1710x0x Turkish News for the week ending 03 July 2010

    Jul 4, 2010
      Turkish News for the week ending 03 July 2010 {20100703rh.txt}

      If you are not able to see our news properly, please click on the following link: http://turkradio.us/1/20100703trh.html

      x0x Turkish News for the week ending 03 July 2010
      [This is a transcript of the news broadcast on 03 July 2010]

      Courtesy of Turkish Radio Hour, producer of the
      TURKISH CULTURAL PROGRAM, every Saturday from 6 PM to 8 PM
      on KUSF FM 90.3, San Francisco

      You can also listen live from a link on the web site: http://turkradio.us/

      Also tune to KKUP FM 91.5, Cupertino to hear the
      ORIENT EXPRESS every Tuesday at 10 PM

      Audio archives of our radio broadcasts are at: http://www.TurkRadio.us/ar/

      Also available as podcasts for your MP3 players at: http://turkradio.podomatic.com/

      Ahmet Toprak is the editor-in-chief. Your broadcast host is Merter Bozkurt.

      If you wish to subscribe to the Internet edition of this news, send a blank email to:
      TurkC-L-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      NEWS

      * As we have brought to you in our news over the past few weeks, on May 31st an Israeli commando raid on a Turkish lead flotilla to bring aid to Gaza resulted in the deaths of nine Turks.
        The Israeli-Turkish relations went down hill since then, with Turkey recalling its ambassador from Israel.
        However, it came to the open that Turkish and Israeli ministers met secretly this week to mend their deteriorating relations.
        An editorial article in the Christian Science Monitor wrote that "perhaps leaders in Israel and Turkey are beginning to realize the dire consequences of burying their important relationship over the unfortunate incident with the Gaza flotilla."

      * According to the Anatolia News Agency, Israel's Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said Friday that Israel would not apologize to Turkey for the Israeli raid.
        The Israeli Prime Minister was speaking to the Israeli public television.
        Mr. Netanyahu also ruled out any compensation for the victims.
        Despite Mr. Netanyahu's pronouncements that there will be no apology, the Israeli paper Ha'aretz claimed that in the two ministers' meeting we mentioned earlier, they tried to hammer out an acceptable version of the apology Turkey is demanding from Israel, as well as agree on compensation.
        Ha'aretz was quoting Turkish sources.

      * Speaking of the aid that the flotilla was trying to deliver to Gaza, the New York Times reports that one month after Israeli raid, the ships’ cargo has begun to arrive there by land, starting Wednesday with 82 second-hand battery-powered scooters for the handicapped.
        The cargo has been sitting in Israel for weeks while the Hamas authorities, the Israeli military and international aid agencies negotiated its fate, the New York Times writes.
        The 128 trucks carrying the cargo into Gaza was watched by American Middle East envoy George Mitchell from the Israeli side.

      * According to the Turkish daily Turkiye, Chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mullen says that Turkish U.S. relations remain very strong.
        Adm. Michael Mullen earlier this week stressed the importance of maintaining these ties in the long term despite ups and downs
        Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the Aspen Security Forum on Monday, in remarks posted on the Defense Department website, Admiral Mullen called Turkey an ally of key importance. "I have a very strong relationship with my counterpart (Chief of General Staff Gen. Ilker Basbug), very strong relationship throughout the military with Turkey," he said.
        Asked whether Turks feel rejected by Europe and so are moving closer to the Muslim world, Admiral Mullen said, "I don't know. That's up to, obviously, Prime Minister Erdogan and the political leadership, and quite frankly, the people of Turkey ... We've had a very strong relationship for a long, long time. And I think ... we need to work our way through that and sustain that relationship."
        Admiral Mullen added, "They're a member of a critical alliance for us, with NATO. And they also reside, physically, in a very, very important part (of the world), strategically. So ... exactly where they're going, it's a little bit difficult for me to figure out."

      * UPI reports that Turkey is worried about the oil tankers passing through the Turkish straits.
        The Turkish energy minister told oil executives in Istanbul that the volume of oil and petroleum products passing through the straits would fill up three crude oil pipelines.
        The Turkish straits, especially the Bosporus, is heavily populated on both sides.
        The Turkish government is encouraging the building of pipelines such as the one from the Black Sea Province of Samsun to the Mediterranean port of Ceyhan to reduce the number of tankers going through the straits.

