Re: Locomotive

  • genewardsmith
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
      --- In tuning@yahoogroups.com, Mike Battaglia <battaglia01@...> wrote:

      > a) I thought the zeta tuning involved taking the integral between two zeros?

      That seems to be the zeta goodness figure which works the best.

      > b) I also thought the zeta tuning involved doing (t+s)/2, where t and
      > s are two successive renormalized zeroes?

      That can also be done, and is a lot easier.

      > c) Is there any way, if you ever have a sec, I could get a list of the
      > first few zeta zeroes unrounded? I'd appreciate it and it would be
      > useful for me to figure out what the heck is going on.

      I'll email it. Do you want the actual zeros, or the zeros normalized so as to correspond to equal divisions?
    • Mike Battaglia
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
        On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 1:28 AM, genewardsmith
        <genewardsmith@...> wrote:

        > --- In tuning@yahoogroups.com, Mike Battaglia <battaglia01@...> wrote:
        >
        > > a) I thought the zeta tuning involved taking the integral between two zeros?
        >
        > That seems to be the zeta goodness figure which works the best.

        But now you're saying we just take the location of the minimum or maximum?

        > > c) Is there any way, if you ever have a sec, I could get a list of the
        > > first few zeta zeroes unrounded? I'd appreciate it and it would be
        > > useful for me to figure out what the heck is going on.
        >
        > I'll email it. Do you want the actual zeros, or the zeros normalized so as to correspond to equal divisions?

        Can you send the normalized ones for equal divisions, just unrounded?
        I'd much appreciate it.

        -Mike
      • genewardsmith
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
          --- In tuning@yahoogroups.com, Mike Battaglia <battaglia01@...> wrote:

          > But now you're saying we just take the location of the minimum or maximum?

          Computing a figure of merit and computing an octave retuning are two completely different problems. For the latter, there's another method which is lightening fast but which isn't as easy to justify, by the way.