Re: Old Computer Crashed

  • rdstillw
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 20 5:08 PM
      Is there special drivers I have to load for the LPT1 port to talk to the gecko 320's?

      --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@...> wrote:

      > Is that what is listed in your ini file????
      >

      > At 07:40 PM 3/20/2013, you wrote:
      > >On the setup screen when turbocnc starts it says:
      > >
      > > "LPT1 at address $378. (888D)."
      > >
      > >When I go to the devise manager under the printer port (LPT1)
      > >properties then click on the resorces tab it says:
      > >input/output Range 0378 - 037F
      > >
      > >Is this not setup right?
      > >
      > >--- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hey,
      > > > Couple of stupid questions:
      > > > 1. You booted into pure DOS??? yes
      > > > 2. Is the parallel port on the new machine at the same address as
      > > > listed in your ini file?
      > > >
      > > > Art
      > > > Country Bubba

    • Art Eckstein
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 20 5:21 PM
        No, no "drivers" are required. The interface is Turbocnc and it
        contains all that is necessary.
        By the way, are you using the same version of Turbocnc now that was
        used with the ini file???
        Should not make a difference, but drawing at straws now.

        Art
        Country bubba

        At 08:08 PM 3/20/2013, rdstillw wrote:
        >Is there special drivers I have to load for the LPT1 port to talk to
        >the gecko 320's?
        >
        >--- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Is that what is listed in your ini file????
        > >

        > > At 07:40 PM 3/20/2013, you wrote:
        > > >On the setup screen when turbocnc starts it says:
        > > >
        > > > "LPT1 at address $378. (888D)."
        > > >
        > > >When I go to the devise manager under the printer port (LPT1)
        > > >properties then click on the resorces tab it says:
        > > >input/output Range 0378 - 037F
        > > >
        > > >Is this not setup right?

        > missing. Please help!

      • N Sp
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 20 5:34 PM
          You could get into BIOS (commonly by pressing DEL F10 or F2 while booting), then
          navigate to parallel port properties (into something like "integrated peripherals")
          and there you can change Lpt address, its operation mode or enable it if disabled.
          Avoid changes on anything you can't understand, and on difficulties, keep notes and
          ask again. Regards. Nik

        • Mckee, Don - Contractor {QUAKER}
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 21 8:46 AM
            You didn't say if the spare computer was a desktop or a laptop. If it's a newer laptop that's probably your problem. On newer laptops the parallel port is driven at about 3 volts - not 5 volts like the older equipment. That one's bitten me in the butt more than once.

            Don

            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 21 10:52 AM
              --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "rdstillw" <rdstillw@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              > I had been runinng an older version of TurboCNC on a computer that recently crashed. I had saved the config file ini. from this setup.
              > I installed a new version of TurboCNC 4.01 onto another spare computer and replaced the config file with the one I had on hand.
              >
              > Problem is when I go to jog the axis nothing is happening. Not sure what else I need to do in the new setup that I'm missing. Please help!
              >
              > The system is running Gecko's 320 and is a simple 3 axis machine.
              >
              > Respectfully,
              > Rich

              try to enable your drivers on turbocnc, enable1 to port 1
              you need to put yourself ech port 2,3,4,5,6,7 and enable 1
              dir ans spep, and check drivers if is inverted
              succes
            • Roland Jollivet
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 21 11:07 AM
                Download
                Parmon.exe or
                Lpt.exe off the net to test if you can toggle the port pins
                or not.

                If you can't toggle the pins by clicking on the dots, then your printer
                port is not working or not available. Go into the Bios too, and check that
                the parallel port is enabled.

                If you can toggle the pins by clicking on the dots or boxes, then connect a
                multimeter to the line and verify that the line is actually changing state.
                Once that's happening, you should be on your way..

                Regards
                Roland

                On 21 March 2013 00:32, rdstillw <rdstillw@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Hello,
                > I had been runinng an older version of TurboCNC on a computer that
                > recently crashed. I had saved the config file ini. from this setup.
                > I installed a new version of TurboCNC 4.01 onto another spare computer and
                > replaced the config file with the one I had on hand.
                >
                > Problem is when I go to jog the axis nothing is happening. Not sure what
                > else I need to do in the new setup that I'm missing. Please help!
                >
                > The system is running Gecko's 320 and is a simple 3 axis machine.
                >
                > Respectfully,
                > Rich

              • Roland Jollivet
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 21 11:10 AM
                  I know this sounds like basic steps, but if the parallel port is on one of
                  the slots, you should open the computer to see if it's on a ribbon cable,
                  and that might not be plugged in.

