Re: cutting radius on lathe

  • dkowalcz2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002
      Ed,

      The software cuts "on the radius" for lathe operations, mainly
      because no one has asked for diameter programming yet. So if the
      centerline of the part is at 0 in X:

      G01 X-.250 ; 1/2" dia
      G01 Z-(something)

      starts making a 1/2" round bar. This is the way I've always
      programmed lathes. Eventually I'll be supporting this as an option,
      which does the same thing on many other controls:

      G01 X.500 ; 1/2" dia
      G01 Z-(something)

      As long as you don't program arcs, you can "cheat" by lying to the
      control about what the step size is on the X axis and reversing the
      direction sense to use the diameter format.

      Dave Kowalczyk
      Everett WA

      --- In turbocnc@y..., "jrcat0" <eheil@s...> wrote:
      > does anyone have trouble with cutting a radius on lathe the x is
      half
      > the distance of the z and iam using 2 deg motors so x is .000064
      per
      > step the z is .0001388 per step does the software have trouble with
      > this math i would like any comments on using turbocnc on lathe
      thanks