Configuring TurboCNC for MAXNC-10 (1999, OL)

  • lizzybeth_dot_net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2013
      Hi everyone, I'm completely new to CNC but have learned quite a bit in this troubleshooting process. I'm still unsucessful after two weeks however and fear I may be reaching a dead end in my effors.

      I'm trying to get a MAXNC-10 mill up and running. It's and OL from 1999 so it can't be run in CL like the ones from 2005 on. I tried to get it to work with Mach3 for a while and was able to get the computer to "talk" to the CNC by running it in MAXNC-10 mode. When jogging the X, Y, and Z axes they would start to move and then stop as the motors started making noise. The CNC has run before under a different owner under the MAX DLX software so I didn't think it was a hardware failure. It sounded more like it was getting the wrong kind signal from the computer. After more research I discovered that the MAXNC uses phase drive instead of step-dir. Since Mach3 has no apparent support of options for phase drive I switched to something that did and had reportedly been used to run the MAXNC-10 by various users - TurboCNC.

      I've been researching/testing for a few days though and still can't get any apparent signals from the program to the CNC, not even wrong ones. I discovered the patterns for the phases and input them into the axis-config menus, but still no response. I'm pretty sure that those are correct and that communication is failing at some other level - probably at some configure option that I am not yet aware of.

      Any help/advice/suggestions to get these two machines on speaking terms whould be greatly appreciated!

      -Elizabeth
    • lizzybeth_dot_net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 25, 2013
        Well, just as a follow up, I've resolved with issue with some help from the CNCzone forums.

        The problem was that I was trying to use TurboCNC on a machine running Windows XP. Even though XP can still run DOS software, it is only by emulation and does not give control over the computer's parallel port. This was why I could get signals to the machine from Mach3 but not from TurboCNC. Windows switched to DOS emulation after 98 so I downgraded the pc I was using to Windows 98 and now they appear to be communicating fine.

        -Elizabeth
      • Art Eckstein
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 25, 2013
          Elizabeth,
          I hope your booting to "Pure DOS" and not trying to run this through
          win98 as you could still be having problems if you are with the
          timing issues. When you boot up, you should be at the DOS prompt and
          not in windows.

          Art
          Country Bubba