V4 tool offset handling

  • Neil Albert
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi,

      I am finishing up rewriting a G-Code generating program for a particular
      part to utilize a rotary table and the A-axis of TC v3.X
      instead of using circular interpolation.

      My programs ordinarily handle offset by passing tool diameter as a
      parameter, but it takes longer to implement this when I make changes to my
      programs. Is the tool offset feature of V4 well tested?

      This might be a good time for me to start switching over.

      Thanks
      Neil

    • Statman Designs, LLC
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004
        The tool offset in T-CNC has never been about tool-radius compensation. It
        was (version 3.X), and is (version 4) about tool LENGTH offset. There is no
        cutter radius compensation in TurboCNC.

        Daniel J. Statman, Statman Designs
        www.statmandesigns.com
        dan.statman@...

        > I am finishing up rewriting a G-Code generating program for a particular
        > part to utilize a rotary table and the A-axis of TC v3.X
        > instead of using circular interpolation.
        >
        > My programs ordinarily handle offset by passing tool diameter as a
        > parameter, but it takes longer to implement this when I make changes to my
        > programs. Is the tool offset feature of V4 well tested?
        >
        > This might be a good time for me to start switching over.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Neil

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Antonius J.M. Groothuizen
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004
          Neil:

          Cutter radius compensation has not been implemented in V4.00. The
          way that offsets work in V4.00 is to shift the display coordinates.

          Display Position = Real Position + fixture offset + tool offset

          If you are using offsets for, and align the tool to the workpiece,
          this will work, as the tool path is offset in all directions to
          compensate.

          Tool offsets are useful for the length of the tool. You'll note from
          the equation that simply specifying the tool enables Tool Length
          Offset. Personally, my choice is to specify 0 offsets for the X and
          Y Axes of the Tool, and its length for the Z-axis offset. I program
          the tool path for the center of the tool in X/Y.

          Something that you should be very much aware of is the action of the
          G92 preparatory function. Just to remind you:

          G53 T0 - updates the Real position (master coordinate system)
          G54-59 T0 - updates the fixture offset
          G53 T1 - Txx - updates the Tool Offset
          G54-59 T1 - Txx - does nothing (not even an error)

          Just to inform you of our current status for CRC, the UME (unitless
          motion engine) programming has been completed. It is currently
          undergoing internal testing. The Design Requirements Document for
          CRC is being prepared. This path is required, since if we had
          started with CRC and CVC, these functions would have to be upgraded
          when the UME was finally implemented (more work).

          The really good news is that we're designing CRC/CVC in such a manner
          that we won't have two code streams to maintain during the
          development cycle.

          Tony

          PS: the rotary table bugs have been found, and corrected. We're
          waiting for independent confirmation before releasing the fix.

          --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Albert" <neilalbert@c...>
          wrote:
          > Hi,
          >

          > I am finishing up rewriting a G-Code generating program for a
          particular
          > part to utilize a rotary table and the A-axis of TC v3.X
          > instead of using circular interpolation.
          >
          > My programs ordinarily handle offset by passing tool diameter as a
          > parameter, but it takes longer to implement this when I make
          changes to my
          > programs. Is the tool offset feature of V4 well tested?
          >
          > This might be a good time for me to start switching over.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Neil

        • Carol & Jerry Jankura
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004
            Hi, Neil:

            If by "tool offset" you mean the radius compensation (G40,41, 42), TurboCNC
            does not yet implement these G-Codes. They're scheduled for Rel-4.1. It was
            work enough to learn how to run the program in protected mode to get the
            memory space for all of the extra goodies.

            -- Jerry

            > I am finishing up rewriting a G-Code generating program for a particular
            > part to utilize a rotary table and the A-axis of TC v3.X
            > instead of using circular interpolation.
            >
            > My programs ordinarily handle offset by passing tool diameter as a
            > parameter, but it takes longer to implement this when I make changes to my
            > programs. Is the tool offset feature of V4 well tested?
            >
            > This might be a good time for me to start switching over.

            It's a good time, even without radius compenstation. I think that you'll
            like the additional features that have been added.

            -- Jerry