TurboCNC5

  • on6jg
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 6, 2009
      Hello,
      Allready eight months passed by since the last update on Turbocnc5. My last comments on a defective text were not even considered.
      The Fixture and Tools managing are not working. As I planned to use the software on a lathe with a Tool Turret I do need the updates rather urgently.
      Are you planning to take it as long as it takes turbocnc4.01 to be updated?
      Or will it never be updated again as D.K. says, quote:

      "I'll probably pull the v5 beta off the site soon though - it was a nice experiment but the response from the "fans" was pretty unanimous to stay with DOS for the time being.
      -Dave Kowalczyk" unquote.

      If it was only a nice experiment and nothing more can I get my money back?
    • Jeff Demand
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 6, 2009
        on6jg,

        For someone without a real name you sure bitch a lot.

        Regular Turbo is a pure dos program, lots of us are quite comfortable with
        a C: prompt, and probably rightfully scared of a windows logon screen on a
        machine tool.

        V5 is as I understand a win version being ported over by some folks in
        Brazil, not Dave's work at all.

        jeffD

        >Allready eight months passed by since the last update on Turbocnc5. My
        >last comments on a defective text were not even considered.
        >The Fixture and Tools managing are not working. As I planned to use the
        >software on a lathe with a Tool Turret I do need the updates rather
        >urgently.
        >Are you planning to take it as long as it takes turbocnc4.01 to be
        updated?
        >Or will it never be updated again as D.K. says, quote:
        >
        >"I'll probably pull the v5 beta off the site soon though - it was a nice
        >experiment but the response from the "fans" was pretty unanimous to stay
        >with DOS for the time being.
        >-Dave Kowalczyk" unquote.
        >
        >If it was only a nice experiment and nothing more can I get my money back?

        -
        Demand Designs
        Analog/Digital Modelling & Goldsmithing

        http://www.gmavt.net/~jdemand
        jdemand@...
        -
      • Jerry Jankura
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 6, 2009
          On Dec 6, 2009, at 3:56 PM, Jeff Demand wrote:

          > For someone without a real name you sure bitch a lot.
          >
          > Regular Turbo is a pure dos program, lots of us are quite comfortable with
          > a C: prompt, and probably rightfully scared of a windows logon screen on a
          > machine tool.
          >
          > V5 is as I understand a win version being ported over by some folks in
          > Brazil, not Dave's work at all.

          Here's the URL for the Brazilian site:

          <http://www.turbocnc.com.br/index.php?lang=EN>

          Perhaps you can find an E-Mail address so you can post your questions directly to the developer. BTW, If I remember correctly, if you registered your copy of the Windows version, you paid that developer directly. If you registered V4, you paid Dave directly; but I seem to recall that the Windows version was to be a new product, and not part of his "free updates for the life of the program" deal for the DOS version.

          Yes, it's sad that we haven't seen a Windows version of TurboCNC other than the Brazilian V5 as many of us would like to work in the Windows environment. I'm sure that Dave expected that the Windows version would be developed faster than it has been - perhaps A.S.T. either lost interest or encountered some issues that they were unable to solve. I don't know.

          If anyone E-Mails A.S.T. we'd all appreciate their sharing A.S.T.'s reply.

          There are a couple of other choices if you wish to stick with DOS as your operating system - There's CNCPro which is now available - including source code - with Yeager's blessings at groups.yahoo.com/group/CNCPro. Compared to TurboCNC, CNCPro's human interface is poor (IMHO) but its motion routines are better.

          There's also CNCZeus - <www.cnczeus.com> which is available for $100 USD. Though I've downloaded the demo copy, I've yet to use it. So I can't really comment on it.

          If you really want to move over to a Windows environment, there's Mach - again not a free download - which I've not tried.

