Re: [turbocnc] Re: re configuration

  • diyexpert@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 24, 2012
      I'm pleased I can go forward with my project. The control of the printer port is vital to reading in a sensor. Windows based motion control systems are a bit wooley on response in this respect. I have had problems with USB based systems also. The systems are prone to the collapse of the USB port during machining. The only solution to that type of control is to run the part program from a an integrated SD card.
      Given the straightforward nature of turbocnc a project has a higher chance of success
      Clive
      Sent from my BlackBerry� smartphone on O2

      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 24, 2012
        Moving on. Has anyone attempted writing a unit for a MPG to jog the axis

      • Roland Jollivet
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 24, 2012
          There is very very little happening with the turbocnc code. The last update
          was promised two years ago. A few users have tidied up the code for bugs
          they found. If you buy the program, you get the source code.

          If you want to, and can program, the other similar DOS cnc program is
          cncPro. The source code is freely available off the group's files. It is
          far less popular than turbocnc, but you can edit and compile your own
          version as you wish.

          Roland

        • toolznglue
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 24, 2012
            On Dec 24, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Roland Jollivet <Roland.Jollivet@...> wrote:

            > There is very very little happening with the turbocnc code. The last update
            > was promised two years ago. A few users have tidied up the code for bugs
            > they found. If you buy the program, you get the source code.
            >
            > If you want to, and can program, the other similar DOS cnc program is
            > cncPro. The source code is freely available off the group's files. It is
            > far less popular than turbocnc, but you can edit and compile your own
            > version as you wish.

            I'll add a couple of things:

            1. There's also "Stepster" - a G-Code interpreter written using Microsoft Basic. Here's a URL: http://www.thegallos.com/stepster.htm

            2. Be careful if you are thinking of porting any of these programs to Windows. In some instances, you will find that you cannot achieve a robust stepper pulse train; in other cases, the program will simply not write anything to your output port even though it appears that the program is functioning. Mach (and others of its ilk) use a special driver that runs at the machine's top level to generate their pulse trains. You'll have to do something similar if you port TurboCNC, CNCPro, or Stepster to a Windows environment.

            3. Since it's getting to be about that time -- Here's wishing you all a Happy and Holy Christmas and a Blessed New Year.

            Jerry Jankura
            So many toys�. So little time�.

          • Roland Jollivet
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 24, 2012
              If anything, they should be ported to an Arm based board. Put the cct on
              the net, and ultimately, maybe, it will end up as an open source fanuc-like
              'box' that will stay current irrespective of PC developments. Add a PC
              based GUI via a Lan... mmm, it's all been discussed so many times already.

            • diyexpert@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 24, 2012
                Happy xmas to all
                Turkey is now cooked. Its 17.00 on xmas eve here in uk.

                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 24, 2012
                  The arduino based 3d printer firmware is close to what you desceribe. I have that running. Its just restricted in user interface. Also its limited to 3 axis
                  Clive
                  Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone on O2

                  If anything, they should be ported to an Arm based board. Put the cct on
                  the net, and ultimately, maybe, it will end up as an open source fanuc-like
                  'box' that will stay current irrespective of PC developments. Add a PC
                  based GUI via a Lan... mmm, it's all been discussed so many times already.

                  On 24 December 2012 18:04, toolznglue <toolznglue@...> wrote:

                  > On Dec 24, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Roland Jollivet <Roland.Jollivet@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > There is very very little happening with the turbocnc code. The last
                  > update
                  > > was promised two years ago. A few users have tidied up the code for bugs
                  > > they found. If you buy the program, you get the source code.
                  > >
                  > > If you want to, and can program, the other similar DOS cnc program is
                  > > cncPro. The source code is freely available off the group's files. It is
                  > > far less popular than turbocnc, but you can edit and compile your own
                  > > version as you wish.
                  >
                  > I'll add a couple of things:
                  >
                  > 1. There's also "Stepster" - a G-Code interpreter written using Microsoft
                  > Basic. Here's a URL: http://www.thegallos.com/stepster.htm
                  >
                  > 2. Be careful if you are thinking of porting any of these programs to
                  > Windows. In some instances, you will find that you cannot achieve a robust
                  > stepper pulse train; in other cases, the program will simply not write
                  > anything to your output port even though it appears that the program is
                  > functioning. Mach (and others of its ilk) use a special driver that runs at
                  > the machine's top level to generate their pulse trains. You'll have to do
                  > something similar if you port TurboCNC, CNCPro, or Stepster to a Windows
                  > environment.
                  >
                  > 3. Since it's getting to be about that time -- Here's wishing you all a
                  > Happy and Holy Christmas and a Blessed New Year.
                  >
                  > Jerry Jankura
                  > So many toys…. So little time….

