Re: [turbocnc] TurboCNC to control ultrasonic welder?

  • Slavko Kocjancic
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2010
      S, mmurray701 piše:
      > I need to find a way to automate and ultrasonic plastic welder and im thinking that turbocnc might do the trick but i have a few questions.
      >
      > First of all the welder is used to weld together a plastic ball (in two halfs before welding) containing chemicals. Im going to have a rotating table (thinking of powering this with a stepper motor) with 4 positons. One for welding, one for placing the bottom of the balls, one for filling the bottoms with the chemical and one for placing the tops onto the filled bottoms. After each step is complete the table rotates 90 degrees and starts over.
      >
      > My questions are:
      >
      > 1. Can I use the spindle on and coolant on outputs to close relays which i can use to trigger then welder and chemical dispenser?
      100% you can do that
      > 2. Since this is going to run incrementally in one direction for thousands of cycles, will i loose steps or slowly creep out of position with the stepper motor?
      Rotary axis goes from 0 to 390 degres then rollover. So should be no problem
      > 3. What about a home switch? Does anything happen when you hit a home switch when you are NOT trying to home the machine? Im going to be hitting the home switch and going past it every four cycles on my rotating table.
      Actualy you can use that switch if you afraid to lose steps. the 1'st 3
      stations are just 90 degres ahead and the last one is not achived as 90
      degre forward but HOME. To answer the question the home switch is used
      only for homing (if isn't shared by you wishes)
      > 4. Is there a cycle start button input or do you have to use the keyboard every time? I read the manual and didnt see one. Doesnt seem like a great idea on a high production machine. Is there any way around this?

      Hmm about that I'm not sure. Maybe the probe input can be used for that.
    • mmurray701

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2010
          Before we teach someone how to package poison into a throw & break
          container, I'd like to ask what chemicals & what's the use? Assuming this is a
          legal venture, will these chemicals survive the high temperatures of the
          welding process?

        • steve
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 3, 2010
            On 12/2/2010 10:43 PM, Slavko Kocjancic wrote:
            > S, mmurray701 piše:
            >> 4. Is there a cycle start button input or do you have to use the keyboard every time? I read the manual and didnt see one. Doesnt seem like a great idea on a high production machine. Is there any way around this?
            >>
            > Hmm about that I'm not sure. Maybe the probe input can be used for that.

            There are two quick and easy ways I know of. You can buy mini key boards
            where you can label the keys any thing you want, some are even sealed.
            They plug into the normal keyboard plug on the computer and the buttons
            can be programmed to be what ever key you need them to be. Another
            option is to open up a keyboard and attach wires to whatever keys you
            want to have as controls, running the wires out to a sealed control box
            some where with sealed switches.
          • mmurray701
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2010
              --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, steve <s.bromley@...> wrote:

              > On 12/2/2010 10:43 PM, Slavko Kocjancic wrote:
              > > S, mmurray701 piše:
              > >> 4. Is there a cycle start button input or do you have to use the keyboard every time? I read the manual and didnt see one. Doesnt seem like a great idea on a high production machine. Is there any way around this?
              > >>
              > > Hmm about that I'm not sure. Maybe the probe input can be used for that.
              > >

              > There are two quick and easy ways I know of. You can buy mini key boards
              > where you can label the keys any thing you want, some are even sealed.
              > They plug into the normal keyboard plug on the computer and the buttons
              > can be programmed to be what ever key you need them to be. Another
              > option is to open up a keyboard and attach wires to whatever keys you
              > want to have as controls, running the wires out to a sealed control box
              > some where with sealed switches.

              The process is already in place and running with a single station at the welder where every step takes place, were just looking to automate it to be more efficient since its very slow right now.

              So how do I go from the 5v output from the parrallel port to closing a relay? Can i get a 5v relay or do i need something in between to bump up the current?

