Home Position

  • ecope76
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2008
      Hello group,

      I almost have my machine up and running, but I have two questions for
      now.

      1. Where is the home position located (physical) on the machine?

      ex. X = all the way back, Y = center in table, Z = all the way to the
      top

      After I position the table and the Z axis to where I want them, do I
      set it up in TurboCNC?

      2. I am using a taig mill and was wondering if anyone has a chart
      showing which pulley combination results in what RPM the spindle is
      running?

      Thanks,

      Eric
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2008
        Well the standard set up is to have the Z be the up/down, the X left
        /right, and the Y in/out. The home tends to be Z up, Y all the way back and
        X all the way left or right. Mostly the only thing it's for is to set your
        software limits, so you can't run slam the axes further then it can move
        (that's also what limit switches are for, but at rapid it sometimes takes a
        bit to stop). Where you set X=0, Y=0, Z=0 doesn't have to be home. Most of
        the time it's where ever on the part or fixture you wish to use as a
        referance. Most of the time Z is the top of the work piece and XY is the
        center or corner, but that totaly depends on the part you are making and
        your setup.

        From: "ecope76" <ecope76@...>
        Subject: [turbocnc] Home Position

        > 1. Where is the home position located (physical) on the machine?
        >
        > ex. X = all the way back, Y = center in table, Z = all the way to the
        > top
        >
        > After I position the table and the Z axis to where I want them, do I
        > set it up in TurboCNC?
      • Tracy Presnell
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2008
          If we go by the book, and you want all moves to reference from the 0
          point in a positive direction on the XY and the negative on the Z, then
          you will have the table all the way to the right (head to the left), and
          all the way forward (head to the rear) and the Z all the way up. All XY
          moves will then be positive and all Z moves negative from the home position.

          Of course, machine home position and vice or jig 0,0,0 can be different
          positions. Normally, one will home the machine on startup and then
          convert to vice or jig 0,0,0 with either a G92 command or by issuing a
          G0X0Y0 command with the vice or jig zero position active (G5x).

          I'm not sure of how Turbo handles that exactly because I haven't used it
          much. I assume that you set the vice or jig zero point in the setup and
          the program takes care of it. You will need to read in the manual to
          know for sure.

          I have the pulley sheet for the Taig but it may not apply depending on
          which motor you have. But it's easy to figure, just measure the grooves
          of the pulleys and calculate the ratio (IE: drive pulley is .75 and
          driven pulley is 2.5" = 3.33 ratio) for each groove. Multiply the ratio
          times the motor speed and you get spindle speed (IE: motor speed 1750 x
          3.33 = 5828 spindle RPM). Of course, if the drive pulley is larger then
          the ratio is the opposite (IE: drive is 2.5" and driven is .75 = .3
          ratio x 1750 RPM = 525 spindle RPM).

          Tracy

          ecope76 wrote:
          > Hello group,
          >
          > I almost have my machine up and running, but I have two questions for
          > now.
          >
          > 1. Where is the home position located (physical) on the machine?
          >
          > ex. X = all the way back, Y = center in table, Z = all the way to the
          > top
          >
          > After I position the table and the Z axis to where I want them, do I
          > set it up in TurboCNC?
          >
          > 2. I am using a taig mill and was wondering if anyone has a chart
          > showing which pulley combination results in what RPM the spindle is
          > running?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Eric

        • Dave Kowalczyk
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2008
            Eric:

            Once your machine is in position, issue one of the following commands:

            - Setup --> MDI Mode... --> G92 X0 Y0 Z0

            - Setup --> Jog Machine... --> Alt+Z (zero all axes)

            For the sake of terminology, this is usually called the "origin
            point" on a CNC machine. You can set it anywhere you want. By
            convention, usually Z=0 when the tool touches the top of your part.

            "Home position" typically refers to a reference point established by
            switches near the end of travel on each axis. This is wherever the
            switches are.

            Have fun!

            Dave Kowalczyk
            www.dakeng.com