          Or, if you're willing to work with a Linux based system, there's EMC - Enhanced Machine Controller - which is available as a "live download" disk image. You simply download it, boot from the CD and try it. If you like it, you can install from the live CD. I've been using EMC for quite a while and am quite happy with it. It requires a more powerful machine than any of the DOS G-Code interpreters, but nothing as powerful as Mach, primarily because Linux doesn't have Windows' hearty appetite for CPU cycles. I'm using a Cybernet Elite-II "PC in a keyboard" that I purchased used a couple of years ago. The particular computer has a 1.6 GHz pentium, 512 Mbytes of PC133 memory, a CD drive, parallel printer port, and 4 USB connectors. When I purchased it, the cost was $119 USD. To that, I added a LCD screen monitor. I've been quite happy with that combination. I've got reasonable speed and like the nice smooth motion - even on arcs that pass through one of the axes.

          Jerry Jankura
          So many toys.... So little time....
        • Roland Jollivet
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 6, 2009
            You might want to try Mach out. (for free)
            Download and install. It allows you to run 100 lines or so, but notice the
            versatility of setting things up.
            I find the servo tuning part great. It allows you to quickly determine
            speeds/acceleration on your steppers.

            Now, if anyone can understand Portuguese, it would be nice to know what the
            status is of Ver5, and what they're yakking about. The forum is still
            active;

            http://www.turbocnc.com.br/forum/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=e1bd9152003a52860fb47ef5b346696e

            Roland

            2009/12/7 Jerry Jankura <toolznglue@...>

> [...]
            > image. You simply download it, boot from the CD and try it. If you like it,
            > you can install from the live CD. I've been using EMC for quite a while and
            > am quite happy with it. It requires a more powerful machine than any of the
            > DOS G-Code interpreters, but nothing as powerful as Mach, primarily because
            > Linux doesn't have Windows' hearty appetite for CPU cycles. I'm using a
            > Cybernet Elite-II "PC in a keyboard" that I purchased used a couple of years
            > ago. The particular computer has a 1.6 GHz pentium, 512 Mbytes of PC133
            > memory, a CD drive, parallel printer port, and 4 USB connectors. When I
            > purchased it, the cost was $119 USD. To that, I added a LCD screen monitor.
            > I've been quite happy with that combination. I've got reasonable speed and
            > like the nice smooth motion - even on arcs that pass through one of the

          • dkowalcz2000
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 7, 2009
              Good morning Jan:

              I'll post some more on v5 in a moment, looking through my records, you had a quick setup question back in May '05 and registered v4.01 Mar '08.

              Running a turret lathe with Turbo is fairly bread and butter stuff and well within its capabilities [v4.01] - was there a key bug or feature standing in your way here?

              -Dave Kowalczyk
              http://www.dakeng.com

              --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "on6jg" <inforad@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              > Allready eight months passed by since the last update on Turbocnc5. My last comments on a defective text were not even considered.
              > The Fixture and Tools managing are not working. As I planned to use the software on a lathe with a Tool Turret I do need the updates rather urgently.
              > Are you planning to take it as long as it takes turbocnc4.01 to be updated?
              > Or will it never be updated again as D.K. says, quote:
              >
              > "I'll probably pull the v5 beta off the site soon though - it was a nice experiment but the response from the "fans" was pretty unanimous to stay with DOS for the time being.
              > -Dave Kowalczyk" unquote.
              >
              > If it was only a nice experiment and nothing more can I get my money back?

            • Jan Galicia
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 7, 2009
                I'm so sorry;
                I forgot to mention that I've send this message to A.S.T. Industry
                and a copy to the group.

                Jan Galicia

              • dkowalcz2000
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 7, 2009
                  To all:

                  I can appreciate the frustration at the lack of a new version.

                  Please do not interpret the sparseness of postings from me as an indicator of progress - my day yesterday was a pretty typical Sunday mix of working on TCNC, fixing my car, and socializing with friends & family.

                  In general, I make time to work on this software daily, but as an unrelenting perfectionist I'm not really big on compromising for deadlines. 4.2 has been working tolerably well in my own shop so far, but there's a fair bit to go on it. For most of you the v4.01 software is working just fine and after circa 5 years I'd like you folks to be "wow'd" proper.

                  AST Industria (the v5 guys) have been a bit of a "nuisance business partner" - as they're treating the users somewhat shabbily (apparently), and haven't given me a single red cent yet either (originally they were to share some of the $100/reg in exchange for my permission to distribute it).

