Re: CNC Controlled Sewing Machine for Quilting - Control Challenges

  • ballendo
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
      Hello,

      You don't need a c axis. Having a long arm machine is very helpful,
      but most commercial units now use rollers to "take up" and "let out"
      the material as necessary to fit under the arm of the machine. As to
      the feed, the presser foot is left doen, but the feed dogs are
      lowered so the motors can move the material through the machine.

      There is an 800 or so buck kit made to CNC the roller table that most
      quilters are familiar with (You wife will know it; it's likely the
      one she's using now!) I can't remember the name right now, but they
      are online. Overnight millionaires. The cnc kit is an add-on to their
      product, since their patent is pretty strong...

      There is also a cnc sewing machine project online that some high
      school kids made (link is on another computer)

      I was looking very seriously into this as a product a year and a half
      ago; but when I saw the 8 hunnerd buck product, which is really nice,
      Video of operation online, It just didn't make sense to try and
      compete...

      Hope this helps,

      Ballendo

      --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, John Johnson <johnatl@m...> wrote:

      > On Friday, Oct 31, 2003, at 15:49 US/Eastern, gmayhew2001 wrote:
      >
      > > Just finished building my CNC Router from Joyn Kleinbauer plans
      and
      > > HobbyCNC controller. Using TurboCNC for control. Works great.
      > >
      > > The wife does machine quilting (using a sewing machine on an X Y
      > > trolley to sew the quilting stitches). After seeing the CNC
      Router
      > > she asked, can you CNC control the quilter?
      >
      > I can't help with your problem, but wanted to add: I saw a CNC
      quilter
      > at the Bobbin Show in Atlanta. It sounds like a four-stroke Weed
      Eater.
      > The whole quilt was stretched on a frame, and the sewing head moved
      > around the quilt. Not sure what was happening under the quilt to
      lock
      > the stitch, or what have you.
      >
      > Although the material would give enough to allow you not to worry
      about
      > the start/stop of a single stitch, the acceleration of the sewer
      would
      > be a problem. You also need a C or theta axis to turn the sewing
      > machine. That would be interesting too.
      >
      > Send pictures when you finish it :-)
      >
      > Regards,
      > JJ
      > --
      > The different branches of Arithmetic- Ambition, Distraction,
      > Uglification, and Derision.
      >
      > -Lewis Carroll: Alice in Wonderland
    • ballendo
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
        Hello again,

        Here's a link: http://www.pcquilter.com/

        They've done some updating since I last looked...

        They now support more frame types, and apparently are patenting a
        device to get more throat (effectively) froma std. 9 inch machine (I
        can hear the snickering<G>)

        Anyway, their CNC is 3 "axis", x and y, and they physically press on
        the footpedal to control the machine sewing speed.

        Hope this helps,

        Ballendo