 Seventh Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103
      Program:
      2:00 PM Warm up
      2:20 PM Teke
      4:00 PM Trakya
      4:30 PM Black Sea
      5:00-PM Stretch
      TELL YOUR FRIENDS who might be interested joining our group.

      Yore Folk Ensemble

      *** Azerbaijani Turkish language classes

      Check wıth the ACSNC center web pages for dates and tımes: http://acsnc.org/
      All are welcome to attend and learn more about the rich and beautiful Azeri tongue.

      Address:

      16400 Lark Ave. Ste # 260
      Los Gatos, CA 95032

      {20101002trh.txt}