      * According to the Associated Press, Turkish warplanes once again bombed Kurdish rebel bases in northern Iraq on Thursday and Friday.
        The bombings came after clashes with the rebels which claimed 17 lives.
        As we have reported to you in the past weeks, Kurdish rebels say that they will no longer observe a self-declared cease-fire and they have stepped up their attacks in Turkey.
        The Kurdistan Workers Party, the underground organization of the rebels, is on a list of terrorist organizations in the U.S., European Union and Turkey.

      * According to the Turkish daily Milliyet, Turkey's urgings that  the U.S. and the regional administration in northern Iraq to take more concrete steps against the Kurdistan Workers Party has started to pay off.
        Turkish, US and Iraqi officials met in Turkey's southeastern Silopi Township on Thursday to discuss joint measures against the terrorist group, the paper writes.
        Turkey asked for active intelligence support from the northern Iraqi regional administration, which recently began to block the Kurdistan Workers Party operatives from moving back and forth between Europe and Kandil, northern Iraq, where it has bases.
        In related news, in a major operation, Syrian security forces on Thursday arrested as many as 400 Kurdistan Workers Party members and supporters in the country. Syria  has enjoyed stronger ties with Turkey in recent years.
        Some decades ago Syria was the host to the rebel leader until Turkey threatened invasion in 1999.

      * The Bianet WebSite reports that feminists from 22 countries met in Istanbul this week.
        The women who participated in the meeting issued the following statements on June 30th:
        "The measures taken against the economic crisis in Europe affect most of all women. Basic public services are being privatized. They are trying to compensate this situation by putting women back home as housewives without payment.
        "This leaves women more dependent on their families and husbands. While violence in on the rise, the social fields for women are narrowing.
        "But we as women will not surrender our gained rights to capitalism. We are not going to fall back into our traditional roles, we will not stay at home".

      * According to the Wall Street Journal, Turkey's economy grew by 11.7% in the first quarter compared with a year earlier, underlining a robust recovery unharmed so far by growing economic woes in the European Union, Turkey's biggest export market.
        Economists say the growth figures underscored that the outlook for Turkey, whose tightly regulated banks escaped the worst of the recent financial crisis, remains among the best in the region.

      ARTS AND CULTURE

      Edited by Carol Dean

      * According to the Anatolia News Agency, a special train dubbed the Balkan Express departed on Tuesday from the Turkish capital Ankara for a 50-day trip to 22 cities in nine Balkan countries . The train is initiated jointly by Turkey 's state-run broadcaster TRT and Turkish State Railways.
        During its 50-day journey, the train will stop by Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia , Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia and Greece. Around 40 people, including a TRT television crew, will be travelling on board the train. TRT crew will produce live broadcasts from these destinations for TRT shows.
        Speaking at the ceremony, Turkish Transportation Minister Binali Yildirim described the Balkan Express as a cultural envoy and said it set off in a bid to make known hidden beauties and riches of the Balkans.
        "This train has been launched to ease the pain of separation and unearth our common cultural values with Balkan nations," Mr. Yildirim said.
        See more at http://www.cumhuriyet.com/

      * According to legend, the 4,000-year-old Giresun Island was used as a base by female Amazon warriors and for generations has been the site of festivities celebrating "Mayis Yedisi" (May 7), the symbol of spring's coming. Now the island is set to become the subject of a film, reports the Anatolia News Agency.
        The film, which is to be directed by Nur Dolay, will portray the burdens facing the women of the Black Sea , as well as the "strong" women figures that challenge traditional stereotypes thanks to the traditions of the Amazonians.
        Ms. Dolay, who came to the Black Sea city of Giresun for the release of her film "Off Karadeniz" along with starring French actress Melissa Papel, said that the history and culture of the Giresun Island area is very interesting to her.
        Ms. Dolay said in her film "Off Karadeniz" she presented the position of women in society. "The Black Sea region has women who are overwhelmed by heavy burdens on the one hand, and strong women who challenge everything on the other. I want to create an interesting project that includes traditions from the 4,000-year-old festival."
        Ms. Dolay said preliminary work for the film would be completed within six months, and locations for filming would be determine during this time. She said the film would be finished in a year.
        See more at http://hurriyetdailynews.com/
        More on the island at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giresun_Island
         To see more views of the island click on the image.