                • David Knaack
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 24, 2012
                    I'm running my little mill on a 3D printer control board (Sanguinololu with
                    Pololu stepper drivers, running the Teacup (lacks G02/3 support) or Marlin
                    (arcs, but slower step rates), both compilable via Arduino). I think I
                    wrote a long time ago about the Windows-based software I was working on
                    that is based on TurboCNC's code but that is stripped down so that instead
                    of producing step pulses, it produces stripped-down gcode. It takes the
                    feature-rich gcode that TurboCNC uses and decodes it to very simply move
                    commands that the Sanguinololu can handle. The software part isn't done,
                    but the core functions are working.

                    The plan is to put a hobby RC brushless motor controller on it to run as a
                    direct-drive RPM-controlled spindle (one high-speed for jobs like milling
                    PCBs, and maybe a lower speed motor for heavier cutting in wood and
                    plastic).

                    I'm not sure how happy I am with it. It's a relatively cheap way to get a 3
                    axis machine moving, and all the hardware is open source, but if you hold
                    it up to what you get with a SmoothStepper and Mach3, it's pretty pale. For
                    best operation the firmware tends to rely pretty heavily on the PC host
                    (RepRap acceleration mode lets the PC structure the gcode stream so that
                    most of the acceleration can be handled on the host, but I'm running in the
                    ramp mode that works much like TurboCNC). If your time is worth anything,
                    you'd be better off just buying those. On the other hand, if you're doing
                    it because it's interesting and fun to share what you are doing with others
                    who are doing similar things, then it's time well-spent.

                    I have a recent picture of the setup on my blog if anyone is curious to see
                    it:
                    http://davestech.blogspot.com/2012/12/zen-toolworks-7x7-home-switches-and.html
                    There's a video of it running at the bottom of the page. Bonus points if
                    you recognize what it's drawing (sans-arcs).

                    DOK

                  • toolznglue
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 24, 2012
                      On Dec 24, 2012, at 11:04 AM, toolznglue <toolznglue@...> wrote:

                      > 1. There's also "Stepster" - a G-Code interpreter written using Microsoft Basic. Here's a URL:http://www.thegallos.com/stepster.htm

                      Ooops .... Make that "PowerBasic" the program that was reincarnated from TurboBasic

                      Jerry Jankura
                      So many toys�. So little time�.

                    • toolznglue
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 24, 2012
                        On Dec 24, 2012, at 11:47 AM, Roland Jollivet <Roland.Jollivet@...> wrote:

                        > If anything, they should be ported to an Arm based board. Put the cct on
                        > the net, and ultimately, maybe, it will end up as an open source fanuc-like
                        > 'box' that will stay current irrespective of PC developments. Add a PC
                        > based GUI via a Lan... mmm, it's all been discussed so many times already.

                        If you're looking for something like that, take a look at GRBL, which is a G-Code interpreter that runs on an Arduino UNO board. I've downloaded the source and got it to compile using the Arduino "MPIDE" system, but haven't gone any further. As I understand, the amount of G-Code is limited by the speed and memory capabilities of the Amtel chip on the Arduino. But, a combo of GRBL on the Arduino and a "driver" on a real computer could make a good combination.

                        Jerry Jankura
                        So many toys�. So little time�.

                      • Roland Jollivet
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 24, 2012
                          Thanks for that. Will look. The idea would be to trickle feed the gcode in
                          any case. 232 will be easy and fast enough for that.

                          On 24 December 2012 21:32, toolznglue <toolznglue@...> wrote:

                          > On Dec 24, 2012, at 11:47 AM, Roland Jollivet <Roland.Jollivet@...>
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > > If anything, they should be ported to an Arm based board. Put the cct on
                          > > the net, and ultimately, maybe, it will end up as an open source
                          > fanuc-like
                          > > 'box' that will stay current irrespective of PC developments. Add a PC
                          > > based GUI via a Lan... mmm, it's all been discussed so many times
                          > already.
                          >
                          > If you're looking for something like that, take a look at GRBL, which is a
                          > G-Code interpreter that runs on an Arduino UNO board. I've downloaded the
                          > source and got it to compile using the Arduino "MPIDE" system, but haven't
                          > gone any further. As I understand, the amount of G-Code is limited by the
                          > speed and memory capabilities of the Amtel chip on the Arduino. But, a
                          > combo of GRBL on the Arduino and a "driver" on a real computer could make a
                          > good combination.
                          >
                          > Jerry Jankura
                          > So many toys�. So little time�.

                        • David Knaack
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 24, 2012
                            Also don't miss the projects that have been branched from GRBL, Teacup,
                            Marlin, Sprinter, Repetere, etc. These are aimed at 3D printers, so there
                            is code in there that you won't typically need for a mill, but they also
                            tend to support more features, like endstops, a variety of choices for
                            acceleration modes, LCD displays, and SD card support (so it runs with no
                            connection to a PC, which is where the LCD comes in handy).