                  Roland

                  On 21 March 2013 00:32, rdstillw <rdstillw@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Hello,
                  > I had been runinng an older version of TurboCNC on a computer that
                  > recently crashed. I had saved the config file ini. from this setup.
                  > I installed a new version of TurboCNC 4.01 onto another spare computer and
                  > replaced the config file with the one I had on hand.
                  >
                  > Problem is when I go to jog the axis nothing is happening. Not sure what
                  > else I need to do in the new setup that I'm missing. Please help!
                  >
                  > The system is running Gecko's 320 and is a simple 3 axis machine.
                  >
                  > Respectfully,
                  > Rich

                • rdstillw
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 26 8:53 AM
                    Sorry about the delay, I spoke with the person I originally purchased the machine from who did the initial setup to see if I was missing anything. He said for me to check to make sure if I was getting the 5V which I did last night and do indeed have the 5V.
                    Im going to try and toggle the ports like you said by downloading the paron.exe program.
                    Can you be a little more specific on how to check the port pins with a multimeter. Not to sure what I should be looking for as for voltage coming through the pin?
                    Also, can you point me in the right direction to find paron.exe, can seem to find it on the web.

                    Regards,

                    Rich

                    --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, Roland Jollivet <Roland.Jollivet@...> wrote:

                    > Download
                    > Parmon.exe or
                    > Lpt.exe off the net to test if you can toggle the port pins
                    > or not.
                    >
                    > If you can't toggle the pins by clicking on the dots, then your printer
                    > port is not working or not available. Go into the Bios too, and check that
                    > the parallel port is enabled.
                    >
                    > If you can toggle the pins by clicking on the dots or boxes, then connect a
                    > multimeter to the line and verify that the line is actually changing state.
                    > Once that's happening, you should be on your way..
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Roland
                    >

                    > On 21 March 2013 00:32, rdstillw <rdstillw@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Hello,
                    > > I had been runinng an older version of TurboCNC on a computer that
                    > > recently crashed. I had saved the config file ini. from this setup.
                    > > I installed a new version of TurboCNC 4.01 onto another spare computer and
                    > > replaced the config file with the one I had on hand.
                    > >
                    > > Problem is when I go to jog the axis nothing is happening. Not sure what
                    > > else I need to do in the new setup that I'm missing. Please help!
                    > >
                    > > The system is running Gecko's 320 and is a simple 3 axis machine.
                    > >
                    > > Respectfully,
                    > > Rich

                  • rdstillw
                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 26 8:55 AM
                      Also, I didnt mention this but I didnt registar the product yet. Not sure if there is a special key or program I was supposed to insert into the files? I downloaded it off the TurboCNC website and it never asked me for a key? I will gradly pay the $60 to registar if this is what is causing me my problems.

                      Rich

                      --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "rdstillw" <rdstillw@...> wrote:

                      > Sorry about the delay, I spoke with the person I originally purchased the machine from who did the initial setup to see if I was missing anything. He said for me to check to make sure if I was getting the 5V which I did last night and do indeed have the 5V.
                      > Im going to try and toggle the ports like you said by downloading the paron.exe program.
                      > Can you be a little more specific on how to check the port pins with a multimeter. Not to sure what I should be looking for as for voltage coming through the pin?
                      > Also, can you point me in the right direction to find paron.exe, can seem to find it on the web.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >

                      > Rich
                      >

                      > --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, Roland Jollivet <Roland.Jollivet@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Download
                      > > Parmon.exe or
                      > > Lpt.exe off the net to test if you can toggle the port pins
                      > > or not.
                      > >
                      > > If you can't toggle the pins by clicking on the dots, then your printer
                      > > port is not working or not available. Go into the Bios too, and check that
                      > > the parallel port is enabled.
                      > >
                      > > If you can toggle the pins by clicking on the dots or boxes, then connect a
                      > > multimeter to the line and verify that the line is actually changing state.
                      > > Once that's happening, you should be on your way..
                      > >
                      > > Regards
                      > > Roland
                      > >

                      > > On 21 March 2013 00:32, rdstillw <rdstillw@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > **
                      > > >

                      > > > Hello,
                      > > > I had been runinng an older version of TurboCNC on a computer that
                      > > > recently crashed. I had saved the config file ini. from this setup.
                      > > > I installed a new version of TurboCNC 4.01 onto another spare computer and
                      > > > replaced the config file with the one I had on hand.
                      > > >
                      > > > Problem is when I go to jog the axis nothing is happening. Not sure what
                      > > > else I need to do in the new setup that I'm missing. Please help!
                      > > >
                      > > > The system is running Gecko's 320 and is a simple 3 axis machine.
                      > > >
                      > > > Respectfully,
                      > > > Rich

                    • Art Eckstein
                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 26 9:10 AM
                        There is no special key or serial number for TurboCNC. It is fully
                        functional "honorware". That is after evaluation, if you like it, you
                        register it.