                  I don't have the source to compile it, but as long as they're "supporting" it it's sort of an albatross from my vantage point.

                  The main problem is that they're still using my name & code and there's not a whole lot I can do about things going on in Brazil except make it clear here that (a) it's a separate product from what I offer and (b) I'm not cool with their business practices either.

                  -Dave Kowalczyk
                  http://www.dakeng.com

                  --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Demand" <jdemand@...> wrote:

                  > on6jg,
                  >
                  > For someone without a real name you sure bitch a lot.
                  >
                  > Regular Turbo is a pure dos program, lots of us are quite comfortable with
                  > a C: prompt, and probably rightfully scared of a windows logon screen on a
                  > machine tool.
                  >
                  > V5 is as I understand a win version being ported over by some folks in
                  > Brazil, not Dave's work at all.
                  >
                  > jeffD

                  {snip}
                • Roland Jollivet
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 7, 2009
                    But Dave, it will never be 'perfect'. That's the nature of software, mostly
                    because different people are going to use it and they'll all pull in
                    different directions.

                    Why not release what you have, as beta, to restore confidence and let it be
                    tested. Then you don't have to waste time doing the testing.
                    I'm sure you have lost a lot of customers to other packages because of
                    absolutely No(visible) activity on development.
                    A 'wow' party six years down the line will be a bit flat when everybody's
                    gone home?

                    Roland

                    2009/12/7 dkowalcz2000 <dkowalcz@...>

                    > To all:
                    >
                    > I can appreciate the frustration at the lack of a new version.
                    >
                    > Please do not interpret the sparseness of postings from me as an indicator
                    > of progress - my day yesterday was a pretty typical Sunday mix of working on
                    > TCNC, fixing my car, and socializing with friends & family.
                    >
                    > In general, I make time to work on this software daily, but as an
                    > unrelenting perfectionist I'm not really big on compromising for deadlines.
                    > 4.2 has been working tolerably well in my own shop so far, but there's a
                    > fair bit to go on it. For most of you the v4.01 software is working just
                    > fine and after circa 5 years I'd like you folks to be "wow'd" proper.
                    >
                    > AST Industria (the v5 guys) have been a bit of a "nuisance business
                    > partner" - as they're treating the users somewhat shabbily (apparently), and
                    > haven't given me a single red cent yet either (originally they were to share
                    > some of the $100/reg in exchange for my permission to distribute it).
                    >
                    > I don't have the source to compile it, but as long as they're "supporting"
                    > it it's sort of an albatross from my vantage point.
                    >
                    > The main problem is that they're still using my name & code and there's not
                    > a whole lot I can do about things going on in Brazil except make it clear
                    > here that (a) it's a separate product from what I offer and (b) I'm not cool
                    > with their business practices either.
                    >

                    > -Dave Kowalczyk
                    > http://www.dakeng.com
                    >
                    > --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com <turbocnc%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jeff
                    > Demand" <jdemand@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > on6jg,
                    > >
                    > > For someone without a real name you sure bitch a lot.
                    > >
                    > > Regular Turbo is a pure dos program, lots of us are quite comfortable
                    > with
                    > > a C: prompt, and probably rightfully scared of a windows logon screen on
                    > > machine tool.
                    > >
                    > > V5 is as I understand a win version being ported over by some folks in
                    > > Brazil, not Dave's work at all.
                    > >
                    > > jeffD

                  • Andrew Mathison
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 7, 2009
                      Hi Jerry Jankura

                      I agree with your (excellent) recent post, why would anyone buy a Windows program and use Windows, when there are cheap or free programs that run on older hardware under DOS or Linux perfectly....?

                      For a shop/business it is maybe a different kettle of fish, but for us private Guys, I'm 100% with you.

                      Even if money was no object, I would still not want a modern Windows (98SE I might accept when using a DOS program) running in the background somewhere while Routing......I am Picky on that point (as many are!). Linux I would gladly accept! Actually I will accept it soon as I am planning on moving to emc2 once my new stepper driver PCB with SLA7078MPR chips is finished......and debugged!!

