Re: Version 4.2 of TurboCNC

  • rotarysmp
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hello Dave,

      Glad you are still developing TCNC, (sorry the current downturn is
      what gives you time though).

      I really like TCNC. I like being able to drive the lathe with a P1
      laptop that is so worthless than it doesn't matter if it dies of swarf
      ingestion :)

      For me as a metric lathe user, my wish list would be:

      1/ Separating tool length offsets from work piece offsets, and from
      axis zeroing. As I use my lathe as an all in one hobby machine, I tend
      to swap out the QCTP for; a grinder; a drill for boring, for an
      engraving set up etc. Even when using the QCTP with my 15 tool
      holders, I tend to change around tools in their holders a lot. For
      most of the single piece jobs I do, I tend to just touch off and zero,
      so using the tool offset system at present doesn't really work for me.

      2/ Fixing metric/imperial bugs. When I have used the tool offset
      system, for repetitive parts, I have to swap to radius mode (I
      normally use diameter mode) as the tool offsets accumulate in diameter
      mode. Setting offsets on a diameter mode lathe is a bit of a pain, as
      you have to edit the offsets in the offset table to halve them.

      There are still some foreign keyboard bugs. On the German keyboard the
      zero axis doesn't work in Jog.

      Thanks,
      Mark
    • caritai22
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2008
        Hello,

        Mark write :
        " There are still some foreign keyboard bugs. On the German keyboard
        the zero axis doesn't work in Jog. "

        I'm french and use a french Keyboard.
        If I want to use the zero axis in jog mode when I start the computer
        directly under DOS and start TurboCNC, it does not work.
        But, If I start win98 and start TurboCNC with a automatic reboot
        under MS-DOS, I can use the zero axis in jog mode.

        I hope this info can help.

        Regards

        --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "rotarysmp" <mark.wrathall@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello Dave,
        >
        > Glad you are still developing TCNC, (sorry the current downturn is
        > what gives you time though).
        >
        > I really like TCNC. I like being able to drive the lathe with a P1
        > laptop that is so worthless than it doesn't matter if it dies of
        swarf
        > ingestion :)
        >
        > For me as a metric lathe user, my wish list would be:
        >
        > 1/ Separating tool length offsets from work piece offsets, and from
        > axis zeroing. As I use my lathe as an all in one hobby machine, I
        tend
        > to swap out the QCTP for; a grinder; a drill for boring, for an
        > engraving set up etc. Even when using the QCTP with my 15 tool
        > holders, I tend to change around tools in their holders a lot. For
        > most of the single piece jobs I do, I tend to just touch off and
        zero,
        > so using the tool offset system at present doesn't really work for
        me.

        > 2/ Fixing metric/imperial bugs. When I have used the tool offset
        > system, for repetitive parts, I have to swap to radius mode (I
        > normally use diameter mode) as the tool offsets accumulate in
        diameter
        > mode. Setting offsets on a diameter mode lathe is a bit of a pain,
        as
        > you have to edit the offsets in the offset table to halve them.
        >
        > There are still some foreign keyboard bugs. On the German keyboard
        the
        > zero axis doesn't work in Jog.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mark

      • das_innere_ich
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2008
          Just type in "keyb en" in dos, and you should have all the keys
          reconfigured into a english keyboard. I think that was the command.

          --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "caritai22" <loulou1664@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Mark write :
          > " There are still some foreign keyboard bugs. On the German keyboard
          > the zero axis doesn't work in Jog. "
          >
          > I'm french and use a french Keyboard.
          > If I want to use the zero axis in jog mode when I start the computer
          > directly under DOS and start TurboCNC, it does not work.
          > But, If I start win98 and start TurboCNC with a automatic reboot
          > under MS-DOS, I can use the zero axis in jog mode.
          >
          > I hope this info can help.
          >
          > Regards
          >

          > --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "rotarysmp" <mark.wrathall@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Dave,
          > >
          > > Glad you are still developing TCNC, (sorry the current downturn is
          > > what gives you time though).
          > >
          > > I really like TCNC. I like being able to drive the lathe with a P1
          > > laptop that is so worthless than it doesn't matter if it dies of
          > swarf
          > > ingestion :)
          > >
          > > For me as a metric lathe user, my wish list would be:
          > >
          > > 1/ Separating tool length offsets from work piece offsets, and from
          > > axis zeroing. As I use my lathe as an all in one hobby machine, I
          > tend
          > > to swap out the QCTP for; a grinder; a drill for boring, for an
          > > engraving set up etc. Even when using the QCTP with my 15 tool
          > > holders, I tend to change around tools in their holders a lot. For
          > > most of the single piece jobs I do, I tend to just touch off and
          > zero,
          > > so using the tool offset system at present doesn't really work for
          > me.
          > >
          > > 2/ Fixing metric/imperial bugs. When I have used the tool offset
          > > system, for repetitive parts, I have to swap to radius mode (I
          > > normally use diameter mode) as the tool offsets accumulate in
          > diameter
          > > mode. Setting offsets on a diameter mode lathe is a bit of a pain,
          > as
          > > you have to edit the offsets in the offset table to halve them.
          > >
          > > There are still some foreign keyboard bugs. On the German keyboard
          > the
          > > zero axis doesn't work in Jog.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Mark

        • Victor Faria
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 4, 2008
            Dave,
            You say you don't like the UI.
            Would it be worth while having someone else do the UI. independently of TCNC??
            Another words you do TCNC with the existing UI, and say some user who's a programming guru (not I ) do the user interface but let them charge for it so it's worth their time.
            the only thing that would need to happen would be a way to interface your code to the new UI.
            I'm not sure this is possible, or if you like the idea but just a thought.
            Victor

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 9, 2008
              On DAK web site www.dakeng.com Dave has posted some more info
              on Version 4.2.
              Jack

              --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "Victor Faria" <victorf57@...> wrote:

              > Dave,
              > You say you don't like the UI.
              > Would it be worth while having someone else do the UI. independently
              of TCNC??
              > Another words you do TCNC with the existing UI, and say some user
              who's a programming guru (not I ) do the user interface but let them
              charge for it so it's worth their time.
              > the only thing that would need to happen would be a way to interface
              your code to the new UI.
              > I'm not sure this is possible, or if you like the idea but just a
              thought.
              > Victor

            • das_innere_ich
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 9, 2008
                Thanks for the information.

                Looks good! Should be a pretty nice christmas. Hehe.