RE: [turbocnc] Help With MeshCAM and Line Drawings....

  • McKee, Don {Quaker}
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
      Just a guess, but I would say that saving the drawing as a .bmp file is
      what you did wrong. If you zoom in on a .bmp file you will see that it
      is not a smooth line but rather a series of short straight lines that
      from a distance look like a curve. The Z axis is raising and lowering
      each time it comes to the end of one of these short lines. You need to
      save the drawing as a vector image, not a raster image, i.e. save the
      image as a .dxf file not a .bmp file.

      Don

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
        I've not used either program, but if you can get the file format to .stl ,
        that would be best. I see that Google sketch outputs 3D .dxf , and does it
        it in the same triangle format as a .stl . I don't know how similar the file
        formats are.

        Otherwise find a cheap(free?) 3D drawing program that exports as .stl

        2008/10/1 McKee, Don {Quaker} <donmckee@...>

        > Just a guess, but I would say that saving the drawing as a .bmp file is
        > what you did wrong. If you zoom in on a .bmp file you will see that it
        > is not a smooth line but rather a series of short straight lines that
        > from a distance look like a curve. The Z axis is raising and lowering
        > each time it comes to the end of one of these short lines. You need to
        > save the drawing as a vector image, not a raster image, i.e. save the
        > image as a .dxf file not a .bmp file.
        >
        > Don
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Jeff Demand
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
          Patrick,

          Standard MeshCam is designed to cut complex surfaces from a .stl or .dxf
          file. The Art version will allow you to make 3D solids from bit map files
          but you have to be careful. It works from the grey value, with an
          anti-aliased image PhotoShop will throw in all sorts of extra greys to make
          the image look smooth. MC interprets these greys as a different Z height.
          Try saving your .bmp without anti-aliasing or smoothing. And MC does tend
          to throw in some rather weird Z moves :-)

          Jeff (long time abuser of MC)

          >> OK, I decided to try MeshCAM for generating the g-code for
          >> TurboCNC,
          >> but I'm having some issues that I hope someone can help me with.
          >>
          >> I created a very simple line drawing of an RC airplane wing rib
          >> in
          >> Adobe Photoshop, and saved it as a .bmp image. I then import
          >> that
          >> into MeshCAM and edit the tool settings and what not.
          >>
          >> After I export the g-code and run it in TurboCNC, my Z axis
          >> moves up
          >> and down and up and down, and ect while it runs through the
          >> code. The
          >> X and Y axis move as well, but it doesn't make sense why the Z
          >> axis
          >> is going crazy like this.
          >>
          >> Can anyone give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong and maybe
          >> what
          >> to look for in my settings?
          >>
          >> Thanks for any help,
          >> Patrick