                      You bring a sane voice to this blog, many thanks for that.

                      Regards

                      Andy

                    • Andrew Mathison
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 7, 2009
                        Dear dkowalcz2000

                        sorry to hear that they are treating you so shabbily, and their "new" customers as well.....

                        Maybe this information should be "shared" around by us all......?

                        Greetings from

                        Andy Mathison

                      • rotarysmp
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 7, 2009
                          Hello Dave,

                          I agree with Roland. No matter how hard a single developer tries, once the software goes out, the diverse user base will find issues which you probably will not have considered.

                          I thought that big push to do V4 with a Jerry and ?? was a great team, and was happy to be involved in a small way with testing a metric diameter lathe, and german keyboard computer.

                          I would be happy to help with testing a beta of V4.2. I like V4.01, but the mixed fixture, machine, tool offset system doesn't work for me at all. I have about 20 tool holders for my Lathe, and would love to have a functioning, reliable, tool offset system which doesn't blow out if I do a G92 to set a specific machine offset for a one off job.

                          TurboCNC still has a hard core of fans. We would be happy to help you improve software.

                          Regards,
                          Mark
                        • Fendel
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 8, 2009
                            Dear Dave and dear others

                            As a brasilian member of forum GUIACNC and user of your admirable Turbocnc
                            http://www.guiacnc.com.br/index.php?topic=3549.new;topicseen#new
                            We are unhappy with the story...
                            Much members from our brasilian forum tried to help the developer boys with good sugestions, tests and work, but, I think they are green and fearless...

                            Best regards
                            www.fendel.com.br

                          • rlwoodjr11
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 8, 2009
                              Hello Dave,
                              I would agree with Roland and Mark. I would love to test drive the latest version. I have several jobs lined up on the router...Christmas gift projects.

                              Best regards,
                              Bob

                              --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "rotarysmp" <mark.wrathall@...> wrote:

                              > Hello Dave,
                              >
                              > I agree with Roland. No matter how hard a single developer tries, once the software goes out, the diverse user base will find issues which you probably will not have considered.
                              >
                              > I thought that big push to do V4 with a Jerry and ?? was a great team, and was happy to be involved in a small way with testing a metric diameter lathe, and german keyboard computer.
                              >
                              > I would be happy to help with testing a beta of V4.2. I like V4.01, but the mixed fixture, machine, tool offset system doesn't work for me at all. I have about 20 tool holders for my Lathe, and would love to have a functioning, reliable, tool offset system which doesn't blow out if I do a G92 to set a specific machine offset for a one off job.
                              >
                              > TurboCNC still has a hard core of fans. We would be happy to help you improve software.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > Mark

                            • Dave Kowalczyk
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 8, 2009
                                Fendel, et al:

                                Thanks, AST sent me a polite email about this earlier today and so we're
                                resolving things offline. I'll keep you all posted on what eventually
                                transpires.

                                I think we've all been "green and fearless" at some point in our lives.
                                At 34, I'm not quite sure I've outgrown that stage yet myself... :)

                                -Dave Kowalczyk
                                http://www.dakeng.com

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 8, 2009
                                  Dave,

                                  You have written a very good DOS program I depend on almost every day. My
                                  praise on your good work over the years.

                                  The "green and fearless" I can really understand. I'm a couple of decades
                                  ahead of you.The non green stage tanked for me years ago. It is even more
                                  fun the second time down that slippery slope.

                                  -

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 8, 2009
                                    On Dec 8, 2009, at 8:21 PM, Dave Kowalczyk wrote:

                                    > I think we've all been "green and fearless" at some point in our lives.
                                    > At 34, I'm not quite sure I've outgrown that stage yet myself... :)

                                    Hi, Dave K:

                                    I've got thirty years on you and I KNOW I haven't outgrown that stage. Hope I don't till I'm looking at the roots. Like the others, I'd sure like to have a look at 4.2 in its current form. Like they say, you'll never get it fully tested until you unleash it on the users who'll do things with it that you've never dreamed of.

                                    Jerry Jankura
                                    So many toys.... So little time....
                                  • Andrew Mathison