                        A side benefit of registration is you get access to the source code
                        which will allow you to make your own modifications if desired.

                        Another way to toggle the pins is to use the ports function built
                        into Turbocnc.

                        Press the F2 key and the ports window will pop up in the lower left
                        corner of your screen in "passive" mode.
                        Now Press <Alt>+F2 keys and you will be in the active mode.
                        Now you can toggle the pins by using the number keys etc. (see the
                        manual for more info).
                        You should be able to hook a multimeter between the pin in question
                        and ground and see the voltage level change as you toggle the pin.

                        HTH
                        Art
                        Country Bubba

                        At 11:55 AM 3/26/2013, you wrote:
                        >Also, I didnt mention this but I didnt registar the product yet. Not
                        >sure if there is a special key or program I was supposed to insert
                        >into the files? I downloaded it off the TurboCNC website and it
                        >never asked me for a key? I will gradly pay the $60 to registar if
                        >this is what is causing me my problems.
                        >
                        >Rich
                      • Roland Jollivet
                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 26 9:14 AM
                          Put the meter on 20V range, and put probe on a port pin. Toggle the line.
                          No change, you have a problem. Some change, and it shows it's probably
                          working, or least you have the correct port selected.

                          It's parmon.exe, not paron.exe . It's out there. Get lpt.exe too.

                          Regards
                          Roland

                        • rdstillw
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 4, 2013
                            Ok an update....I fixed it, well I should say we fixed it. The problem was in the BIOS setting for the Parallel Port. It was set to AUTO instead of ENABLE. As soon as I switched it to enable everything worked like a charm. Thank you guys for all your help!!!!

                            I don't have a limit switches or homing switches set up on my machine, Ive been homing it by eye for way too long. Any suggestions on what type of accurate homing/limit switches I should use and what pins I connected them too? How are they wired up?

                          • Art Eckstein
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 4, 2013
                              Rich,
                              Glad to hear you have it running now. Its those niggling little
                              details that jump up and bite you.

                              As for homing switches, on my mill, I have mechanical switches (also
                              used as limits by means of "home-as-limit" and back then (over 10
                              years ago now) I didn't know what I was doing (and some say I still
                              don'T:}) and I used separate inputs for each axis.
                              On my recently built router, I used hall effect switches, again using
                              "home-as-limit", but have them going all to one input.

                              The advantage of using one input pin is obvious, as this frees up
                              others for other purposes.
                              The advantage of the mechanical switches is they are wired as NC and
                              can be wired in series. If a wire breaks, it will cause a limit that
                              has to be fixed. The Hall effect switches being of the NO type, are
                              wired in parallel. If you have a wire break here, you will not know
                              it till its to late.

                              As far as accuracy (repeatability), either is more than adequate for
                              my purposes. And just to let you know, I think there is still a bug
                              in the "Home All" function so don't be surprised. I personally do
                              all homing in either MDI or with a g code program and do each axis
                              individually. That way, I can be sure the Z axis is up and out of
                              the way before moving either X or Y.

                              Art
                              Country Bubba

                            • tpalmer.t21@btinternet.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 4, 2013
                                Art

                                You talk about your inputs do you just take an external 5v and feed it into the input port or go via a limiting resistor or is it more complicated. I ask because my breakout board only handles outputs and I want to add an input and dont want to damage the computer.
                                Trev

                              • Art Eckstein
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 4, 2013
                                  Trev,
                                  OK, for the mechanical switches, there is a pullup resistor on the
                                  input pin (one side to +5v and the other to the pin).
                                  In the case of the mechanical switches, when the switch opens; the
                                  pin goes hi and is recognized by Turbocnc.
                                  In the case of the Hall effect switches, there is a pull down
                                  resistor (one side to ground and the other to the pin) and when the
                                  switch is tripped, it puts 5V on the pin and is again recognized by Turbo.

                                  In both cases, I have a breakout board in line with the parallel port
                                  to buffer the pins and it handles all the I/Os. I personally have
                                  never seen a breakout board that does not handle all the available
                                  pins. Which one do you have??

