Re: Parallel Port Question

  • andrew.mathison
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
      > Hi All,
      >
      > I am new to the CNC world. I am trying to build a three axis machine. Something simple and small.
      >
      > I have no problem with the first axis (using parallel ports 2,3,4,5) and I have no problem with the second axis (using parallel ports 6,7,8,9) but I can get anything for the third axis (ports 1,14,16,17).
      >
      > I removed the motors and replaced them with light emitting diodes. I see a signal coming from all of the ports except 1, 14, 15, 17.
      >
      > Does anybody have any suggestions how I can debug this problem?
      >
      > ....timmy king
      > Boston, Massachusetts

      I am wondering if you have looked at this list of the pins, it appears that you have mixed input and output pins on the last (problem)connection. Where all the other pins (the ones that work!)were output only, did you intend to do that?:-
      Pin Signal Comments
      1 nStrobe from computer, negative pulse tells device data is ready
      2 Data 0 data from computer (least significant bit)
      3 Data 1 data from computer
      4 Data 2 data from computer
      5 Data 3 data from computer
      6 Data 4 data from computer
      7 Data 5 data from computer
      8 Data 6 data from computer
      9 Data 7 data from computer (most significant bit)
      10 nAck acknowledge, device sends negative pulse to computer
      11 Busy device sets this high to tell computer it is busy
      12 PError from device to computer
      13 Select from device to computer
      14 nAutoFd from computer to device
      15 nFault from device to computer
      16 nInit from computer to device, negative pulse resets device
      17 nSelectIn from computer to device
      18-25 Ground signal ground
      I am going to try and attach a couple of .pdf documents that I found on the web, maybe they will help you further.
      I am not personally an "expert" yet, but I am working on it!!!!
      Best regards
    • andrew.mathison
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
        --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "andrew.mathison" <andrewdavid.mathison@...> wrote:
        I have posted some simple but useful documentation about the parallel port, simple interfacing, infos about each pin, Hi or Lo output or input. I hope this helps you. Look under files not attachments....
        Regards
        Andy

        > > Hi All,
        > >
        > > I am new to the CNC world. I am trying to build a three axis machine. Something simple and small.
        > >
        > > I have no problem with the first axis (using parallel ports 2,3,4,5) and I have no problem with the second axis (using parallel ports 6,7,8,9) but I can get anything for the third axis (ports 1,14,16,17).
        > >
        > > I removed the motors and replaced them with light emitting diodes. I see a signal coming from all of the ports except 1, 14, 15, 17.
        > >
        > > Does anybody have any suggestions how I can debug this problem?
        > >
        > > ....timmy king
        > > Boston, Massachusetts
        >
        > I am wondering if you have looked at this list of the pins, it appears that you have mixed input and output pins on the last (problem)connection. Where all the other pins (the ones that work!)were output only, did you intend to do that?:-
        > Pin Signal Comments
        > 1 nStrobe from computer, negative pulse tells device data is ready
        > 2 Data 0 data from computer (least significant bit)
        > 3 Data 1 data from computer
        > 4 Data 2 data from computer
        > 5 Data 3 data from computer
        > 6 Data 4 data from computer
        > 7 Data 5 data from computer
        > 8 Data 6 data from computer
        > 9 Data 7 data from computer (most significant bit)
        > 10 nAck acknowledge, device sends negative pulse to computer
        > 11 Busy device sets this high to tell computer it is busy
        > 12 PError from device to computer
        > 13 Select from device to computer
        > 14 nAutoFd from computer to device
        > 15 nFault from device to computer
        > 16 nInit from computer to device, negative pulse resets device
        > 17 nSelectIn from computer to device
        > 18-25 Ground signal ground
        > I am going to try and attach a couple of .pdf documents that I found on the web, maybe they will help you further.
        > I am not personally an "expert" yet, but I am working on it!!!!
        > Best regards

      • edgukated
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 23, 2009

          > ... and make sure to set up LPT port as standard parrallel port (SPP)
          > and not to EPP or ECP in your computer BIOS.

          Thanks Slavko. I went into the BIOS, the parallel port is set to ECP. So I have to change it. Unfortunately SPP is not an option. The only options (other than ECP and EPP) are AT and PS/2. Are either of these equivalent to SPP?

          ...timmy
        • edgukated
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 23, 2009
            --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "andrew.mathison" <andrewdavid.mathison@...> wrote:

            > Why don't you buy a proper breakout PCB from a company, they are not usually expensive, they have LEDs to indicate activity for each pin, also they have a chip to make 5 volts for the logic from the supply for the stepper motors etc etc....
            > A good example is for example this company, who ship anywhere:-

            Thanks Andrew,
            I will probably end up buying a proper board. I definitely see the benefits.
            But first I want to take a meaningful shot at doing it as cheap as possible. My inital goal is to build something that works for under $100. After that my goal is to build something that works well.
            ...timmy
          • Slavko Kocjancic
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 23, 2009
              edgukated pravi:
              >> ... and make sure to set up LPT port as standard parrallel port (SPP)
              >> and not to EPP or ECP in your computer BIOS.
              >>

              > Thanks Slavko. I went into the BIOS, the parallel port is set to ECP. So I have to change it. Unfortunately SPP is not an option. The only options (other than ECP and EPP) are AT and PS/2. Are either of these equivalent to SPP?
              >
              > ...timmy

              AT should be O.K.
            • Andrew Mathison
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 24, 2009
                There are plenty of DIY interfaces on the web, do you need any links?

                Greetings from

                Andy Mathison