Re: TurboCNC and Denford Triac

  • ew828@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 8, 2012
      Good morning Art
      I've been on the Denford forum and found out that my machine has been retrofitted - all the old electronics has beemn replaced and communication is now via a parallel port instead of a serial.

      I've got the details for the Steppermotors and leadscrews but am having difficulties with the turbocnc.ini file
      For example
      How is the StepIncrement defined and what are the units
      Acceleration in/min/min or mm/sec/sec or what ever.
      What are the definitions of all the variable in fact?
      Hope you can help
      regards
      Ewart

      this is and extract:
      [AXIS1]
      Designator=X
      StepIncrement= 3.12500000000000E-0005
      IsLinear=True
      IsStep/Dir=True
      PortAddress=$378
      StepPin=2
      IsActiveLow=False
      Pulsewidth=20
      DirPin=3
      LowIsPositive=False
      Acceleration= 5.00000000000000E+0003
      StartSpeed= 2.50000000000000E+0002
      MaxSpeed= 8.00000000000000E+0003
      ABSPrescale= 1.00000000000000E+0000
      Motor Resolution= 200
      Leadscrew Pitch=20.0
      Controller Microsteps= 1
      Gear Reduction= 1.0000

      --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@...> wrote:

      > Ewart,
      > I can't really help you without being there to help you reverse
      > engineer things. Screw pitch should be able to be figured out with
      > the aid of a scale and counting threads or measuring pitch.
      > I however did a bit of googling and came up with this forum that may
      > be of some help to you if you have the model number etc.
      >
      > http://www.denfordata.com/bb/index.php
      >
      > Art
      > Country bubba
      >

      > At 01:37 PM 10/27/2012, you wrote:
      > >Good evening Art
      > >what I forgot to say was that I do not have the information about
      > >the Triac - leadscrew pitches, stepper motor steps/revolution abd
      > >the parallel port pin data etc.
      > >I have the latest version of TurboCNC
      > >
      > >Ewart
      > >
      > >--- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Ewart,
      > > > You say the computer came with Turbocnc on it? Does it have an ini
      > > > file already???
      > > > You can start/edit the ini file by using the commands under the
      > > > Configure menu. Start at the top to set the number of axis and work
      > > > your way down the menu setting up (enabling) the various features you
      > > > can use and ignore the rest. Make sure you use the proper parallel
      > > > port designation and most importantly be sure to save your results.
      > > > You can also if you want to make minor changes etc edit the file
      > > > directly in notepad or other similar program. Again be sure to save
      > > > the result. Then before you can run Turbocnc, you must reset the port
      > > > or restart turbocnc. There is some good information in the
      > > > documentation that can be downloaded from the dak site.
      > > >
      > > > Which version of Turbocnc do you have?
      > > >
      > > > Hope this helps and if you need more specific information, please ask.
      > > >
      > > > Art
      > > > Country bubba

    • Art Eckstein
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 8, 2012
        Good Morning Ewart,

        Been a long time since I set one up from scratch so some of my
        answers might be off. If so fuss at me and we will try to figure out
        any problems.

        Not knowing where you are, I don't know if you work in imperial or
        metric. Turbocnc can do either.
        Initially it will work in Imperial units, but you can set the native
        units to metric if desired by:
        Opening the Config menu and selecting "Set Native Units to Metric"
        and then the screens will be in metric.
        You are then presented with a dialogue box wanting you to confirm or
        cancel this operation.
        You can also toggle the working units by going to "Setup" and then
        "Toggle Working Units"

        NOTE: You can navigate using the keyboard (using the <Alt>+<Colored
        Character>), or if you have a mouse driver installed, using a mouse.
        The definition of the working units is handled as noted above to
        switch between either Imperial or Metric.
        All of my machines use imperial so the units for step increment is in
        "inches" for the step increment in linear movement and degrees
        (decimal) for angular movement.
        Acceleration is in Hz/s and velocity is in Hz

        The best way to observe this is through the configuration of the axis
        screens. Once values are entered into the appropriate places, it will
        show the values in appropriate units beneath this area.
        As to setting up the initial steps per unit, use the calc button on
        the config axis screen to get in the ballpark. I say ballpark as the
        final number may vary due to tolerances in your lead screw etc and
        you will need to measure actual movement distances and adjust
        accordingly. As for the setting of the speeds/accelerations, I have
        always been advised to start slow and increase the speed varialble
        (with an initial low acceleration value) until you lose steps and
        back off the value by about 20%. Repeat doing the same process with
        acceleration.

        Hope this helps.

        Art
        Country Bubba

      • ew828@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
          Hi Art
          we have moved on a bit and now have all the axes moving in the correct directions and the correct amount both when jogging and running a GCode file.
          Our problem now is the feed rates.

          We are metric and the feedrate in the GCode file is F600 which is 600 mm/minute (translated by VCarvePro 6.5 from 10 mm/second).

          The problem is that the machine does not move at this feed rate but very much slower. I have looked at the .INI file but cannot see any variable to change to speed up the machine.

          Any ideas?

          regards
          Ewart
        • Art Eckstein
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
            Ewart,
            Grabbing at straws here, but what do you have the maximum velocity
            set at in your configuration for each axis???

            Arty
            Country Bubba

            At 07:21 AM 2/18/2013, you wrote:

            >Hi Art
            >we have moved on a bit and now have all the axes moving in the
            >correct directions and the correct amount both when jogging and
            >running a GCode file.
            >Our problem now is the feed rates.
            >
            >We are metric and the feedrate in the GCode file is F600 which is
            >600 mm/minute (translated by VCarvePro 6.5 from 10 mm/second).
            >
            >The problem is that the machine does not move at this feed rate but
            >very much slower. I have looked at the .INI file but cannot see any
            >variable to change to speed up the machine.
            >
            >Any ideas?
            >
            >regards
            >Ewart
          • jeremy youngs
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
              g20 or g21?
              did you put a . after your feed rate?
              did you use g1 to call up linear interpolation ?
              I.E is your g code solid?
              --
              jeremy youngs