                                  Art
                                  Country Bubba

                                • tpalmer.t21@btinternet.com
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 4, 2013
                                    Art Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I have a very small lathe I converted to cnc. The breakout board is home made using a 74LS541 chip for the outputs. I now want to add an inductive sensor on the spindle which is 12v this will feed an opto isolator which will feed the 5v to the computer. I can then have a go at screw cutting. Thanks again Trev.

                                    --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@...> wrote:

                                    > Trev,
                                    > OK, for the mechanical switches, there is a pullup resistor on the
                                    > input pin (one side to +5v and the other to the pin).
                                    > In the case of the mechanical switches, when the switch opens; the
                                    > pin goes hi and is recognized by Turbocnc.
                                    > In the case of the Hall effect switches, there is a pull down
                                    > resistor (one side to ground and the other to the pin) and when the
                                    > switch is tripped, it puts 5V on the pin and is again recognized by Turbo.
                                    >
                                    > In both cases, I have a breakout board in line with the parallel port
                                    > to buffer the pins and it handles all the I/Os. I personally have
                                    > never seen a breakout board that does not handle all the available
                                    > pins. Which one do you have??
                                    >
                                    > Art
                                    > Country Bubba
                                    >

                                    > At 11:10 AM 4/4/2013, you wrote:
                                    > >Art
                                    > >
                                    > >You talk about your inputs do you just take an external 5v and feed
                                    > >it into the input port or go via a limiting resistor or is it more
                                    > >complicated. I ask because my breakout board only handles outputs
                                    > >and I want to add an input and dont want to damage the computer.
                                    > >Trev

                                  • Tony Smith
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 7, 2013
                                      > I don't have a limit switches or homing switches set up on my machine, Ive
                                      been
                                      > homing it by eye for way too long. Any suggestions on what type of
                                      accurate
                                      > homing/limit switches I should use and what pins I connected them too?
                                      How
                                      > are they wired up?

                                      Microswitches work well enough and are cheap, you want the ones with the
                                      little roller on the end of the lever. Like these:
                                      http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1883.html

                                      You put those in a spot where the move bit hits the roller as it goes past
                                      and click the switch. Some people put them on the end but if it crashes it
                                      can damaged the switch (and so some people at rubber bumpers etc).

                                      You can also do optical switches, basically tiny versions of the door chimes
                                      that trigger when you walk past them, and proximity switches that work like
                                      little metal detectors.

                                      The last two need to be powered to work, and require a bit of electronics
                                      fiddling. The switches are simple - they're just a switch so you wire them
                                      straight in.

                                      You can get away with using the limit switches as homing switches, most
                                      people do that.

                                      Tony
                                    • rdstillw
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 10, 2013
                                        Hey Guys,
                                        Well I thought I was done debugging but I have another issue and not too sure what it can be. As you know I got all my axises working by enabling the parallel port in the bios....NOT AUTO. The problem is that when I use either page up or page down to jog the Z axis they both jog the z in the downwards direction??? I cannot get the z to go back up? Any thoughts?
                                        Rich

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 10, 2013
                                          Maybe the keyboard is toast?

                                          Don

                                          --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com<mailto:turbocnc%40yahoogroups.com>, "Tony Smith" <ajsmith1968@...<mailto:ajsmith1968@...>> wrote:

                                          > > I don't have a limit switches or homing switches set up on my machine, Ive
                                          > been
                                          > > homing it by eye for way too long. Any suggestions on what type of
                                          > accurate
                                          > > homing/limit switches I should use and what pins I connected them too?
                                          > How
                                          > > are they wired up?
                                          >

                                          > Microswitches work well enough and are cheap, you want the ones with the
                                          > little roller on the end of the lever. Like these:
                                          > http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1883.html
                                          >
                                          > You put those in a spot where the move bit hits the roller as it goes past
                                          > and click the switch. Some people put them on the end but if it crashes it
                                          > can damaged the switch (and so some people at rubber bumpers etc).
                                          >
                                          > You can also do optical switches, basically tiny versions of the door chimes
                                          > that trigger when you walk past them, and proximity switches that work like
                                          > little metal detectors.
                                          >
                                          > The last two need to be powered to work, and require a bit of electronics
                                          > fiddling. The switches are simple - they're just a switch so you wire them
                                          > straight in.
                                          >
                                          > You can get away with using the limit switches as homing switches, most
                                          > people do that.
                                          >
                                          > Tony

                                        • David Knaack
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 10, 2013
                                            Can you confirm that the parallel port output pin that is your Z direction
                                            pin is changing?

                                            If so, confirm that the pin signal is making it to the input of your
                                            stepper controller.

