usability

  • Jymmm
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2006
      Hi Dave,

      If you're serious about UI layout/design feedback, ideas, etc,
      I could dump a boatload on ya!

      And if you're REALLY sadistic, think Frame Buffer <evil grin>.

      Let me know on list or offline, your choice.
      Jim...

      > If you're getting stuck on this and yet you're able to use a computer
      > well
      > enough to find this user group, there must be a usability problem with
      > TCNC.
      > I'd love to know how it can be improved.
      >
      > Dave Kowalczyk
      > Kent, WA
      > TurboCNC software --> http://www.dakeng.com/turbo.html

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Jymmm
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2006
        Hi Dave,

        If you're serious about UI layout/design feedback, ideas, etc,
        I could dump a boatload on ya!

        And if you're REALLY sadistic, think Frame Buffer <evil grin>.

        Let me know on list or offline, your choice.
        Jim...

        > If you're getting stuck on this and yet you're able to use a computer
        > well enough to find this user group, there must be a usability problem
        > with TCNC. I'd love to know how it can be improved.
        >
        > Dave Kowalczyk

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Carol & Jerry Jankura
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2006
          Hi, Jim:

          It'd be nice if you kept this ON LIST, as I'm sure that a lot of us have
          ideas. Since many of us have the source, we could all play around if the
          spirit moved us.

          -- Jerry

          > Hi Dave,
          >
          > If you're serious about UI layout/design feedback, ideas,
          > etc, I could dump a boatload on ya!
          >
          > And if you're REALLY sadistic, think Frame Buffer <evil grin>.
          >
          > Let me know on list or offline, your choice.
          > Jim...

        • Dave Kowalczyk
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2006
            Hey Jim:

            Bring it on!! (as W would say)...

            Just to keep everyone informed, I've been doing pretty well so far running
            my own jobshop in the garage, using Turbo of course and the trusty 7x10 to
            crank out parts. It's been pretty rough on the lathe though - Ive had to
            replace everything on it pretty much except the bed to get it to work to
            production standards (and even the bed is going away soon). This keeps me
            extremely busy, but it's a fun busy, not a drudge at all.

            I've been knocking bugs out of the software pretty regularly, and things
            are taking shape. Working with it all day forces me to take note of things
            that are wrong, like:

            - Memory leaks, it runs differently for different people, or on different
            computers.

            - The jog screen is a real steamer, even I make setup mistakes all the time
            on it owing to its awkwardness.

            - The editor acts wierd if you hold down delete too long and gobble up
            several lines at once.

            - I've confirmed the tool offset "creep" on a lathe (although I haven't
            fixed it yet). I was drilling thru aluminum with a carbide drill on a 1000
            part run, just simple bushings. It got ever so slightly further off center
            with each part until *BLAM*. Carbide fragments all over the shop.

            - Not to mention the now famous arc feedrate and pause for the backlash.

            These are the obvious bugs, but I'm more interested in hearing about
            usability things since they're so subjective. All I can identify off the
            top is the jogscreen, and probably the axis speed settings ought to be
            seperate from the pin layout with a setup gizmo for tweaking the speeds.
            Probably wouldn't hurt to make the tool offset setup more intuitive
            either...

            So let's hear it. I'm considering a maintenance release soon for the bugs
            and some of the simpler features, so if the changes aren't too ambitious I
            can shoehorn it in.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2006
              Dave Kowalczyk wrote:
              > So let's hear it. I'm considering a maintenance release soon for the bugs
              > and some of the simpler features, so if the changes aren't too ambitious I
              > can shoehorn it in.

              Dave, is there a list of known bugs somewhere? I knew of a few bugs,
              but I don't want to report known issues.

              Dave K
            • Tracy Presnell
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2006
                Dave K,

                This is just food for thought.

                The look-ahead problem with arcs has been discussed regularly and, as I
                understand it, may not be the easiest thing to deal with. However, in
                the interim, would another code that prevents the decel-accel from
                taking place when doing arcs of greater than 90° or when many arcs are
                linked together (like some G-code generators write code) be possible?

                The reason I even bring this up is because I program for a BOSS 5
                Bridgeport and when you want to do an arc > than 90° (multi-quadrant) or
                a complete circle you have to invoke a G75 before programming the arcs.
                Could a G-code be written that would be placed at the beginning and
                another at the end of multiple arcs or >90° arcs that would inhibit the
                decel-accel that normally takes place?

                I thought that maybe it would be a workaround until a suitable
                look-ahead fix has been developed.

                Tracy

                Codesuidae wrote:

                >Dave Kowalczyk wrote:
                >

                >> So let's hear it. I'm considering a maintenance release soon for the bugs
                >>and some of the simpler features, so if the changes aren't too ambitious I
                >>can shoehorn it in.

              • Dave Kowalczyk
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2006
                  Dave:

                  http://www.dakeng.com/man/tcncbugsfeatures.html

                  I've updated it just now to be current. Many of those bugs are
                  suspected to be memory leak related, we'll see how many go away with
                  the next release. Usually if it can be duplicated, it's an algorithm bug.

                  Dave Kowalczyk
                  Kent, WA

                  {snip}