      * "The Awakening," a play by Turkish storyteller Yakup Almelek, will be performed in Broadway on July 7. The play will be staged by American theater director Annie Ward with an artistic team of 17 people.
        The play features the story of Ayla, who has lived half of her life as an outsider after blaming herself for a tragic accident at sea. She had never been free from the effects of the trauma until she started working at a clinic and getting to know the people there.
        As Ayla's story unfolds, it's impossible not to root for this endearing heroine. The play reveals the lighter side of despair and self-doubt while satirizing what it means to grow up.
        One of Mr. Almelek's short stories has been turned into a film and his plays "The Businessman" and "The Governess" have been staged in Turkey . "The Businessman," directed by Ward, was produced in New York City in October 2009 to sold-out audiences.
        "The Awakening" will have evening performances from Wednesdays to Saturdays at 8 p.m., and matinees on Sundays at 3 p.m.
        The play will be staged at Theater Three, 311 West 43rd Street, New York City.

      * According to the Hurriyet Daily News, the First International Istanbul Opera Festival, organized by Turkey's directorate general of state opera and ballet as an Istanbul 2010 European Capital of Culture project, began Friday and will continue through July 23.
        The four-week festival is hosting eight opera productions in a total of 18 performances. Besides productions from Ankara, Istanbul, Izmir, Antalya and the Samsun State Opera and Ballet, the world’s most important and prestigious institutions such as Deutsche Oper Berlin and Bremen Opera will also perform.

      * Hilton Istanbul, the first five-star hotel in Turkey, is celebrating its half-century anniversary this year, reports the Dogan News Agency.
        The hotel, the oldest operating Hilton International outside the United States celebrated its golden anniversary with an astonishing gala night on Wednesday attended by high-profile guests from around the world.
        Armin Zerunyan, regional director of Hilton Istanbul, said the founder of Hilton Worldwide, Conrad Hilton, made a field trip to Europe, looking to build the first Hilton to operate outside of United States, finally deciding on Turkey in the early 1950s.
        Some say that the Hungarian born Zsa Zsa Gabor suggested Istanbul to Conrad Hilton. They were married from 1942 to 1947. Zsa Zsa Gabor lived in Turkey when she was earlier married to the Turkish diplomat Burhan Asaf Belge.

      Click on image to see a larger view.

      EXCHANGE RATE

      EXCHANGE RATE for the U.S. dollar in New Turkish Liras: 1.56

      WEATHER

      High and Low Temperatures in Degrees F, Weather

      Ankara, in central Turkey:86/61 Mostly Sunny

      Antalya, on the Mediterranean:90/72 Mostly Sunny

      Istanbul, in northwestern Turkey:82/68 Sleet

      Izmir, on the Aegean:97/73 Mostly Sunny

      Van, in Eastern Turkey86/55 Mostly Sunny

      Trabzon, on the Black Sea:86/55 Mostly Sunny

      Seawater temperatures

      Black Sea measured at Trabzon 75

      Marmara Sea measured at Tekirdag 77

      Aegean Sea measured at Izmir 72

      Mediterranean Sea measured at Antalya 79

      ANNOUNCEMENTS

      [Saat 18:30 and 19:30 'da iki kez okuyun]

      *** On line Turkish classes:

      TurkishCampus.com

      *** This program is partially underwritten by CHIC FRENCH.

      Point your browsers to

      www.ChicFrench.com

      for fine European goods.

      *** Visit our eStore for your gifts:

      turkradio.us/estore

      for items from Turkey.

      Click HERE to search our eStore!

      We now have Turkish films that you can download

      *** Turkish American Association of California

      is a non-profit
      charitable organization established to promote better
      understanding between Americans and Turks.

      If you have any questions about Turks and Turkey,
      e-mail them at taac@...

      *** Planning to go to Turkey?

      Take a look at our Web pages
      that are full of articles and information furnished by
      travelers like yourselves:

      travel.to/sunholiday

      *** For more music from Turkey and the Middle East tune to

      International Cultural Program.

      San Francisco World TV Channel 29
      Sundays at 9-10 A.M

      *** Yore dance invites you to:

      Free Turkish Folkdance Classes.

      Thursdays, 7:30 PM at Stanford,
      Sundays 2 PM at San Francisco

      Please contact with Yore Folk Ensemble for the details.

      Sundays 2 PM Regular Practice Location:
      Alonzo King LINES Dance Center;
      26 Seventh Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103
      Program:
      2:00 PM Warm up
      2:20 PM Teke
      4:00 PM Trakya
      4:30 PM Black Sea
      5:00-PM Stretch
      TELL YOUR FRIENDS who might be interested joining our group.

      Yore Folk Ensemble

      *** Azerbaijani Turkish language classes

      Check wıth the ACSNC center web pages for dates and tımes: http://acsnc.org/
      All are welcome to attend and learn more about the rich and beautiful Azeri tongue.

      Address:

      16400 Lark Ave. Ste # 260
      Los Gatos, CA 95032

      {20100703trh.txt}