first time cnc setup need help with phase drive comport pinout

  • stevecobb1976
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 17, 2013
      I installed windows me and turbocnc and I after 2 weeks I got 1 motor working on the x axis with a uln2003 driver.

      now that I got it working, how to I wire 3 to the parallel port.
      the 1st uln2003 in phase drive mode used pins 2,3,4,5
      so would the second use the next 4 and so on for the third?

      thanks all this is my first post and I am a complete noob but I did make 1 motor work running in jog mode
    • stevecobb1976
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 18, 2013
        here is the schematic of what I am trying to do.

        --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "stevecobb1976" <stevecobb1976@...> wrote:

        > I installed windows me and turbocnc and I after 2 weeks I got 1 motor working on the x axis with a uln2003 driver.
        >
        > now that I got it working, how to I wire 3 to the parallel port.
        > the 1st uln2003 in phase drive mode used pins 2,3,4,5
        > so would the second use the next 4 and so on for the third?
        >
        > thanks all this is my first post and I am a complete noob but I did make 1 motor work running in jog mode

      • toolznglue
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 18, 2013
          On Mar 18, 2013, at 4:55 PM, stevecobb1976 <stevecobb1976@...> wrote:

          >> I installed windows me and turbocnc and I after 2 weeks I got 1 motor working on the x axis with a uln2003 driver.
          >>
          >> now that I got it working, how to I wire 3 to the parallel port.
          >> the 1st uln2003 in phase drive mode used pins 2,3,4,5
          >> so would the second use the next 4 and so on for the third?
          >>
          >> thanks all this is my first post and I am a complete noob but I did make 1 motor work running in jog mode

          You do realize that TurboCNC is a DOS program and requires some version of DOS (MS-DOS, DR-DOS, FreeDOS) to run properly? While you can run TurboCNC under some versions of windows, you'll most likely not be satisfied with your results. If you're using motor drives that require step and direction pulses, you'll find that the time Windows uses for its internal housekeeping will result in TurboCNC's step pulses not being particularly robust (that is, they won't be spaced properly but will have some gaps) which will either stall the motors or allow the motors to be run at abysmally low speeds. I'm not sure how phase motor drives would act, but suspect that the phase signals would not look particularly nice and would cause stalling issues as well.

          Folks who use an early version of Windows generally drop down to a pure DOS before running TurboCNC.

          Jerry Jankura
          So many toys�. So little time�.

        • Roland Jollivet
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 19, 2013
            Phase driving was what Tcnc was all about, allowing users to easily control
            unipolar motors.

            To the OP, READ the manual. Yes, set up the phases just like you did the
            first one. At least you have a reference. The program does not care which
            pins you use, as long as they are outputs and not duplicated in function.

            ___________________________________
            ......... excerpt from the manual pg 24;

            Set the *Last Phase* to the number of phases used in your drive scheme.
            Full, half, and quarter step schemes can be developed for both unipolar and
            bipolar two-phase stepper motors using the 16 phase definitions available. Pin
            assignments for *Phase definitions* follow.

            Pin state: 1 0 0 0 X X X X X X X X (from *Phase definition* 1)
            Pin ID: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1 14 16 17

            Pins 1,14,16,17 are driven separately from the other 8 since the computer
            can only change one byte at a time on the port. Therefore, keep all the
            phases for one motor either on pins 2-9 or on pins 1,14,16 and 17.

            Roland