TurboCNC setup with 3 axis xylotex - 169oz/in steppers - 1/4-20 screws

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 15, 2012
      Hello Gang,

      This has probably been asked and answered (many times) before, but a quick search didn't yield the results I was hoping for.

      I just put together a 24" x 48" router. For now, I've moved my cnc setup from a MUCH smaller machine onto the new router.

      It works well (reliably accurate), but pretty slow.

      CNC setup is:
      TurboCNC
      xylotex 3 axis
      169oz/in steppers
      1/4 - 20 lead screws

      I'm at work now, so I don't have my .ini file handy, but my "rapids" are in the 15ipm range.

      Does anyone have any experience with how high the max speed, accel and other settings for *roughly* this setup? I'm not looking to set any records, but higher reliable speed without missed steps would be awesome.

      If there are some specific previous posts that address roughly this setup, then I'd be most grateful if someone could direct me.

      Thank you one and all

      Steve
    • Jerry Jankura
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 15, 2012
        The rapid speed that you're achieving seems reasonable for the motors and screws that you're using. You might want to use a screw with a pitch of 5 or 10 tpi instead of 20 tpi.

        On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:47 PM, Steve wrote:

        > This has probably been asked and answered (many times) before, but a quick search didn't yield the results I was hoping for.
        >
        > I just put together a 24" x 48" router. For now, I've moved my cnc setup from a MUCH smaller machine onto the new router.
        >
        > It works well (reliably accurate), but pretty slow.
        >
        > CNC setup is:
        > TurboCNC
        > xylotex 3 axis
        > 169oz/in steppers
        > 1/4 - 20 lead screws
        >
        > I'm at work now, so I don't have my .ini file handy, but my "rapids" are in the 15ipm range.
        >
        > Does anyone have any experience with how high the max speed, accel and other settings for *roughly* this setup? I'm not looking to set any records, but higher reliable speed without missed steps would be awesome.

        Jerry Jankura
        Abstract art is a product of the untalented, sold by the unprincipled to the utterly bewildered - Al Capp

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15, 2012
          Thanks Jerry,

          Yeah, I was hoping for a magic solution, using what I had laying around AND more speed. I 'spose patience is what I really need!

          Thanks for the response

          Steve

          --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Jankura <toolznglue@...> wrote:

          > The rapid speed that you're achieving seems reasonable for the motors and screws that you're using. You might want to use a screw with a pitch of 5 or 10 tpi instead of 20 tpi.
          >
          > On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:47 PM, Steve wrote:
          >
          > > This has probably been asked and answered (many times) before, but a quick search didn't yield the results I was hoping for.
          > >
          > > I just put together a 24" x 48" router. For now, I've moved my cnc setup from a MUCH smaller machine onto the new router.
          > >
          > > It works well (reliably accurate), but pretty slow.
          > >
          > > CNC setup is:
          > > TurboCNC
          > > xylotex 3 axis
          > > 169oz/in steppers
          > > 1/4 - 20 lead screws
          > >
          > > I'm at work now, so I don't have my .ini file handy, but my "rapids" are in the 15ipm range.
          > >
          > > Does anyone have any experience with how high the max speed, accel and other settings for *roughly* this setup? I'm not looking to set any records, but higher reliable speed without missed steps would be awesome.
          >
          > Jerry Jankura
          > Abstract art is a product of the untalented, sold by the unprincipled to the utterly bewildered - Al Capp

        • Roland Jollivet
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 15, 2012
            In an hour, load XP and Mach3 on the machine. Then go to 'motor tuning' and
            drag the cursor on acceleration and max speed on the graphic while jogging
            to see the result. It's brilliant for the immediate feedback. When you're
            done, record the values.

            Then erase the drive and load Dos back, unless you're sold ;-)

            If you're at work, download mach3 and put it the machine to see the 'motor
            tuning' under 'config'

            Regards
            Roland

            On 16 March 2012 02:47, Steve <sidi_steve@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hello Gang,
            >
            > This has probably been asked and answered (many times) before, but a quick
            > search didn't yield the results I was hoping for.
            >
            > I just put together a 24" x 48" router. For now, I've moved my cnc setup
            > from a MUCH smaller machine onto the new router.
            >
            > It works well (reliably accurate), but pretty slow.
            >
            > CNC setup is:
            > TurboCNC
            > xylotex 3 axis
            > 169oz/in steppers
            > 1/4 - 20 lead screws
            >
            > I'm at work now, so I don't have my .ini file handy, but my "rapids" are
            > in the 15ipm range.
            >
            > Does anyone have any experience with how high the max speed, accel and
            > other settings for *roughly* this setup? I'm not looking to set any
            > records, but higher reliable speed without missed steps would be awesome.
            >
            > If there are some specific previous posts that address roughly this setup,
            > then I'd be most grateful if someone could direct me.
            >
            > Thank you one and all
            >
            > Steve

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 27, 2012
              I meant to say "Thank you" for this advice. It might not be practical for me at this point. I wonder how many floppys it would take to get XP on that machine. However, I do have other machines in the garage. one of 'em is sure to have XP already. That would be a fun experiment.

              For now, just seeing who has done what with turboCNC and older xylotex board

              thank you

              Steve

              --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, Roland Jollivet <Roland.Jollivet@...> wrote:

              > In an hour, load XP and Mach3 on the machine. Then go to 'motor tuning' and
              > drag the cursor on acceleration and max speed on the graphic while jogging
              > to see the result. It's brilliant for the immediate feedback. When you're
              > done, record the values.
              >
              > Then erase the drive and load Dos back, unless you're sold ;-)
              >
              > If you're at work, download mach3 and put it the machine to see the 'motor
              > tuning' under 'config'
              >
              > Regards
              > Roland
              >

              > On 16 March 2012 02:47, Steve <sidi_steve@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Hello Gang,
              > >
              > > This has probably been asked and answered (many times) before, but a quick
              > > search didn't yield the results I was hoping for.
              > >
              > > I just put together a 24" x 48" router. For now, I've moved my cnc setup
              > > from a MUCH smaller machine onto the new router.
              > >
              > > It works well (reliably accurate), but pretty slow.
              > >
              > > CNC setup is:
              > > TurboCNC
              > > xylotex 3 axis
              > > 169oz/in steppers
              > > 1/4 - 20 lead screws
              > >
              > > I'm at work now, so I don't have my .ini file handy, but my "rapids" are
              > > in the 15ipm range.
              > >
              > > Does anyone have any experience with how high the max speed, accel and
              > > other settings for *roughly* this setup? I'm not looking to set any
              > > records, but higher reliable speed without missed steps would be awesome.
              > >
              > > If there are some specific previous posts that address roughly this setup,
              > > then I'd be most grateful if someone could direct me.
              > >
              > > Thank you one and all
              > >
              > > Steve

            • jeffalanp
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2012
                Hi,

                If you are running at 24VDC, and your power supply can be adjusted (many switching power supplies can), then try adjusting the voltage up to around 27.5 volts. While this will only give a few percent speed increase, it's worth a try. The maximum running voltage of the drive is 30VDC, while the abs. max. is 35VDC, so if you can get up to just under (but not over) 30VDC it will help. The head room between 30 and 35 volts is for deceleration voltage spike, etc. so keep it there.

                Another thing you can try is to add inertial dampers to the motors, if you have dual shaft motors. Extra vibrations can sap power out of the motor and not allow it to be delivered to the equipment. You can make dampers yourself (there are many examples to be found on the net).

                Jeff
                www.xylotex.com