TurboCNC on Japanese version keyboard computers

  • stefan_sharpe
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2009
      Hi all,
      I feel a bit snookered!
      I live in Japan, and for the past year I have been working away on my small mill conversion.
      I finished installing steppers on my mill, made a brace, enclosure, and wired up to the plugs for the Gecko540. I found myself a win98 laptop to drive the mill, and all was looking good.
      Next I took the download of Turbo and installed it on my laptop. I have gone through and turned off all of the powersave features I could.
      ....I am sure lots of you can understand the excitement here...
      But nuts! after installing I get a horizontal cream bar across the display.
      At first I thought that the system was crashed, but a hunch that it might be still working led me to try the 'alt' function keys- and I can exit out of the program using the alt keys- so perhaps it is working.

      Talking to a few friends here, it was suggested that there may be a problem with the display- japanese version computers use 2bit characters as they also have to represent chinese characters as well as Roman based.

      If anyone had any experience with any of the problems i have been facing, any advice would be a good send. English version PCs are rare here. :(

      Stefan
    • Alan Marconett
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2009
        You need to change the country codes.

        Alan KM6VV

      • stefan_sharpe
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2009
          --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Marconett" <KM6VV@...> wrote:

          > You need to change the country codes.
          >
          > Alan KM6VV

          How do I go about doing so?

          I could find no reference in the manual.

        • KM6VV
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2009
            It's a windows thing, check in the system parameters, if I recall.

            Alan KM6VV

            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2009
              --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, KM6VV <KM6VV@...> wrote:

              > It's a windows thing, check in the system parameters, if I recall.
              >
              > Alan KM6VV

              I am not a smoking gun with windows, could you be a little more specific? My PC is all in japanese, so I am sometimes feeling my way in the dark... :o
            • Lester Caine
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2009
                stefan_sharpe wrote:
                > --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, KM6VV <KM6VV@...> wrote:
                >> It's a windows thing, check in the system parameters, if I recall.
                >>
                >> Alan KM6VV
                >>

                > I am not a smoking gun with windows, could you be a little more specific? My PC is all in japanese, so I am sometimes feeling my way in the dark... :o

                It is unlikely that TurboCNC has been built using widestring ( I think
                that was te predecessor to proper unicode ) so you will probably be out
                of luck. There were a number of ways of handling multibyte character
                sets prior to the unicode standard and in many cases they are
                incompatible with single byte character set code :(

                --
                Lester Caine - G8HFL