Apology

  • cncnovice
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
      OK group,
      Consider me properly castigated, and flamed to a burnt cinder. I
      accept it with no animosity towards any. Perhaps I deserve it, but
      at least I did accomplish one of my goals; to get you all thinking
      of where do we go next if Dave truly has dropped out.

      Perhaps I was too harsh or blunt in the wording of my complaint
      about the sudden lack of promised support and upgrades for TNTC 4,
      but I am still disappointed at the near total lack of code support
      and bug elimination we are now experiencing. Those of you with
      unanswered emails must know what I mean.

      At the very least, Dave K. should let members (or others) of the
      original team that he formed who developed Ver. 4.0 continue. We
      all would gain in that manner, including Dave K. I wish I was a
      good enough programmer to contribute, but I don't have enough
      experience or time to participate in the development.

      As to making TNTC open source code, I think that, no, I do not
      agree. It is Dave's intellectual property, and he should do with it
      as he pleases.

      Yes, TNTC is a fantastic bargain as some of you have pointed out,
      and it represents a lot of invested time. I just became frustrated
      with seeing it apparently begin to 'wither on the vine', so to
      speak. I believe it could be heading the way of CNCPro and other
      programs.

      Of course the money involved is minuscule, and we all do have other
      choices for software.

      Dave, and all, please accept my sincere apology if you considered my
      message offensive. It really was not intended to be that way. I
      only wanted to spur conversation and hoped to encourage further
      continued development. Late at night, and perhaps with one drink
      too many, I apparently did not do it properly.

      John Champlain
    • Carl Petersen
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
        While I'm not a prodigious poster let me make an offer in regard to the
        future development of TCNC. The only way I know how share a code base and
        produce specific releases and/or functional offshoots is to keep the code
        base under a software control program. I have a server which could host such
        a program on the internet and if there is agreement I could help set it up.

        All of this would have to happen with Dave's consent and support.

        I'm also not advocating that this program be distributed under one of the
        open source licenses. As already stated in previous postings the code should
        remain Dave's property but available to people with the magic password for
        bug fixes or enhancements in an orderly reproducible manner.

        Let the list know what you think.

        Regards,
        Carl Petersen
      • Carol & Jerry Jankura
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
          Hi, John:
          > At the very least, Dave K. should let members (or others) of the
          > original team that he formed who developed Ver. 4.0 continue. We
          > all would gain in that manner, including Dave K. I wish I was a
          > good enough programmer to contribute, but I don't have enough
          > experience or time to participate in the development.

          Anyone, including Tony and me, who is a registered user and has legal
          access to the source code IS free to continue developing TurboCNC and is
          free to post unencrypted executables in the files area of this list. As
          for myself, the only mods I've put into the code recently was to add a
          function that truncated, rather than rounded, a real number when it
          converted it into an integer. the INT command in the language is
          actually a ROUND command. I haven't bothered with uploading a copy
          simply because the addition is minimal.
          > As to making TNTC open source code, I think that, no, I do not
          > agree. It is Dave's intellectual property, and he should do with it
          > as he pleases.

          And, making it open source is one of his options, should he choose to do
          so. A real issue for folks who want to develop TurboCNC is finding a
          copy of the Borland Pascal compiler, as release 4.x is compiled as a
          protected mode DOS program. Borland Pascal (or a modified version of
          Delphi-1) compiles it properly. Borland's TurboPascal does not. I know
          that Dave's been moving back to the Real mode so he can use a real time
          clock instruction that will allow a faster, more stable step pulse, He's
          done this by really cleaning up the TUI code and tossing out those items
          which TurboCNC does not use.

          -- Jerry J.