FreeDos

  • timaga
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi,
      I am very new to CNC. I'm just setting up my xylotex/sherline system
      as I write this).

      I am thinking of installing TurboCNC, and I dont have a copy of MS-
      DOS. I threw away my disks about 10 years ago....

      Does anyone use FreeDos? Will it work? Is there a distribution
      that works particularly well with TurboCNC? (Or is there a package
      with everything already set up?)

      Thanks,
      Mark
    • jeffalanp
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
        Hi,
        For my Sherline system I use FreeDOS with TurboCNC, booting off a
        floppy on a 500MHz PC. I do not have a config.sys (I removed the one
        installed by FreeDOS), and my autoexec.bat has been cleared so that
        it only has -> PROMPT $P$G <- in it.

        Jeff

        --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "Carol & Jerry Jankura"
        <jerry.jankura@s...> wrote:
        > Hi, Mark:
        >
        > FreeDOS should work with TurboCNC.
        >
        > But, what operating system are you using? If it's Windows 9x,
        despite
        > whatever Microsoft says, you have a copy of DOS which works quite
        well with
        > TurboCNC. If you're running XP/NT/2K, you don't.
        >
        > If you'll edit a file called MSDOS.SYS, you'll find the first
        several lines:

        > [Paths]
        > WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
        > WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
        > HostWinBootDrv=C
        >
        > [Options]
        > BootMulti=1
        > BootGUI=1
        > DoubleBuffer=1
        >
        > Change the [Options] entry for BootGUI to BootGUI=0 and you'll boot
        directly
        > into DOS. You can then build a CONFIG.SYS file that puts a small
        menu on the
        > screen allowing you to run either DOS or Windows depending on what
        you want
        > to do. Note that, to edit the MSDOS.SYS file, you'll have to set its
        > attributes properly (attrib MSDOS.SYS -r -s -h).
        >
        > -- Jerry
        >

        > > Hi,
        > > I am very new to CNC. I'm just setting up my xylotex/sherline
        system
        > > as I write this).
        > >
        > > I am thinking of installing TurboCNC, and I dont have a copy of
        MS-
        > > DOS. I threw away my disks about 10 years ago....
        > >
        > > Does anyone use FreeDos? Will it work? Is there a distribution
        > > that works particularly well with TurboCNC? (Or is there a package
        > > with everything already set up?)

      • Carol & Jerry Jankura
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
          Hi, Mark:

          FreeDOS should work with TurboCNC.

          But, what operating system are you using? If it's Windows 9x, despite
          whatever Microsoft says, you have a copy of DOS which works quite well with
          TurboCNC. If you're running XP/NT/2K, you don't.

          If you'll edit a file called MSDOS.SYS, you'll find the first several lines:

          [Paths]
          WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
          WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
          HostWinBootDrv=C

          [Options]
          BootMulti=1
          BootGUI=1
          DoubleBuffer=1

          Change the [Options] entry for BootGUI to BootGUI=0 and you'll boot directly
          into DOS. You can then build a CONFIG.SYS file that puts a small menu on the
          screen allowing you to run either DOS or Windows depending on what you want
          to do. Note that, to edit the MSDOS.SYS file, you'll have to set its
          attributes properly (attrib MSDOS.SYS -r -s -h).

          -- Jerry

          > Hi,
          > I am very new to CNC. I'm just setting up my xylotex/sherline system
          > as I write this).
          >
          > I am thinking of installing TurboCNC, and I dont have a copy of MS-
          > DOS. I threw away my disks about 10 years ago....
          >
          > Does anyone use FreeDos? Will it work? Is there a distribution
          > that works particularly well with TurboCNC? (Or is there a package
          > with everything already set up?)

        • Alan Marconett KM6VV
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
            Hi Mark,

            If you use Windoz 95 or 98, they can make up a boot disk. Then just
            kill any extra memory managers that it might want to load.

            Alan KM6VV
            SherlineCNC