Vinyl cutting with turbo 3.2

  • malenudge@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2012
      Hi all,
      Is there a line or lines of code that I need to add when cutting vinyl so that the corners cut how they are ment to. I have found that as the knife turns the corner it "lags behind" so any rounded corner get deformed.

      Any help on this would be great!
      Thanks Chris
    • frxdy@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2012
        In a message dated 1/18/2012 8:25:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        malenudge@... writes:

        Hi all,
        Is there a line or lines of code that I need to add when cutting vinyl so
        that the corners cut how they are ment to. I have found that as the knife
        turns the corner it "lags behind" so any rounded corner get deformed.
        .
        .

        Perhaps I missed an earlier post.... Can you give a little more info?
        What are you using as a blade holder? Software? You are cutting vinyl to make
        signs? What angle blade are you using and what kind of vinyl? (cast,
        calendared, reflective?)

      • Tony Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 18, 2012
          > Hi all,
          > Is there a line or lines of code that I need to add when cutting vinyl so
          that the
          > corners cut how they are ment to. I have found that as the knife turns the
          > corner it "lags behind" so any rounded corner get deformed.
          >
          > Any help on this would be great!
          > Thanks Chris

          TurboCNC doesn't have it, but you're looking for 'offset value'.

          As you know where the blade cuts lags a bit behind where the blade is, say
          by 0.2mm. Say you're cutting a square (90 degree) corner, going up then
          turning right. What vinyl cutting software does is move up an extra 0.2mm
          (so the blade is now at the right spot to go across), then move back down
          0.2mm (the blade stays), then moves right.

          An easy fix is to put tiny little radiuses on your squares, or put little
          loops in; so you cut up, loop anti-clockwise, then cut right. Think of
          off-ramps on highways that loop back around. The little loop doesn't get
          cut, it just causes the blade to spin (which is what the vinyl cutters do).

          That's why vinyl cutters usually have their own software, or at least their
          own pre-processors to put those little offsets in. They also handle where
          if you do a cut upwards, lift the knife, move back and do another cut it may
          be that 0.2mm out. It's a bit like backlash compensation, except it happens
          in every direction, not just one.

          Tony