1045x0x A master of life: Vedat Turkali

  • Turkish Radio Hour
    May 1, 2004
      x0x A master of life: Vedat Turkali

      * May 1, 2004-May 1, 2005 has been declared 'The Year of Vedat
      Turkali' to celebrate the 85th birthday of Vedat Turkali and thank
      him for his contributions to Turkish literature, theater and
      cinema
      * 'So much pain was not suffered in vain Istanbul Wait for us Wait
      with your great and calm Suleymaniye With your parks, bridges,
      towers and squares Wait with your coffee houses with white wood
      tables leaning against your blue seas' (Vedat Turkali - from the
      poem "Wait For Us Istanbul")

      ISTANBUL - Turkish Daily News

      A near centennial witness and a Turkish intellectual who has
      experienced all the turning points in Turkey's history and whose
      principle is to not accept limits on his horizon or his conscience...
      May 13, 2004 is the 85th birthday of Vedat Turkali, a Turkish
      intellectual who has worked in cinema for nearly 20 years but who
      thought that in an atmosphere of pressurized cinema he would not have
      the opportunity to direct a movie in the way his heart desired and
      started writing scenes, poems and books... Turkish intellectual Vedat
      Turkali, who is devoted to his "dreams," saying, "I don't know if I am
      scenarist or a director, but I am still as passionate now about cinema
      as in the days of my youth. I don't only love cinema; I also believe
      in it. I believe in its impact, authority, potential and future."

      A group of intellectuals, some of whom are theater artists, some
      journalists, some men of letters and some people who played a role in
      his life, got together in order to thank him for his contributions to
      Turkish literature, theater and cinema. His friends are happy about
      giving him a nice surprise for his birthday. May 1, 2004-May 1, 2005
      was declared "The Year of Vedat Turkali."

      His life, from dreams to reality

      Turkali became interested in literature in his childhood. His name was
      "man of letters" in high school. He fell in love, wrote poems. He got
      angry with his classmate and wrote satires. His only dream was to be a
      teacher of literature. In daily Radikal's April 19 edition, Celal
      Baslangic says the following about Vedat Turkali: "Turkali has been
      pursuing his 'dream' for 85 years. If a person pursues his dream that
      much, be sure that it is not a dream but real." Even if not all of
      Turkali's dreams have come true, he worked most sincerely as a
      teacher, filmmaker and novelist and made efforts to be a good
      revolutionist.

      He came to Istanbul for his education and studied at the faculty of
      letters as a military student. While studying Turkology, he met Merih,
      who was first his friend, later his love and now his wife. After
      graduating he worked as a teacher of literature on one hand and for
      the Turkish Communist Party (TKP) on the other. He was tried in 1951
      for being a member of the TKP and sentenced to seven years in prison.
      While in prison he found the opportunity to read books about cinema in
      which he had been interested since his youth. He says: "I had nothing
      to do after being released in 1958. Nobody would employ me. I worked
      as an editor in Babiali for a while. We founded Gar Publishing House
      with Rifat Ilgaz and Suavi and published humorous papers."

      A short time later he met 19-year-old Yilmaz Guney. He first wrote the
      dialogue of a scenario, then scenes for a movie titled "Otobus
      Yolculari" (Bus Passengers) directed by Ertem Gorec. He took the name
      Vedat Turkali at this time. His real name was Abdulkadir Pir Hasan. He
      says: "We decided to send the scenario with pseudonyms. My name became
      Vedat. We used 'Turkali' to please the censor's office. The censor was
      working a lot in those days. This name was wound around my neck like
      the chain of a curse. I later wanted to write under my own name, but
      nobody would accept it."

      He took a step towards the world of cinema with Guney, whom he met at
      the publishing house. His first scene was "Dolandiricilar Sahi" (King
      of Swindlers). He wrote the scenes for important movies like "Otobus
      Yolculari," "Uc Tekerlekli Bisiklet" (Three-wheeled Bicycle) and
      "Karanlikta Uyananlar" (Those Awakening in the Dark). In 1965 he wrote
      scenes for "Sokakta Kan Vardi" (There Was Blood on the Street) and
      directed it. Later he wrote the scenes for "Korkusuz Asiklar" (Brave
      Lovers) and "Kopuk." While speaking earnestly about those days,
      Turkali says the following: "Sometimes I think that if I had not been
      apprehended or if I had been acquitted, maybe I would be a retired
      teacher of literature now. Thank God I was apprehended."

