RE: [turbocnc] Re: Moving from home position goes negative

  • Carol & Jerry Jankura
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi, Jaime:

      > I got the X and Y all set correctly as per your previous explanation.
      > Now for the Z axis. The Z axis is at home when it is all way
      > up. When I press PgUp, it goes up and PgDn makes it come
      > down. But when I come down, the numbers in TurboCNC are
      > showing negative. I would think when it would go down that
      > it would be positive. If I reverse it, then the PgDn and
      > PgUp wouldn't make sense to me. What am I missing on this one?

      Your system is showing the correct information. When you home the machine,
      you've set the zero location. If the tool moves down from that zero, it's
      moving in the negative direction, so your display should show negative.

      Typically, I'll do one of two things when I'm making a part:

      1. I'll set the zero location to the table. (You can move the tool until it
      is touching the table using the jog, then either use jog's zero axis or G92
      to set the Z location to zero) If I do this, then any negative location I
      see for Z will drive the tool into the table and, as such, is to be avoided.
      The reason I do this is because Vector CAD/CAM can be configured to show
      negative locations in red.

      2. I'll set the zero location to the top of the material. Usually, I'll have
      some kind of sacrificial plate sandwiched between the material and the
      table. I do this if I'm milling out holes in a plate for connectors, etc.
      I'll set Z to about 0.010 less than the material's thickness. For example,
      if I'm cutting through 0.062 material, I'll set Z to -0.072. I usually use
      scraps of MDF from the woodworking shop as my sacrificial plate.

      -- Jerry Jankura
      TurboCNC Development Team

    • Jaime Pirnie
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
        Thanks for the info Jerry. Again, very useful information.

        -Jaime

        > I got the X and Y all set correctly as per your previous explanation.
        > Now for the Z axis. The Z axis is at home when it is all way
        > up. When I press PgUp, it goes up and PgDn makes it come
        > down. But when I come down, the numbers in TurboCNC are
        > showing negative. I would think when it would go down that
        > it would be positive. If I reverse it, then the PgDn and
        > PgUp wouldn't make sense to me. What am I missing on this one?

        Your system is showing the correct information. When you home the
        machine,
        you've set the zero location. If the tool moves down from that zero,
        it's
        moving in the negative direction, so your display should show negative.

        Typically, I'll do one of two things when I'm making a part:

        1. I'll set the zero location to the table. (You can move the tool until
        it
        is touching the table using the jog, then either use jog's zero axis or
        G92
        to set the Z location to zero) If I do this, then any negative location
        see for Z will drive the tool into the table and, as such, is to be
        avoided.
        The reason I do this is because Vector CAD/CAM can be configured to show
        negative locations in red.

        2. I'll set the zero location to the top of the material. Usually, I'll
        have
        some kind of sacrificial plate sandwiched between the material and the
        table. I do this if I'm milling out holes in a plate for connectors,
        etc.
        I'll set Z to about 0.010 less than the material's thickness. For
        example,
        if I'm cutting through 0.062 material, I'll set Z to -0.072. I usually
        use
        scraps of MDF from the woodworking shop as my sacrificial plate.

        -- Jerry Jankura
        TurboCNC Development Team

        8/30/2005

        Yahoo! Groups Links