[turbocnc] news?

  • Roland Jollivet
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 18, 2012
      Just curious if there was any further update on the new release.

      Regards
      Roland

    • Art Eckstein
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 18, 2012
        I haven't heard anything:{(
        I did get an email from Dave, so know he is still hanging in there.
        Maybe he will jump in and let us know?"

        art
        Country Bubba

        AM 2/18/2012, you wrote:
        >Just curious if there was any further update on the new release.
        >
        >Regards
        >Roland
      • Statman Designs
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 23, 2012
          I don't understand how you guys could possibly think there is a new software release coming...It has been years and years and years, virtually an eternity in today's world.

          Dan.

          AM 2/18/2012, you wrote:
          >Just curious if there was any further update on the new release.
          >
          >Regards
          >Roland

        • Art Eckstein
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 23, 2012
            Well, in that case, I guess I will have to do my
            own thing! This is ONE of the reasons I chose Turbocnc in the first place.
            Dave is a good guy and I have hopes that he will
            produce an update. However, over the years since
            the last production, I have made several changes
            for my own use BECAUSE I have the source code.
            Try doing that with most of the others out there!
            Besides, Dave has indicated that he is working on
            one when he can. I can emphasize with him on some
            of the problems he has had and anybody else might have just given up.
            MY 2ยข

            Art
            Country bubba

            At 06:01 PM 2/23/2012, you wrote:
            >I don't understand how you guys could possibly
            >think there is a new software release
            >coming...It has been years and years and years,
            >virtually an eternity in today's world.
            >
            >Dan.
          • Jerry Jankura
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 23, 2012
              Hi, Art:

              I think that you're thinking of the word "empathize" rather than "emphasize" in your response to Dan Statman.

              I'd be curious how many of us on this list have moved onto some other software with hopes of moving back to TurboCNC once Dave releases an improved version. I've been playing with EMC and am looking at the grbl package for the Arduino boards. Personally, I think one of the major issues with TurboCNC is the demise of the parallel printer port that it uses to interface with a motor drive. I think the other issue is that it's written in Pascal rather than in C. I've got nothing against Pascal - stuff I'd written in Pascal or Delphi put bread and butter on my table before i retired - except that most of the microcontrollers that may be suitable for the home CNC market have C or C++ compilers available, but not Pascal.

              Of course, I'm still hanging onto a HP notebook computer that has a PCMCIA based parallel printer port just for the occasion with TurboCNC is updated!

              On Feb 23, 2012, at 6:12 PM, Art Eckstein wrote:

              > I can emphasize with him on some
              > of the problems he has had and anybody else might have just given up.

              Jerry Jankura
              Abstract art is a product of the untalented, sold by the unprincipled to the utterly bewildered - Al Capp

            • samcoinc2001
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 24, 2012
                I moved from turbocnc (I did pay for the source code of turbocnc) to linuxcnc quite a while ago. It is open source with a ton more bells and whistles. It was first put on a large stepper gantry router we had. This really gave us a feel on how it worked and how flexible it is. Next was this..

                http://electronicsam.com/images/KandT/oldkandt.JPG

                This is a HMC with analog servo drives, tool changer and pallets. Linuxcnc worked awesome and did everything I needed it to to.

                Take a look at some of the videos

                http://www.youtube.com/user/samcoinc/videos

                Turbocnc was an awesome learning tool that showed us what was possible. Linuxcnc really was the tool that made it possible for us. Sure it runs on a bit more powerful hardware - but that stuff is out there now too for free or cheap. It will work for your basic printer port step/dir machines all the way up to large machining centers (lathes included)

                http://www.linuxcnc.org/

                sam

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 24, 2012
                  Hi Sam

                  On that old machine...
                  Are covers missing, or does coolant spray just slop all over the floor. I
                  see trays, but they can't be too effective.

                  And the box ways, is lubricant pumped into them? It looks like that will
                  run onto the floor too.

                  I have an old Japanese Kiru Kikai production lathe, and I can't imagine how
                  they used it without ending up with buckets of coolant all over the floor.

                  Regards
                  Roland

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 24, 2012
                    Yes - That machine was deliverd in 68'. I don't think they thought much about coolant control then. It does have a drip tray and we usually just setup shields to keep coolant in check. Like..

                    http://electronicsam.com/images/KandT/testing/DSC_1826.JPG

                    It is challenging to say the least. the way it was originally setup is the coolant drained back to a sump in the concrete floor. Way oil and everything. We have not gotten the chip conveyor back in which would help. We have kicked around ideas for an enclosure but have not decided on one.

                    Thanks for looking :)
                    sam

                    --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, Roland Jollivet <Roland.Jollivet@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Sam
                    >
                    > On that old machine...
                    > Are covers missing, or does coolant spray just slop all over the floor. I
                    > see trays, but they can't be too effective.
                    >
                    > And the box ways, is lubricant pumped into them? It looks like that will
                    > run onto the floor too.
                    >
                    > I have an old Japanese Kiru Kikai production lathe, and I can't imagine how
                    > they used it without ending up with buckets of coolant all over the floor.
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Roland
                    >

                    > On 24 February 2012 16:57, samcoinc2001 <samcoinc2001@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > I moved from turbocnc (I did pay for the source code of turbocnc) to
                    > > linuxcnc quite a while ago. It is open source with a ton more bells and
                    > > whistles. It was first put on a large stepper gantry router we had. This
                    > > really gave us a feel on how it worked and how flexible it is. Next was
                    > > this..
                    > >
                    > > http://electronicsam.com/images/KandT/oldkandt.JPG
                    > >
                    > > This is a HMC with analog servo drives, tool changer and pallets. Linuxcnc
                    > > worked awesome and did everything I needed it to to.
                    > >
                    > > Take a look at some of the videos
                    > >
                    > > http://www.youtube.com/user/samcoinc/videos
                    > >
                    > > Turbocnc was an awesome learning tool that showed us what was possible.
                    > > Linuxcnc really was the tool that made it possible for us. Sure it runs on
                    > > a bit more powerful hardware - but that stuff is out there now too for free
                    > > or cheap. It will work for your basic printer port step/dir machines all
                    > > the way up to large machining centers (lathes included)
                    > >
                    > > http://www.linuxcnc.org/
                    > >
                    > > sam
                    > >

                    > > --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Jankura <toolznglue@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi, Art:
                    > > >
                    > > > I think that you're thinking of the word "empathize" rather than
                    > > "emphasize" in your response to Dan Statman.
                    > > >
                    > > > I'd be curious how many of us on this list have moved onto some other
                    > > software with hopes of moving back to TurboCNC once Dave releases an
                    > > improved version. I've been playing with EMC and am looking at the grbl
                    > > package for the Arduino boards. Personally, I think one of the major issues
                    > > with TurboCNC is the demise of the parallel printer port that it uses to
                    > > interface with a motor drive. I think the other issue is that it's written
                    > > in Pascal rather than in C. I've got nothing against Pascal - stuff I'd
                    > > written in Pascal or Delphi put bread and butter on my table before i
                    > > retired - except that most of the microcontrollers that may be suitable for
                    > > the home CNC market have C or C++ compilers available, but not Pascal.
                    > > >
                    > > > Of course, I'm still hanging onto a HP notebook computer that has a
                    > > PCMCIA based parallel printer port just for the occasion with TurboCNC is
                    > > updated!

                    > > > Jerry Jankura
                    > > > Abstract art is a product of the untalented, sold by the unprincipled to
                    > > the utterly bewildered - Al Capp

                  • fred pick
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 24, 2012
                      Thanks,SAM I'll go and do some reading......