      Wait for us, Istanbul...

      Turkali did not like publishing too much. In addition to writing
      novels and movie scenes, he was also a poet. His poem "Bekle Bizi
      Istanbul" (Wait for Us, Istanbul), which he wrote many years ago, was
      composed but he thought he was not a good poet. "There is a giant like
      Nazim Hikmet in Turkey. There is Oktay Rifat. There is Yahya Kemal. I
      am saying this without being discriminatory. They are giants. In
      poetry, I wouldn't do 10 percent of what I did in a novel," says
      Turkali.

      Turkali is the person who brought political cinema to Turkish cinema.
      "Karanlikta Uyananlar," directed by Ertem Gorec, was the first
      unionist movie. His first novel was "Bir Gun Tek Basina" (Alone
      Someday), in which he talked about May 27. "Mavi Karanlik" (Blue
      Dark), in which he talked about the '70s, followed it. These two
      novels became very famous. Later he wrote his novel "Guven" (Trust).
      He lived in London for 10 years to write "Guven." He explains the
      reason he lived in another country to write this novel on which he
      spent almost his entire life: "I have been collecting documents for
      this novel for 50 years. I have been to Russia four times. What would
      I have done if the police had taken them one day? To speak honestly, I
      couldn't be very trusting."

      Just as he acted stubbornly towards life in order to finish the novel,
      Turkali also behaved with stubborness as regards the name of the novel
      because he had planned this novel and its name in 1942. "I can say
      that I became a writer to write this novel. The others, for example,
      my most famous novel, 'Bir Gun Tek Basina' or 'Mavi Karanlik,' were
      like essays. I don't claim that I did a perfect job. I am hard to
      please, but I know that being fond of perfection is a dead-end
      street."

      Turkali was also tried in the case of the Turkish Writers' Union,
      which was established after September 12, the Intellectuals Petition
      and Baris Association. In his defense in the "Intellectuals Petition
      Case," his final words were recorded in history: "We are before you
      because we believed that we could present a petition. The public
      prosecutor is among those who defend the idea that a petition cannot
      be presented. The decision is yours. If a conclusion is arrived at
      that it cannot be presented, what will happen? It means that we, the
      intellectuals of this country, deserve to be punished for the reason
      that we couldn't understand that even a petition could not be
      presented in this country. We'll serve our sentence."

      Works that will always be remembered

      He wrote about his life in his book titled "Communist," which was
      published in 2001. It is a book that should be read by those who are
      interested in the details of the Turkish left movement and its general
      situation in history. In "Communist" he wrote of his relations with
      Sefik Husnu, Mihri Belli, Sabiha Sertel, Behice Boran and many other
      people; his memories of Nazim Hikmet, Cahit Kulebi, Behcet Necatigil,
      Sait Faik and a number of other famous names. Today he is working on a
      new novel.

      Turkali received the following awards: the TRT 1970 Play Award for his
      play "Dallar Yesil Olmali" (Branches Must Be Green); first prize in
      Milliyet Publications 1974 Novel Competition; the 1976 Orhan Kemal
      Award; "The Best Scenario" awards at the Antalya Film Festival for the
      movies "Karanlikta Uyananlar" and "Kara Carsafli Gelin" (Bride with a
      Black Garment); the Cidalc and Workers' Unions Special Award at the
      Carlovy Vary Film Festival for the movies "Bedrana" and "Gunesli
      Bataklik" (Sunny Marsh). For the simplicity of his language, his
      mastery of Turkish and his contributions to our world of literature,
      he makes us say, "Thank God, you chose to be a writer." Many happy
      returns for Vedat Turkali, who is the master of life for his modest
      life and his attitude favoring the oppressed...

      Copyright 2004, Turkish Daily News. This article is redistributed with
      permission for personal use of TRKNWS-L readers. No part of this article
      may be reproduced, further distributed or archived without the prior
      permission of the publisher. Contact: Turkish Daily News Online on the
      Internet World Wide Web. www.turkishdailynews.com

      For information on other matters please contact tdn-f@...