Re: MDI stops working

  • neilalbert2001
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
      Please note that the MDI feature works very well in general, and was a
      great enhancement to the interface of the earlier TCNC version.
      I felt I should mention it to put it on my wish list after hearing
      about a version 4.02 possibly to be released in the near future.

      Neil
      --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "neilalbert2001" <neilalbert@c...> wrote:

      > I've observed the following problem with v4.01.
      >
      > After the program has been running for some time, I find that F9 MDI
      > will stop working. Restarting TurboCNC always fixes the problem (if yo
      > are aware of it.) However, when issuing a G92 command to set a reference
      > dimension, since no movement is expected, it sometimes go unnoticed
      > causing the reference to be off and not picked up until the part is
      > inspected.
      >
      > I sometimes catch the problem right away, when I check the readout,
      > and see thgat it does not match the intended dimension, but sometimes
      > I miss it, and the result is wasted work and material.
      >

      > Neil Albert

    • Neil Albert
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 11, 2006
        I'd like to report that my previously oberved problem with MDI not
        working for G92 occured again today. Oddly, when I took the
        opportunity to test other commands, G00 specifically is what I tried,
        it worked fine. Only G92 seemed to be affected. I exited MDI went into
        JOG and then back into MDI. The problem was still happenomg, so I
        restarted TCNC, after which the problem dissapeared.

        Neil Albert
        NFA Technology, Inc
        --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "neilalbert2001" <neilalbert@...> wrote:

        > I've observed the following problem with v4.01.
        >
        > After the program has been running for some time, I find that F9 MDI
        > will stop working. Restarting TurboCNC always fixes the problem (if yo
        > are aware of it.) However, when issuing a G92 command to set a reference
        > dimension, since no movement is expected, it sometimes go unnoticed
        > causing the reference to be off and not picked up until the part is
        > inspected.
        >
        > I sometimes catch the problem right away, when I check the readout,
        > and see thgat it does not match the intended dimension, but sometimes
        > I miss it, and the result is wasted work and material.
        >

        > Neil Albert

      • Dave Kowalczyk
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12, 2006
          Neil:

          Thanks for pointing this out; knowing that G92 is affected first is a good
          clue. I've been sifting through the code for memory leaks and found a bunch
          of funny things going on in the ini reading unit, which I've corrected
          tonight... Not a smoking gun, but a good step forward.

          Sorry about the frustration in the meantime.

          Yours,
          Dave Kowalczyk
          (dkowalcz@...)

          I'd like to report that my previously oberved problem with MDI not
          working for G92 occured again today. Oddly, when I took the
          opportunity to test other commands, G00 specifically is what I tried,
          it worked fine. Only G92 seemed to be affected. I exited MDI went into
          JOG and then back into MDI. The problem was still happenomg, so I
          restarted TCNC, after which the problem dissapeared.

          Neil Albert
          NFA Technology, Inc
          --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "neilalbert2001" <neilalbert@...> wrote:

          > I've observed the following problem with v4.01.
          >
          > After the program has been running for some time, I find that F9 MDI
          > will stop working. Restarting TurboCNC always fixes the problem (if yo
          > are aware of it.) However, when issuing a G92 command to set a reference
          > dimension, since no movement is expected, it sometimes go unnoticed
          > causing the reference to be off and not picked up until the part is
          > inspected.
          >
          > I sometimes catch the problem right away, when I check the readout,
          > and see thgat it does not match the intended dimension, but sometimes
          > I miss it, and the result is wasted work and material.
          >

          > Neil Albert

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Neil Albert
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2006
            Deave,

            Thanks so much for looking into this. In the meantime I'll be on the
            alert checking the readout, so I don't get caught with egg on my face.

            I've been out of the loop for a bit, at least as far as the group.
            Are changes to the program available prior to an new version release,
            such as source code which would need to be compiled manually?

            Although, the same problem per se, I have a thread cutting for a
            rotary table which, so far, I'm forced to run on v3. I much prefer the
            interface with v4, but more than this, having to switch back and forth
            lends itself to human (Neil) error. Has this been addressed? V4 bombs
            out when given a negative angle. Due to a number of constraints the
            only work around I can think of is to have a different ini for running
            this program which reverses the direction pin polarity for A.

            Thank, again.
            Neil

            --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kowalczyk" <dkowalcz@...> wrote:

            > Neil:
            >
            > Thanks for pointing this out; knowing that G92 is affected first
            is a good
            > clue. I've been sifting through the code for memory leaks and found
            a bunch
            > of funny things going on in the ini reading unit, which I've corrected
            > tonight... Not a smoking gun, but a good step forward.
            >
            > Sorry about the frustration in the meantime.
            >
            > Yours,
            > Dave Kowalczyk
            > (dkowalcz@...)

          • Dave Kowalczyk
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2006
              Neil:

              If you can send me your offline email address (send to
              admin_at_dakeng_dot_com) that you can get big-ish attachments on I can send
              you an advance build, which is an exe that isn't "blessed" yet but probably
              far better than the 4.01 release. The negative angle issue I believe I've
              already fixed explicitly, the memory issues are a bit harder but I'd expect
              that they'd be mostly gone by now.

              Thanks!

              Yours,
              Dave Kowalczyk
              Kent, WA

              Thanks so much for looking into this. In the meantime I'll be on the
              alert checking the readout, so I don't get caught with egg on my face.

              I've been out of the loop for a bit, at least as far as the group.
              Are changes to the program available prior to an new version release,
              such as source code which would need to be compiled manually?

              Although, the same problem per se, I have a thread cutting for a
              rotary table which, so far, I'm forced to run on v3. I much prefer the
              interface with v4, but more than this, having to switch back and forth
              lends itself to human (Neil) error. Has this been addressed? V4 bombs
              out when given a negative angle. Due to a number of constraints the
              only work around I can think of is to have a different ini for running
              this program which reverses the direction pin polarity for A.

              Thank, again.
              Neil

              --- In turbocnc@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kowalczyk" <dkowalcz@...> wrote:

              > Neil:
              >
              > Thanks for pointing this out; knowing that G92 is affected first
              is a good
              > clue. I've been sifting through the code for memory leaks and found
              a bunch
              > of funny things going on in the ini reading unit, which I've corrected
              > tonight... Not a smoking gun, but a good step forward.
              >
              > Sorry about the frustration in the meantime.
              >
              > Yours,
              > Dave Kowalczyk
              > (dkowalcz@...)

              Yahoo! Groups Links