Re:Defend your rights with the GCD

  • Carl Lumma
    Message 1 of 130 , Aug 1, 2009
      --- In tuning@yahoogroups.com, "rick_ballan" <rick_ballan@...> wrote:

      > Erlich: "There is a very strong propensity for the ear to try
      > to fit what it hears into one or a small number of harmonic series,
      > and the fundamentals of these series, even if not physically
      > present, are either heard outright, or provide a more subtle sense
      > of overall pitch known to musicians as the "root"."
      >
      > So when Erlich say's "even if not physically present", a study of
      > the waves does in fact show that they are physically present.
      > They are the frequency of the incoming waveform.

      Paul's talking about virtual pitch here, which is a well-accepted
      phenomenon in psychoacoustics. You haven't answered what happens
      when the "frequency" is subsonic. -Carl
    • CDV
      Message 130 of 130 , Oct 1, 2009
        --- In tuning@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Lumma" <carl@...> wrote:
        > > ...http://www.chameleongroup.org.uk/research/link_virtual_analysis.htm> > Steve M.
        >
        > That's an excellent article Steve; thanks for posting it.
        > It's not clear to me who the author is, but it's well-
        > researched and it bridges the gap between music analysis
        > and psychoacoustics nicely.
        > He cites both Fokker and our own Claudio Di Veroli, among
        > others. Claudio- are you still here?
        >
        > -Carl

        Hi Carl,

        no I am no longer active in this forum, which I sometimes regret as a few posts relate to my interests in historical temperaments and some contributors (like yourself) are, IMHO, of a very high level indeed.

        Best wishes to you all.

        Claudio Di Veroli