Re: [turbocnc] 3d printing with turbocnc

  • Scott A Tovey
    Message 1 of 44 , Jun 3, 2013
      There used to be a listing for the makerbot cupcake which basically added
      hardware needed to do 3D printing.

      Your xyz CNC Axis controller must have the capacity to run a fourth axis. The fourth axis is used for filament extrusion. Other than that, your biggest limitation will be in the z-axis. If your CNC mill only has a 2" z axis, that will be the tallest or thickest object depending on how you look at it, you will be able to print.

      You will need an extruder assembly that can be mounted to the tool mount on your mill, Then using slic3 from slic3r.org or some other slicing program to
      generate the g-code, you should be able to print using your CNC mill.

      An extruder assembly which is your fourth axis will include:
         The extruder body.
         A stepper motor
         gears for the stepper motor and filament feed.
         A Ubis hot end.

      Scott A. Tovey

      Truth without love is brutality,

      and love without truth is hypocrisy.