                                            If not, make sure you've selected a port pin that is either in-out or out
                                            (some parallel port pins are input only, depending on the parallel port
                                            mode). You may want to look up SPP, EPP, and ECP modes and make sure you've
                                            got it configured in a way that ought to work.

                                            On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM, rdstillw <rdstillw@...> wrote:

                                            > **
                                            >

                                            > Hey Guys,
                                            > Well I thought I was done debugging but I have another issue and not too
                                            > sure what it can be. As you know I got all my axises working by enabling
                                            > the parallel port in the bios....NOT AUTO. The problem is that when I use
                                            > either page up or page down to jog the Z axis they both jog the z in the
                                            > downwards direction??? I cannot get the z to go back up? Any thoughts?
                                            > Rich
                                            >
                                            > --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Smith" <ajsmith1968@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > > I don't have a limit switches or homing switches set up on my machine,
                                            > Ive
                                            > > been
                                            > > > homing it by eye for way too long. Any suggestions on what type of
                                            > > accurate
                                            > > > homing/limit switches I should use and what pins I connected them too?
                                            > > How
                                            > > > are they wired up?
                                            > >

                                            > > Microswitches work well enough and are cheap, you want the ones with the
                                            > > little roller on the end of the lever. Like these:
                                            > > http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1883.html
                                            > >
                                            > > You put those in a spot where the move bit hits the roller as it goes
                                            > past
                                            > > and click the switch. Some people put them on the end but if it crashes
                                            > it
                                            > > can damaged the switch (and so some people at rubber bumpers etc).
                                            > >
                                            > > You can also do optical switches, basically tiny versions of the door
                                            > chimes
                                            > > that trigger when you walk past them, and proximity switches that work
                                            > like
                                            > > little metal detectors.
                                            > >
                                            > > The last two need to be powered to work, and require a bit of electronics
                                            > > fiddling. The switches are simple - they're just a switch so you wire
                                            > them
                                            > > straight in.
                                            > >
                                            > > You can get away with using the limit switches as homing switches, most
                                            > > people do that.
                                            > >
                                            > > Tony

                                          • Art Eckstein
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 10, 2013
                                              Sounds like:
                                              1. You have a bad connection between the port, break out board, or driver
                                              2. You have a bad pin on the parallel port (check using the DVM)
                                              3. Again, the dreaded 3V vs 5V parallel port problem
                                              4. A problem with the driver input circuit?

                                              Try moving to a different set of pin (example the ones used for the X
                                              axis and see if it repeats)
                                              Art
                                              Country Bubba

                                              At 04:45 PM 4/10/2013, you wrote:
                                              >Hey Guys,
                                              >Well I thought I was done debugging but I have another issue and not
                                              >too sure what it can be. As you know I got all my axises working by
                                              >enabling the parallel port in the bios....NOT AUTO. The problem is
                                              >that when I use either page up or page down to jog the Z axis they
                                              >both jog the z in the downwards direction??? I cannot get the z to
                                              >Rich
                                              >

                                              >--- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Smith" <ajsmith1968@...> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > > I don't have a limit switches or homing switches set up on my
                                              > machine, Ive
                                              > > been
                                              > > > homing it by eye for way too long. Any suggestions on what type of
                                              > > accurate
                                              > > > homing/limit switches I should use and what pins I connected them too?
                                              > > How
                                              > > > are they wired up?
                                              > >

                                              > > Microswitches work well enough and are cheap, you want the ones with the
                                              > > little roller on the end of the lever. Like these:
                                              > > http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1883.html
                                              > >
                                              > > You put those in a spot where the move bit hits the roller as it goes past
                                              > > and click the switch. Some people put them on the end but if it crashes it
                                              > > can damaged the switch (and so some people at rubber bumpers etc).
                                              > >
                                              > > You can also do optical switches, basically tiny versions of the
                                              > door chimes
                                              > > that trigger when you walk past them, and proximity switches that work like
                                              > > little metal detectors.
                                              > >
                                              > > The last two need to be powered to work, and require a bit of electronics
                                              > > fiddling. The switches are simple - they're just a switch so you wire them
                                              > > straight in.
                                              > >
                                              > > You can get away with using the limit switches as homing switches, most
                                              > > people do that.
                                              > >
                                              > > Tony

                                            • Bruce
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Apr 11, 2013
                                                Haven't used turbo CNC for many years, but they all work
                                                pretty much the same. You have 2 #s for each axis "X" could be
                                                in # 3 and out is #4 ." Y" is #5 and # 6 . "Z" would be # 7 and # 8.
                                                Beyond that you could have a board or wire shorted out.
                                                Check all your set up #s.
                                                Bruce