              Would be great if i could use probe input for cycle start, anybody else have any idea if this could work? About the keyboard thing, i guess it could be done but it sounds like a pain. Do the keys work as switches or as little capacitors? I thought i read something about that before one time.
            • Slavko Kocjancic
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2010
                S, mmurray701 piše:

                > --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, steve<s.bromley@...> wrote:
                >>>>
                >>> Hmm about that I'm not sure. Maybe the probe input can be used for that.
                >>>

                >> There are two quick and easy ways I know of. You can buy mini key boards
                >> where you can label the keys any thing you want, some are even sealed.
                >> They plug into the normal keyboard plug on the computer and the buttons
                >> can be programmed to be what ever key you need them to be. Another
                >> option is to open up a keyboard and attach wires to whatever keys you
                >> want to have as controls, running the wires out to a sealed control box
                >> some where with sealed switches.
                >>
                > The process is already in place and running with a single station at the welder where every step takes place, were just looking to automate it to be more efficient since its very slow right now.
                >
                > So how do I go from the 5v output from the parrallel port to closing a relay? Can i get a 5v relay or do i need something in between to bump up the current?
                You nedd to use some kind of amplifyer (transistor) as port signal is
                way to weak.

                > Would be great if i could use probe input for cycle start, anybody else have any idea if this could work? About the keyboard thing, i guess it could be done but it sounds like a pain. Do the keys work as switches or as little capacitors? I thought i read something about that before one time.

                You can route bask some signal (like relay output) to the printer port
                signal. The question is how to use it inside software.
              • timbomotorcycle
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2010
                  You can take a cheap key board apart,locate the buttons you wish to use and trace them down to the processor chip in the key board. once you find the ones to use simply drill a tiny hole through the bus crape the coating off until you see shinny copper and solder some small wires to them then hook them to a momentary switch. Worked great for me. R=run p= pause s= restart
                  Tim

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2010
                    Also I forgot to say you can loose the rest of the key board and just keep the processor.
                    Tim

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 6, 2010
                      I just do quick check in manual and find two input pin of interest here...

                      Block Hold

                      (Input) When active, TurboCNC will not execute the next block in the CNC
                      program. Could be used as a single step control.

                      Start Inhibit

                      (Input) When active, TurboCNC will not start executing a CNC program.
                      Could be used to allow a raw materials handler to remove completed part
                      from machine and insert new raw material.

                      So I think that is all nedded. No ripping off keyboards.

                    • Slavko Kocjancic
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 6, 2010
                        S, Slavko Kocjancic pis(e:
                        > I just do quick check in manual and find two input pin of interest here...
                        >
                        > Block Hold
                        >

                        > (Input) When active, TurboCNC will not execute the next block in the CNC
                        > program. Could be used as a single step control.
                        >
                        > Start Inhibit
                        >

                        > (Input) When active, TurboCNC will not start executing a CNC program.
                        > Could be used to allow a raw materials handler to remove completed part
                        > from machine and insert new raw material.
                        >

                        > So I think that is all nedded. No ripping off keyboards.

                        and even more here....

                        M72 Wait for PLC handshake input to go inactive

                        _Function_: Wait for PLC handshake input to go inactive

                        _Notes_:

                        When this code is called, the program stops running and waits for the
                        PLC input line (separate from the output line) to go to the inactive
                        state. This is intended to be used to synchronize the program with
                        external logic that might be loading more stock, or performing some
                        other function.

                        M73 Wait for PLC handshake input to go active

                        _Function_: Wait for PLC handshake input to go active

                        _Notes_:

                        Similar to M72, this pauses until the PLC line goes to the active state.
                        With either of these two codes, the user can press a key to bypass the
                        wait condition.

                      • mmurray701
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 16, 2010
                          Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I have a few options for the cycle start thing.

                          Can anybody reccomend a good stepper motor thats a good match to the gecko drives? I was thinking about Nema 34 mount but it seems like there are all sorts of sizes and torque ranges available. If i buy one with a super high torque is that going to limit my top rpm more? What range should i look for to get best avaialable performance when running a standard gecko drive. Power supply will probably be in the 60-70v range. Thanks